Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today. >

Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Notices

Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is an old Black Tornado.

LS
Attached Thumbnails Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.-36cig2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM
MF
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to speak with Abbate shipyards for that boat, but so far nothing..
Was thinking of speaking at the Genova Show but due to job overload i haven't been able to go this year (going every year since i was 10 ).....
Will contact them Asap, it's such a waste to let her go !
Will try to do something if i can....
Old 10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Wow, good find & history!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

I should have known that Black Tornado had already found the boat.Good luck with it Marco hope you do well with it.I was down by you a couple of weeks ago but i had no way to contact you.May be later in the week?

Ciao from Italy 7xchamp.

Yes it is paradise here.I was waiting to reply because i was going to post some pics but those will have to wait till tomorrow..My girlfriend and i went for another nice drive to Como lastnite to buy some pepper flavored Gelato that is sooo good.It is was yet another beautiful drive.

We had a stunning drive through the Swiss Alps today where we drove to Lake Luzern for lunch and than back through the tunnel to Lugano.The Alps and the lake was breathtaking.

We rode through Viareggio a couple of weeks ago on our way to Firenze.The town was pretty much shutdown for the season and we we had a schedule that we had to catch in Firenze so it was a quick tour.

Heading to Paris for a few days to visit a friend of ours on Tuesday.We will not make it to Naples but i am definitely coming back, either for skiing in the Dolamites or in summer for the lakes.

How long did you live here for and what did you get to see besides the bilge of a boat?

Gotta go

Tommymonza

P.S. Thanks for all the great stories Richie.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=tommymonza;2312591]I should have known that Black Tornado had already found the boat.Good luck with it Marco hope you do well with it.I was down by you a couple of weeks ago but i had no way to contact you.May be later in the week?

Sorry but I was not informed in which days you would have been to Viareggio.
If tasks to return you can call to me to this number:
+39 347 9346083
you will be able to taste the specialties that Richie still remembers therefore well.

Marco
Old 10-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Here is an old Black Tornado.

LS
Right lucky strike,
That 36' was the second Black Tornado that Balestrieri drove in Europe in 1972-73.
Then the boat come back in Florida made unusable until 1977, when Joe Ippolito drove it in the two first races of APBA Championship that year,renamed it Baccarat.
Note the italian flag still on the side.

I would like to see other pics in this Ippolito version.

Marco
Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I should have known that Black Tornado had already found the boat.Good luck with it Marco hope you do well with it.I was down by you a couple of weeks ago but i had no way to contact you.May be later in the week?

Ciao from Italy 7xchamp.

Yes it is paradise here.I was waiting to reply because i was going to post some pics but those will have to wait till tomorrow..My girlfriend and i went for another nice drive to Como lastnite to buy some pepper flavored Gelato that is sooo good.It is was yet another beautiful drive.

We had a stunning drive through the Swiss Alps today where we drove to Lake Luzern for lunch and than back through the tunnel to Lugano.The Alps and the lake was breathtaking.

We rode through Viareggio a couple of weeks ago on our way to Firenze.The town was pretty much shutdown for the season and we we had a schedule that we had to catch in Firenze so it was a quick tour.

Heading to Paris for a few days to visit a friend of ours on Tuesday.We will not make it to Naples but i am definitely coming back, either for skiing in the Dolamites or in summer for the lakes.

How long did you live here for and what did you get to see besides the bilge of a boat?

Gotta go

Tommymonza

P.S. Thanks for all the great stories Richie.
Tommymonza: I lived in Italy for approx. three years during the racing season, then in Miami in Off season. Our racing started for the UIM World Championships in Jan. in South America with three races. Mar Del Plata, Argentina. Punta Del Este, Uruguay. And finally Santos to Rio De Jenaro. Incidentally under UIM rule all races had to be a minimum of 180 Nautical Miles in length, and generally were approx. 200 statute miles. From South America we went to Europe where we raced approx. two races in France, Italy, England, Spain, Sweden. Yugoslavia, Cape town, S. Africa, Australia and America. Most countries had additional races for Italian, South American, and European championship points similar to running for a USA championship, so our seasons were packed with plenty of racing, sometimes as many as 15 to 18 races in a season. Most hectic week was always Viareggio on Sat. Atlantic City on Wed. and France on Sat. When I raced with Martini and Rossi we had a total of four boats stationed around the world, we had close to 30 engines with drives all over the world in various stages of rebuild, which we did after every race. Every time we raced a boat the engines, drives etc. were pulled and and fresh installed. I was the team mgr./throttleman etc. As professional`s we earned our pay, which was very good. To answer your question, yes I did see much of the world, and was able to enjoy the travels. I managed to fly the Concorde four times, Always stayed in the best Hotels, and flew in a lot of Lear jets. I attended the Formula One race in Imola, and was a guest of Enzo Ferrari, I was in the Ferrari pits during the race, and actually talked with Enzo about offshore racing. Did the same thing with Jackie Ickyx and Collin Chapman at the Formula one race in Argentina, Flew from America to Argentina with Mario Andretti, and Mark Donuhue who were racing in Formula One at the time. Collin Chapman was trying to figure out how to put four Cosworth engines in the race boat. I have met many famous people and traveled in the life style of the rich and famous. It was great, in Europe we were stars and heros, kids used to chase us for autographs, pictures etc. the Europeans had a true love and respect for offshore racing, and there heritage of the Sea. I think the Americans took it for granted, and still do. We really have no history of Offshore, sorry to say. Enjoy your travels, imagine having the responsibilities of traveling and racing in Europe and all the logistics, it will give you a taste of what we were all about.
Incidentally, I am the general Mgr. of Motion/Monza. I worked with Eloy for 2.5 yrs manufacturing and selling Monza`s and now back again. 7XCHAMP Richie
Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool!!!!!!!

This is the hull( not the exact one) that Midnight Express INC. Used for their 37 I believe.

I like that flat deck. Very very cool.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Registered

Great thread... Thank you guys for sharing your history.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible stuff

Quick Reply: Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.