36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
Richie,

Of your 7 titles, is there a favorite one?
Also, you have been privileged to run (and win) under the old format where you had to collect points from races all around the world and the revised version where continental champions met at a single venue. Which format did you prefer?

Phil.
Phil: They were all great, and I have many stories about each one, but right now we are having our Christmas party, I will write more adventures after Christmas. Happy holidays to all from 7XCHAMP
Old 12-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Phil,
Many Thanks for the colour picture of the Black (II). It is original and beautiful.
I don't know if will be put on the site of the Tornado Racing Team because depend of the owner Alex Balestrieri.I'm only collaborated for some pictures only.
About the "unfortunate" behavior of Balestrieri after the Deauville Trophy of 1973 you are right. Maybe he make that because thus stressed from two seasons where also being always protagonist in the contests he was forced to bads placings because of too many mechanical problems.
Surely that episode was the turn point of him decline.
About the Lady Nara,I think that in 1971 the Bonelli's team(Firebird Racing Team) was little competitive because they testing the new ignitions of Lucas for all the season without success ,apart the CTC. In 1972 with a new 36' and the engines ok the team won the European Title,but Bonelli didn't want to continue in offshore competitions in 1973.
At last about Richie Powers I think that I have respected always and will respect his point of view like everyone in the forum.
Richie is a legend full of experience and success.
We differs in some point of view but it's normal in a quiet discussion.
To complicate all is my bad english and for that I'm sorry with everyone find difficult to understand me.

Have a nice Christmas and Happy New Year to you Phil,and everyone in the OSO!

Marco
Old 12-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fellas Check out the Ocean City OPA Race archives from September of 06 You'll See Bounty Hunter an Original 36' from the seventies. Original Paint Original Billy Martin on the Go Sticks.

Jr
Old 12-27-2006, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone,

The same link that offered the 1972CTC has also the 1976 race.
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...CTC76.wmv.html

Phil.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
Hi everyone,

The same link that offered the 1972CTC has also the 1976 race.
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...CTC76.wmv.html

Phil.
Ooooh, what a cristmas present, looking at the #69 "I like it too" ex "Aeromarine 3" winning(with a better than other navigator onboard), thanks for showing the link Phil, I'we been looking for this video a long time.

Only thing missing now is some good videos from 72 and 73 in the US-circuit seeing the boat live as Aero 3 as a New Years present.

Reg Joern
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Can anyone give some history on this 36?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-13538.html
Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stormrider: I personally ran and/rigged all the Aero. boats, of which there were only four sold to Kiek. three 36`s and a forty. Original 36` was a red and white boat, Magoon raced when Kiek. started Aero. up on the hill in Fond Du Lac, That boat is believed to be Marc Berman BAM boat. the Newer 36` yellow and red light weight is in Norway with Joern from these threads, and was bought by Charles Gill in England, I brokered the deal, third boat was Aeromarine IX I built and raced for Bonomi, last was the 40` Red and Yellow for Diamond Don. I looked at the boat pictures in question, and the boat is absolutly gorgeous. What throws me off is the cockpit space, it`s to big for a race boat set-up, to get that much space you would have to move the bulkhead back, which would be major, also apears motors are short stagger which would give more space in cockpit. The trim tabs look original as they were the old fabed and welded tabs we used to make with the outboard cylinders, the rear steering was obviously added later, as that boat had the steering with the old Ride Guide cables and GM slave cylinder. The fuel caps are Kiek. which says the boat was rigged by someone close to Kiek. Bobby Moore rigged a stagger 36` for a Chuck Johnson which was similar, but I don`t think he would use those filler caps. Only other boat I can think of especially in Ohio area was done by Gil Lieber, and Mel Riggs both close to Kiek. and equip. and Gil always wanted the tricked out stuff. Last the orange/red engine room was reminiscent of the later Black Tornado boats by Stuteville and Moore. I know this does not answer, but makes for food for thought.7XCHAMP
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks 7x. Seems like a cool classic to own.
If it is a Riggs boat, it should be solid.
Although its not a true 3man setup, it would be more recreational freindly.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Martin
Hey Fellas Check out the Ocean City OPA Race archives from September of 06 You'll See Bounty Hunter an Original 36' from the seventies. Original Paint Original Billy Martin on the Go Sticks.

Jr
Where can I find this info/the pics??!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Maybe I should start that as my next business venture, Do you think people would pay like they do for Classic car restorations ????????????? 7XCHAMP

Yes I believe there´s a market for a restorer but as a business not really.
The Craftsmen that at least here in Scandinavia, US & Canada restore 6/8/12-mR sailboats and wooden raceboats are mostly one or two person enterprises.Not much to go after in my opinion.
Engine building and Rigging well that would be something else..and prolly more your forté. I´d stick to that If I were you plus testing of course.

Last edited by MadMike; 12-28-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.