Notices

apache heritage

Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageOffshoreClassic
Richie,

I was watching the a 92 key west worlds race last night and it showed you throttling the 50' Apache Heritage what was that like? What speeds did she run? can you tell us a little about the experience!!
It is a long story re: Apache Heritage, I could write a mini book about the ADVENTURE and the crew. I`ll shoot for the highlights. The boat is a regular 47` cut down. Everyone thought it was a 50` because of the race number which I was given by Don Johnson after racing the 50` Revenge super cat.
I was interviewed by Omar Danial and Patrick Mercurio for the throttleman position along with Bobby Moore, Bobby Idoni, Steve Curtis etc.. When I met the driver Omar we had instant chemistry and we said let`s go racing, rest is history, three world titles later, all first place finishes except one, where we finished second to Tres and INXS water turned out calm first race in Key West in 1993 we had our boat set up wrong, next and final race was 6` to 8` seas with 20 mph winds. We averaged in the 101 mph range consistant every lap and won, Beat all the cats, and won overall.
when we were in progress of building the Heritage, I suggested to Mark McManus that we make it a canopy sit down boat. Mark was all for it, many others who heard about the thought laughed and said we would get beat up really bad, and this was from some famous guys in the sport. I told Mark and Omar that nothing hit harder than a 22,000 lb. four engine fifty foot cat at 135 mph. in six footers. The V-bottom would be incredible, which it was.
When we tested at Lake X on a monday before having to be in Key West for first race on Wed. we found that we could not see over the bow, we failed to cut the bow down enough, so we hung out of the canopy and finished our set-up work. Top speed was in the 115 mph range. We called Mark and told him the problem, he said bring it back to Miami and we`ll fix it???????? Monday night Curtis Chapman cut the front of the deck lose from the hull all the way back to the canopy, then commenced to cut about another 18" or so out of the nose, dropped it back down on the hull glassed it up. we left for Key West, for drivers meeting etc. boat showed up at 6:00 am Wed. morning at stock Island, we nervously put her in the water, as we dressed for the race, all the time wondering how she would sit.
When we took off to go to the Galleon it was approx. 5` to 6` following sea, we could finally see pretty good, the faster we went the better we could see, we didn`t even realize how fast until we looked at the speedo and was a solid 100 to 105.
Apache Heritage is by far the most incredible boat I have ever raced. Once we pulled the straps down and became part of the boat, it was history. Incidentally it was the first time Omar had ever raced, and first time we were together in an ocean race, and of all things the worlds in Key West.
The Apache Heritage TEAM was the best I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with. And I believe history was written. To the best of my knowledge we built the first successful canopied V-Bottom race boat, which set the benchmark for all others. Power was triple Merc. 1,000`s number six wet sumps. Check out an article that Poker run magazine did last year on the boat team etc. It was a great article. Thanks for remembering the Heritage 7XCHAMP
Old 04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great history , sit down is the way to go!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MR. 7xChamp, You are absolutely right when you said the most sucessful deep V"canopied" raceboat! As far as I know Tommy Adams- Signature had the first "hard top" stand up boat, I believe I had the first canopied race boat back in 1986. I had Jim Muir design the add on canopy on my 28' Pantera. It had Recaro race car seats,
mounted on shock absorber pedestals, 5 point harness, Lexan windshield etc.
When I showed up @ the Apache race here in Miami in the fall of 1986 APBA thought it was too innovative and did not let me race the boat. It was a C class boat @ the time. Willie Diaz "El Boss" was to be my throttle man.
Soon there after I think Popeyes was the first boat to get canopied.
You know the best part is that nobody ever gave me credit for the canopy, BUT, what the hell we used to have a lot of fun back then racing the ocean and the other boats, not chasing buoys 3 to 4 miles apart. Who would have thought you could race offshore in a river?
Ahhhh, those were the days, and I thank God for letting me be there and to still be around today to reminish such great memories!
OSO and HORBA have made a lot of newbies to the sport realize what it used to be like.
Later,
Your friend,
Pepe @ Pantera.

PS, I do NOT think a lot of todays racers would look forward to the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio race in a 28' boat.
Attached Thumbnails apache heritage-hardtop.jpg  

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 04-26-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That must of blew somebodies mind Pepe'. Thanks for setting the record straight!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

Yeah, I am a legend in my own mind!
Later,
Pepe @ Pantera.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
........ next and final race was 6` to 8` seas with 20 mph winds. We averaged in the 101 mph range consistant every lap and won, Beat all the cats, and won overall.
It looks like this makes Apache Heritage the original "Cat Killer." Sorry Reggie.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Registered

I would like to clarify something, I do not want to sound like I am putting down todays racers, as a matter of fact as strange as it may sound, coming from somebody that has raced in the 70's,80's 90's and the new millenium, I think that todays racing is so much more precise and dangerous!
I just do not like the idea of doing 8 mile laps, where you are constantly turning a stepped bottom boat.
Also, offsore racing was meant to be run in the Ocean and I mean open water not up and down a beach. It is such an exilirating feeling to run away from shore that I feel @ least some races should be Ocean racing not inshore racing.
Just my $ 0.02 from an old timer, who has done both.
Later,
Pepe @ Pantera.
PS, let's bring back the skill of navigating w/ a compass and cojones!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
I would like to clarify something, I do not want to sound like I am putting down todays racers, as a matter of fact as strange as it may sound, coming from somebody that has raced in the 70's,80's 90's and the new millenium, I think that todays racing is so much more precise and dangerous!
I just do not like the idea of doing 8 mile laps, where you are constantly turning a stepped bottom boat.
Also, offsore racing was meant to be run in the Ocean and I mean open water not up and down a beach. It is such an exilirating feeling to run away from shore that I feel @ least some races should be Ocean racing not inshore racing.
Just my $ 0.02 from an old timer, who has done both.
Later,
Pepe @ Pantera.
PS, let's bring back the skill of navigating w/ a compass and cojones!

Amen!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

pepe, there's a supposed miami - nassau race in the works.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=155824
Old 04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hola Pepe,

Well Said, Thank you
Couldn't agree with you more.
Thank you
Jim

Quick Reply: apache heritage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.