Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
My Moppie,staying alive somewhere in USA >

My Moppie,staying alive somewhere in USA

Notices

My Moppie,staying alive somewhere in USA

Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

However in the 1961 Dick Bertram built the Glass Moppie, the first Bertram 31' of the first series, that that made direct reference to the hull of the succesful sports fisherman of the production Bertram.
Speaking of My Mopppie I reported me to the second series of 31' of Bertram.
That hulls exclusively from competition planned by the skilled pencil of Russ Specht.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is definately a life raft..I raced in that boat with Dick when I worked at Holman Moody 68-70..It was 77 back then, called My Moppie, named after his wife Pauline..I built the engines also..I will never forget the first time we ran..I had the boat in the water ready to go when Dick showed up..with a thermos ..full of scotch and milk..we started the race, and he went down next to the forward engine on the padded area, engine on the right to take a nap, and told me to hold the r's at 5000..the Merc boats were just pulling away so I slowly crept up to 5500 to stay up, and he came out and said stay at 5000..just didn't sit right with me, but he was the boss..the distributor filled up with water and we broke after an hour, just like every race. We never broke a motor..It was always distributor problems..The crank blower pulley on the rear engine(faced aft) was so low in the bilge that any water would get picked up in the dist..driven off the camshaft..a "high tech" Mallory flat cap..We tried every thing H&M would allow us to do to no avail..If that is really #77, it should have traces of a governor on the throttles,,a weighted flap mounted on the transom, designed by Jim Manders, that really worked great..

Butch
Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
Any of you guys recognize this hull ? Looks like a big Magnum ? Took this picture in Brighton England back in 1986 .
There were other offshore type boats in the marina at the time , but this was just huge compared to the others .

Spectra - we're a bit off topic on this thread - I think the hull you talk of is a Tremlett 42. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails My Moppie,staying alive somewhere in USA-tremlett-42.bmp