Cigarette 35 Raceboats >

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Notices

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool old Gil ad

Last edited by toydoc; 05-24-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hasn´t anyone picked this one up yet?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...tte&slim=quick

Nobody with a Shelby Cobra and a Ford GT40 who needs to complete the collection with a classic boat? and oneoff not to forget!

Last edited by steeb; 07-11-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steeb
Hasn´t anyone picked this one up yet?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...tte&slim=quick

Nobody with a Shelby Cobra and a Ford GT40 who needs to complete the collection with a classic boat? and oneoff not to forget!
$140 grand opens alot of doors in today's boat market.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Hi all, first post here.

This thread is fascinating! I can add a bit concerning Peter Dean.

Peter did have a 35 Cigarette "Slingshot". He had built a 40ft Cigarette in 1974, which was just about invincible that year and the next. Poor Arnold Glass, who had imported the ex American Eagle (the candy striped 36 version) could barely finish a race.

In 1975, Dean built a 35 version, as he had plans to take a boat to Europe but had found the 40ft would be too expensive to haul around ( or so I recall). He ran both ( depending on weather conditions) for a year or so then had a spell out of racing. The 40 was converted to a pleasure boat.

He later ran the 35 Cigarette in the 1978 Pacific 1000 marathon but had a spat with the organisers after one leg and went home. it ran the next year under a one off lease deal but never raced after that. I have an idea it too was converted into a pleasure boat.

He then built a 39 boat ( which I think was a shortened version of the 40) which he took to the Worlds in 1977 at Key West. That boat later broke off the bow and sank in a race in Australia the next year.

In 1980, Dean built a 44 boat, which was a stretched 35. That boat swept all before it in the races that season and it ran in the worlds that year in Australia, where calm conditions ruined any chance ythe boat had. Dean then took it to the States a year or so later when he moved there.

As an aside, the ex American Eagle 36 went through a number of hands and was still racing in the late 1980s as the bright pink Stefan Shampoo. I last saw it parked in a corner of a boat factory looking very sad some years ago and I doubt it is still with us.

The odd looking plum coloured 36 Gentry brought to Australia in 1978 was bought by John Haines. It was destroyed flollowing an accident in that year's Pacific 1000 but its memory lives on in quite afew hulls out here!

And finally, I was there in 1977 when the 35 American Eagle turned up in Brisbane and sat on its trailer. I never knew why until now!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Pete60, that has cleared up a bit about the Aussie side of things...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard pete60!
you have said that Dean built him 35.' Can you confirm then that 35' was not built to the Cigarette in Miami but in Australia under license?
Do you know the name of the yard? Of ownership of same Peter Dean?
Speaking of the American Eagle 36' of Glass you say that to the end of the years '80 still competed;have you photos? Do you know the exact name and the driver?
Speaking of "the odd looking plum coloured 36 Gentry" in reality you made reference to 35' that it is posted in the previous posts #18 and #41?
Sorry for the lot of questions but I think that you know a lot of things about that boats.
Thanks
Marco

Last edited by Black Tornado; 07-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Pete, that was fantastic!. I wonder if you ever go by that factory that the stefan's cig was sitting in? I wonder if they would be able to say where it is?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pete60
Hi all, first post here.
As an aside, the ex American Eagle 36 went through a number of hands and was still racing in the late 1980s as the bright pink Stefan Shampoo. I last saw it parked in a corner of a boat factory looking very sad some years ago and I doubt it is still with us.
Was the pink boat at Bill Barry-Cotter's shop?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Kubcat, yes, I last saw the Stefan Shampoo rig at Riviera on the Gold Coast. It was used to pop out a Riviera 36 that Stefan Ackerie ran for a while before it burned to the water in New Zealand and also a 36 for Bill Barry Cotter ( his first offshore boat), That boat ended up in NZ.

Balck Tornado, the driver of Stefan Shampoo was Stefan Ackerie. He competed in a series of boats and only stopped racing a few years ago.

The plum American Eagle Gentry brought to Australia in 1978 was not the 35 Cigarette ( I think that was the boat that came out in 1979) but the custom boat referred to in an earlier post.

Dean's 35 Cigarette always competed with the Cigarette logo on the side but I don't know whether it was built in Australia under licence or in the States. Dean's later boats were all built here. The last 44 "Dean Special" was a beautiful boat.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pete60
Kubcat, yes, I last saw the Stefan Shampoo rig at Riviera on the Gold Coast. It was used to pop out a Riviera 36 that Stefan Ackerie ran for a while before it burned to the water in New Zealand and also a 36 for Bill Barry Cotter ( his first offshore boat), That boat ended up in NZ.

Balck Tornado, the driver of Stefan Shampoo was Stefan Ackerie. He competed in a series of boats and only stopped racing a few years ago.

The plum American Eagle Gentry brought to Australia in 1978 was not the 35 Cigarette ( I think that was the boat that came out in 1979) but the custom boat referred to in an earlier post.

Dean's 35 Cigarette always competed with the Cigarette logo on the side but I don't know whether it was built in Australia under licence or in the States. Dean's later boats were all built here. The last 44 "Dean Special" was a beautiful boat.
Late 80's or early 90's I had just entered Sydney Harbour in my 20 foot Bertram when I saw a whole stack of Offshore boats heading towards me (and then to Newcastle). I was side by side with the pink boat being bashed around watching Stefan glide through the water as if the seas had parted for him.

That is the day I decided I needed an offshore boat and it took 10 years to get one of Tony Low's old boats.

Quick Reply: Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.