Notices

Boss o' Nova?

Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boss o' Nova?

Originally Posted by Top Banana
We have a whole section on Wishnick going up on the site next week...also Aronow, Betty Cook, Vincenzo, Billy Martin a whole new look to.....www.historicraceboats.com
Then you'll enjoy the Story in an upcoming issue of EBM about Billy Martin's return to racing with OPA 2006. Ocean City MD was he debute event with his son.
Attached Thumbnails Boss o' Nova?-4-51.jpg  
Old 11-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like he's running an old 36 pleasure Cig?..........cool!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Marco ....this is what you are talking about.

Notice that the Cigarette boat co was so new, they didn't yet have the logo as their brand....the rear of the hull just has the word Cigarette.

We have a whole section on Wishnick going up on the site next week...also Aronow, Betty Cook, Vincenzo, Billy Martin a whole new look to.....www.historicraceboats.com
Charlie,you are right about the logo. In fact the Boss O'Nova was one of the first 36' ever builded by Cigarette.
The sequence should be: Black Tornado, Aeromarie I, and then Lady Nara, Blonde II, Boss O'Nova III(not necessary in that order).

That color photo of the Boss O'Nova III, the only existing to the moment, is beautiful but sinned that it seems to be taken by a picture with a wrong angling that deforms the hull. .... you excuse my pedantry.
I think that it was deal with one of the more' beautiful 36' of the ever builded and coloured.
I'm waiting the interesting new sections on HORBA.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
Then you'll enjoy the Story in an upcoming issue of EBM about Billy Martin's return to racing with OPA 2006. Ocean City MD was he debute event with his son.
Very nice shot Ron!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
I had an office next to Bill Wishnick for a couple of years. Neat guy.

I remember a Bosa Nova with straight shaft inboards sitting behind what is now Lightning Jacks for years. Which one was that? If I recall, it had a reverse angle transom.
Ron
That Boss O'Nova was the former Big Broad Jumper a tin Maritime 32' I think,not the Bertram 31' that had stern drives unit.
But the transom was a right angle...Only the Bertram 31' had a transom similar to the Chris Craft runabout boats,with reverse angle.....
In 1968 Bill Wishnick renamed that Maritime 32' Nova-Boss O'Nova. Then in 1969 he bought from Odell Lewis a Mona Lou Bertram 31' and renamed it Boss O' Nova again.

Do you have an image of that Lightining Jacks?

Last edited by Black Tornado; 11-02-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DelawareRiverRunner
Any Boss O' Nova pics and other info.? Was there a Bertram first then a Cigarette?
Here the three Boss O'Nova. Sorry but I haven't colour images of the Bertram version.

1969- Bertram 31' former Mona Lou IV of Odell Lewis-Mel Riggs.

1970-71 version - Hennessy Cup 1970- version with modified characters of the name and race number.

1971-Cigarette 32'- Boss O'Nova II - Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio 1971,note the deck like that new 36' and different to the typical deck of the Cary 32'. It was builded in the 1971 when Aronow had just open the new Cigarette and was free from business with Elton Cary.
In the background;Black Tornado 31'. It was a Cary 32' cutted some centimeters on the sides and with a new wodden deck. It became the first powerboat toy for the student Hal Sahlman in 1974,like The Little Cigarette.

1972-73 - Wild Willie Boss O'Nova of Willie MacDonald. It was the former Boss O'Nova II.

1971- Cigarette 36' - Boss O'Nova III - Wishnick drove this boat in only few races(1-2 races) in Usa. The boat then rest in the hangar of the Cigarette until in 1973 when Howard Arneson seeing it and bought it.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres One! 1971
Attached Thumbnails Boss o' Nova?-bill%2520wishnick%2520boss%2520o%2527%2520nova.jpg  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow, I had missed this thread the first time around.
I am glad it came back to the fore. Great pictures and explanations. This is why I love this site so much.
Thanks guys.

Phil.

PS, my modest contribution to the subject. A photo of the 32' Cigarette on its way to 2nd place during the 1971 Dauphin D'Or and a view of the transom of the same boat in its original state (before someone put a pair of "clip on" engines).
Attached Thumbnails Boss o' Nova?-bossonova71dauphindor.jpg   Boss o' Nova?-bossonova71transom.jpg  
Old 01-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made an error when labelling my archive. The picture of the transom isn't "Boss O'Nova II" but "The Cigarette".
Here is a picture of Boss O Nova, showing a novel feature at the time, dual hydraulic rams operating each flap.

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails Boss o' Nova?-bossonova-ii-71transom.jpg  
Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boss O Nova 1971 "Getingloppet" Sweden.
(A very good friend of mine, Ricky, found this pics somewere)
Attached Thumbnails Boss o' Nova?-boss-o-nova.jpg  

Quick Reply: Boss o' Nova?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.