Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today. >

Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Notices

Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

Transoms are filled.

Marco you got any ideas.

There is the name CHARROS on the rear hatches which is an old clothing company from the 80s, but i don,t believe the hatches belong on the boat because the rear corners are radiused and dont fit the 90 degree corners of the deck.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ashame, To bad its so far away
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool find,about six months ago someone mentioned "lady nara" was coming to the U.S. and was for sale at $150,000.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport is and has always been in Primatist’s DNA. It’s a passion which has been passed down from one generation to the next of the Abbate family. Sports concepts find their maximum expression in various events which involve both the nautical world and the wider world of sport… From the Trofeo Guido Abbate to the Primatist Trophy passing through the Motomondiale, the Ferrari Challenge, the Off-Shore, the Inshore of Speed-boat Racing and the Rally.

It appears that the name ABBATE is famous in Italy w/ motorsports. Great find!
Attached Thumbnails Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.-bruno_pilota.jpg  
Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Check this thread. It may be one of the two boats mentioned here.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...145574&page=12
Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I am over in Italy with my girlfriend for the past 6 weeks.Anyways we are staying in Lugano Switzerland for the stay and today we took a scenic drive from Switzerland over the border to Lake Como Italy .

Well we come up over the hill in the middle of nowhere and there is an old 36 Cigarette sitting by the side of the road like some left it out for the trashman.

It is painted all white and is stripped of everything but the gelcoat underneath is red.

I took a bunch of pics that i will post just need to get them resized.
You are in paradise: I used to live in Torino when I raced with Carlo Bonomi, and Martini & Rossi racing. The town I lived in was called Borgaro, close to the airport, Ceasare Fiorio was our team mgr. and at the time was director of the Lancia Rally team when they came out with the Lancia Stratos cars. We had all the engineers from Lancia working with us, we had an incredible shop with Dyno cells etc. Bonomi thought the Italians could improve on the simple stupid Chevy motors, as they built some of the most exotic motors in the world, Guess what in the 1970`s chevy 482`s just could not do the 7,000 rprm the Italians thought. We blew every engine they built, They ground their own cams, we even did overhead cam heads etc. Bottom line is I continued with Kiekhaefer Aero equip. and won two consecutive UIM world championships, also Italian and European championships.
I used to take Bonomi`s Honda 500 and drive to Lugano/ Lake Como to visit my friend Renato Molinari, I used to stay at the Villa Del Este, which even then was Royal to say the least, with the swimming pool in the lake etc. Some of the best times in my life.
Are you going to stop in Viareggio, if so that is the Yacht building mecca of the world and a beautiful place to visit. Try my favorite restaurant, Bounomicos, incredible Spaghetti ala vongole, and Sole ala grillia.
Wish I was there, I could show you around. Viareggio is also steeped in racing history, Viarreggio to Bastia and back, To the Italians that was like their Indy 500, they all wanted to win it.
Enjoy yourselves, and keep the posts comming, are you going to Naples?????? 7XCHAMP
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Are you sure its a Cig. Didn't the 36 have a V shaped windshield and an extra wide side step or walk area around cockpit?
Jim
I BELIEVE ALL 33/36'S HAD A FLAT WINDSHIELD.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

dannnng!! never seen a cig laying on it's side up in a italian mountain range before!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That boat found in North Italy by tommymonza is the first 36' ever builded by the new founded Cigarette of Don Aronow in 1970.
It was builded togheter the Doc Magoon's Aeromarine I,the second 36' that came out the Cigarette.
The owner was the second time World Champ Vincenzo Balestrieri in 1970,but didn't raced before the 1971,probably the Dauphin D'Or near Nizza in August that won,after that he had problems with him lightened and shortened wood decked Black Tornado 31'in the previuos race at Viareggio.
That new first Black Tornado 36' back in Usa the same year and became the boat used by Balestrieri in the american races during the 1972 and 1973 seasons,meanwhile he drove a second 36' Black Tornado for the European races for the same two years,togheter the old 32' and a 34'.
In 1974 the fleet of the race boats of Balestrieri was reduced to only one 36',because the roman decided to abandon the World Championship competitions. That 36' was the first one of 1970.
In 1975 after the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio he decided to retire from the competitions and sold the boat to the friend-rival Giulio De Angelis.
That 36' became the race boat preferred of the roman builder for four years from 1975 to 1978,winning two of the three editions of the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio that De Angelis scored in him offshore career; the 1976 against the new 35' American Eagle of Gentry and Powers and beating another best racer 35' in 1977,the Limit Up of the British Michael Doxford in very rough seas,demostrating the superiority of the 36' in hard seas.
In 1979-1980 the boat was drove by the Napolitan surger Tommaso De Simone winning the Italian Title in 1980,and in 1981 was sold to the builder Renato Della Valle of Milan.
Again in rough seas that 36' bring the rookie Della Valle to a
incredible victory in the him first race,the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio of that year.
After that the boat was abandoned for several years before came back in 1986-87 in some races in Italy,after over fifteen years from the building.
That 36' is the record holder of victory in the offshore history togheter another famous 36': the third Dry Martini builded in 1973 for another two time World Champ,Carlo Bonomi well coadiuvated by Richie Powers.

testing the new boat of the newcome Cigarette. 1970 the 36' prototype with aboard the Aronow's mechanic Knocky House and the engines wizard Carl Kiekhaefer. Note the double flag of USA and Italy and the name The Cigarette,but ready to became Black Tornado.

Usa race in 1972-73 season.

CTC 1978: with Cosentino-Wilson in Alitalia Team version.

The boat in last August in the same site where tommymonza have discovered it.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW , Nice story

Mike

Quick Reply: Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.