36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Notices

36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Originally Posted by Interceptor
What engines and drives were those boats running ?
what H.P. ?
and what kind of speeds in those water conditions ?
Great video !
ed
Mercruiser 496 or Kiekhaefer 482´s. Drives I think were Merc No.3 but I stand to be corrected. I estimate speeds in those conditions to be around 65mph.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

HP was about 600 per motor. I would say that the late 60´s/very early 70´s class 1 boats had around 1000 HP, with most class 1 boats having around 1200HP from approx 1972 to 1980. I know that the Cruise Master Marathon motors that powered Renato Della Valle to victory at Cowes in around 1985 were punching out 700hp a piece. But by this time Lamborghini were just starting to make headway in the circuit.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this forum and I have read most messages for the past few days and I cannot believe my eyes.
This is just the kind of place I have been looking for. What an opportunity to be able to read first hand accounts from legends such as Charly Mc Carthy or Richie Powers who I remember winning twice my hometown event in Dry Martini.

Then, there are the brilliant photos, the great videos and the encyclopedic knowledge of Black tornado and Little Nige.

To all, I am grateful for your contributions. Please do carry on. I cannot have enough of it.

Phil.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this forum and I have read most messages for the past few days and I cannot believe my eyes.
This is just the kind of place I have been looking for. What an opportunity to be able to read first hand accounts from legends such as Charly Mc Carthy or Richie Powers who I remember winning twice my hometown event in Dry Martini.

Then, there are the brilliant photos, the great videos and the encyclopedic knowledge of Black tornado and Little Nige.

To all, I am grateful for your contributions. Please do carry on. I cannot have enough of it.

Phil.
Welcome aboard!
Your nickname remember to us a historical offshore event. The Deauville Trophy,usually the last race of the European season.
We hope that you can remember to us that race with some pics too!

BT
Old 12-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

Hi Phil, great to share stories and keep history alive!!!!!! As Marco says, if you have some shots of the Deauville races back on the hey days - we´d all love to see them!!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
Hi everyone,

Phil.
Phil: also welcome aboard, thank you for remembering, Deauville was one of my all time favorites, I have tons of stories from there, it`s where I proposed to my second wife, Jenny, beautiful english girl I met in Cowes. The main Hotel and resort there used to make the best Steak au poive in the world, table side. I remember sitting in the little pub next to the seawall during all the storms. also had a tradgedy there, on the road to Deauville with the Martini boat, car hit the truck head-on, just missed me in the lead car, three people dead, rainy slippery road. I also raced after the hurricane blew through, we took major waves over the boat going out to the race. Tommy Sopwith was there with miss Embassy Turbine, as well as full contingent of hungry regulars, we had to push a boat off our deck before the start, I think I won a couple times, I`m sure Nigel can say if we did. Anyway welcome from 7XCHAMP Richie
Old 12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered

You´re right Richie, you won the Deauville race in 73 and 74 and the Dauphin D´Or race in France in 72 and 73!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Phil: also welcome aboard, thank you for remembering, Deauville was one of my all time favorites, I have tons of stories from there, it`s where I proposed to my second wife, Jenny, beautiful english girl I met in Cowes. The main Hotel and resort there used to make the best Steak au poive in the world, table side. I remember sitting in the little pub next to the seawall during all the storms. also had a tradgedy there, on the road to Deauville with the Martini boat, car hit the truck head-on, just missed me in the lead car, three people dead, rainy slippery road. I also raced after the hurricane blew through, we took major waves over the boat going out to the race. Tommy Sopwith was there with miss Embassy Turbine, as well as full contingent of hungry regulars, we had to push a boat off our deck before the start, I think I won a couple times, I`m sure Nigel can say if we did. Anyway welcome from 7XCHAMP Richie

Thanks for the welcome Richie.
Sorry to hear about the terrible memory linked with the event.
Here is a picture from the 1972 race which was cancelled due to bad weather. The white building in the background is the pub you are refering to.
Glad to see that we both proposed to an english girl in this resort.
Next time, I will post more pictures from the local papers of the time.
Thanks
Phil.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-72deauvilleharbour.jpg  
Old 12-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Registered

And do I spy the beautiful Cary hull Cigarillo on the far left?? Great pic!! Can you post bigger?? And more??!!!! Great to see!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littlenige
And do I spy the beautiful Cary hull Cigarillo on the far left?? Great pic!! Can you post bigger?? And more??!!!! Great to see!!!

The original was too big to be posted and I may have reduced it too much so it could fit within the upload limits. I will send it to you directly.
And yes, you are right, the boat in the far left is Cigarillo.
Phil.

Quick Reply: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.