Notices

apache heritage

Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

7xchamp & JO

Thanks for taking the time to post! We all appreciate it.
Jr.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are all very welcome! These threads bring back some wonderful memories. OSO and HORBA has done a great job of bringing back the legends of this wonderful sport of ours.
Guys like 7xchamp, Brownie, Charlie Mc Carthy and Black Tornado, littlenige and a bunch of others have such great accounts of the history of Offshore powerboat racing. It is great!
Later,
Pepe @ Pantera.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
It is a long story re: Apache Heritage, I could write a mini book about the ADVENTURE and the crew. I`ll shoot for the highlights. The boat is a regular 47` cut down. Everyone thought it was a 50` because of the race number which I was given by Don Johnson after racing the 50` Revenge super cat.
I was interviewed by Omar Danial and Patrick Mercurio for the throttleman position along with Bobby Moore, Bobby Idoni, Steve Curtis etc.. When I met the driver Omar we had instant chemistry and we said let`s go racing, rest is history, three world titles later, all first place finishes except one, where we finished second to Tres and INXS water turned out calm first race in Key West in 1993 we had our boat set up wrong, next and final race was 6` to 8` seas with 20 mph winds. We averaged in the 101 mph range consistant every lap and won, Beat all the cats, and won overall.
when we were in progress of building the Heritage, I suggested to Mark McManus that we make it a canopy sit down boat. Mark was all for it, many others who heard about the thought laughed and said we would get beat up really bad, and this was from some famous guys in the sport. I told Mark and Omar that nothing hit harder than a 22,000 lb. four engine fifty foot cat at 135 mph. in six footers. The V-bottom would be incredible, which it was.
When we tested at Lake X on a monday before having to be in Key West for first race on Wed. we found that we could not see over the bow, we failed to cut the bow down enough, so we hung out of the canopy and finished our set-up work. Top speed was in the 115 mph range. We called Mark and told him the problem, he said bring it back to Miami and we`ll fix it???????? Monday night Curtis Chapman cut the front of the deck lose from the hull all the way back to the canopy, then commenced to cut about another 18" or so out of the nose, dropped it back down on the hull glassed it up. we left for Key West, for drivers meeting etc. boat showed up at 6:00 am Wed. morning at stock Island, we nervously put her in the water, as we dressed for the race, all the time wondering how she would sit.
When we took off to go to the Galleon it was approx. 5` to 6` following sea, we could finally see pretty good, the faster we went the better we could see, we didn`t even realize how fast until we looked at the speedo and was a solid 100 to 105.
Apache Heritage is by far the most incredible boat I have ever raced. Once we pulled the straps down and became part of the boat, it was history. Incidentally it was the first time Omar had ever raced, and first time we were together in an ocean race, and of all things the worlds in Key West.
The Apache Heritage TEAM was the best I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with. And I believe history was written. To the best of my knowledge we built the first successful canopied V-Bottom race boat, which set the benchmark for all others. Power was triple Merc. 1,000`s number six wet sumps. Check out an article that Poker run magazine did last year on the boat team etc. It was a great article. Thanks for remembering the Heritage 7XCHAMP
So where is the boat now ?
In good Hands ?

Cougarman
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Apache Heritage is currently owned by Mark McManus...
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
It is a long story re: Apache Heritage, I could write a mini book about the ADVENTURE and the crew. I`ll shoot for the highlights. The boat is a regular 47` cut down. Everyone thought it was a 50` because of the race number which I was given by Don Johnson after racing the 50` Revenge super cat.
I was interviewed by Omar Danial and Patrick Mercurio for the throttleman position along with Bobby Moore, Bobby Idoni, Steve Curtis etc.. When I met the driver Omar we had instant chemistry and we said let`s go racing, rest is history, three world titles later, all first place finishes except one, where we finished second to Tres and INXS water turned out calm first race in Key West in 1993 we had our boat set up wrong, next and final race was 6` to 8` seas with 20 mph winds. We averaged in the 101 mph range consistant every lap and won, Beat all the cats, and won overall.
when we were in progress of building the Heritage, I suggested to Mark McManus that we make it a canopy sit down boat. Mark was all for it, many others who heard about the thought laughed and said we would get beat up really bad, and this was from some famous guys in the sport. I told Mark and Omar that nothing hit harder than a 22,000 lb. four engine fifty foot cat at 135 mph. in six footers. The V-bottom would be incredible, which it was.
When we tested at Lake X on a monday before having to be in Key West for first race on Wed. we found that we could not see over the bow, we failed to cut the bow down enough, so we hung out of the canopy and finished our set-up work. Top speed was in the 115 mph range. We called Mark and told him the problem, he said bring it back to Miami and we`ll fix it???????? Monday night Curtis Chapman cut the front of the deck lose from the hull all the way back to the canopy, then commenced to cut about another 18" or so out of the nose, dropped it back down on the hull glassed it up. we left for Key West, for drivers meeting etc. boat showed up at 6:00 am Wed. morning at stock Island, we nervously put her in the water, as we dressed for the race, all the time wondering how she would sit.
When we took off to go to the Galleon it was approx. 5` to 6` following sea, we could finally see pretty good, the faster we went the better we could see, we didn`t even realize how fast until we looked at the speedo and was a solid 100 to 105.
Apache Heritage is by far the most incredible boat I have ever raced. Once we pulled the straps down and became part of the boat, it was history. Incidentally it was the first time Omar had ever raced, and first time we were together in an ocean race, and of all things the worlds in Key West.
The Apache Heritage TEAM was the best I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with. And I believe history was written. To the best of my knowledge we built the first successful canopied V-Bottom race boat, which set the benchmark for all others. Power was triple Merc. 1,000`s number six wet sumps. Check out an article that Poker run magazine did last year on the boat team etc. It was a great article. Thanks for remembering the Heritage 7XCHAMP
Great history Champ thank you! Will you be in the Miami-Bimini race this year?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WecHVHuA8Io&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHLeoTdfzBI
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

What a great story. Also - it's great to hear Pepe's views on racing - like they say, it's hard to know where you're going unless you understand where you've been.

The sport's history is one of the greatest treasures we have.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a stack of pictures going back to the 60's and have been having them scanned. Look what came back in a batch today!

Key West, but not sure of the year.
Attached Thumbnails apache heritage-heritage.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
I have a stack of pictures going back to the 60's and have been having them scanned. Look what came back in a batch today!

Key West, but not sure of the year.
I started in 1966 with Mercury factory offshore race team out of Lake X and Fondulac. Any pictures from then would be awesome. My first race boat was 21` Seacraft with pair of 110 mercs then 25` seacraft with triple 1250`s and 28` Memco with triple 1350 BP`s 1966 thru 1969 when Kiek disbanned the offshore team and sold all equip. to the independents, that`s when guys like Pruit, Odel, Riggs, Stuteville and myself went to work for them in Europe, mostly all Italians bought the equip. and personel to race for UIM. I went to Europe in 1992 with Bonomi and the rest is history, any and all pixs are cool, I would love to see from that era.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Capache Powerboats

Quick Reply: apache heritage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.