Notices

Offshore reunion.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965 thunderbird
WOW! What an awesome idea! I am bringing my video camera and regular camera. Will there be a place to bring or park our boats? If there is I will bring the thunderbird along! I might even have it shipshape enough to let Mel and O'dell and whoever else wants to take her for a spin. Who else wants to take their boats from the 60's?

At any rate we should pick out a date, I asume it will be at Mel's marina or close to it. May I suggest the weekend before or the weekend after the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh, That would be last part of july or first part of august, Just a thought.

Any way lets do it! I will help anyway I can, just let me know!

I would love to meet these guys, and the thought of being able to meet them all at the same time is just unbelievable!

I wonder if speed channel or discovery channel would like to do a documentery or something, this will be a rare opportunity to document some very important offshore racing history. It would also help promote offshore racing. Maybe I'm going overboard but what do you guy's think?

Keep up the enthusiasm.....it is great !
Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I was talking to Mel, he mentioned that Odell visited him a couple of months ago, and that it was the first time they had met in about 30 frickin' years! That shouln't be allowed to happen, after all the time and adventures that they shared in a cockpit. There is a whole fraternity of great guys and treasured friends that you don't get to read about in 'Searace' or whatever. The entire Mercury team, Bobby Moore, Gene Lanham, Jim Mander, Harry Schoell, Sam Sarra, all the California guys, Larry Smith, Peter Rothschild, the Ohio guys, Jim Armington, et al, Art Koopmans, etc. Let's face it guys, while I was writing this, most of the faces that flashed across my mind won't be at the party. Anyone who wants to help, and has ideas, sign on!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered

Brownie,
What an awesome idea! Probably on of my few regrets in life is not having raced in the 60's. What an awesome era.
If it is OK, I would like to be there @ the reunion to meet some of my childhood idols!
Being from the early 70's era, I can relate to the 60's.
Good luck w/ it,
Pepe @ Pantera.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
While I was talking to Mel, he mentioned that Odell visited him a couple of months ago, and that it was the first time they had met in about 30 frickin' years! That shouln't be allowed to happen, after all the time and adventures that they shared in a cockpit. There is a whole fraternity of great guys and treasured friends that you don't get to read about in 'Searace' or whatever. The entire Mercury team, Bobby Moore, Gene Lanham, Jim Mander, Harry Schoell, Sam Sarra, all the California guys, Larry Smith, Peter Rothschild, the Ohio guys, Jim Armington, et al, Art Koopmans, etc. Let's face it guys, while I was writing this, most of the faces that flashed across my mind won't be at the party. Anyone who wants to help, and has ideas, sign on!
Like you say the faces keep flashing up. Dick Genth, Stan Adrian, Barry Cohen, Eddie Lecaroux, Billy Martin, Rodger Munn, Roy Ridgell, Carl Moesley, Juan Fernandez. One of my favorites Willy Meyers. I saw that there were several inquiries about video. I always wanted to do a video roundtable with a really good monitor, someone who could ask great questions, and generate good response, of course a few cocktails would get the flow going as well. I like the guy who interviews the movie stars, the guy with the beard, really dry guy but great at what he does. Charlie may be the guy for that job. It sure would be nice while some of us are still around to have our stories and legacys recorded. I know my daughter would appreciate something like that, as she like many other young people really has no idea what we went through, 582 mile races with one stop for fuel etc. 220 mile long races in the open oceans of the world, in boats where you were half out and no windshields, as it slowed the boats down, in our minds. LETS DO THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL. I guess as racers we are also the best procrastinators, Maybe some of the young guys who want to remember should take on the project. 7XCHAMP
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered

This might be a good way to get HORBA up and running. We could let them (us) run the thing, and maybe generate a little revenue for their good works. We could charge a nominal fee for the later guys. If I were a fan of today's racing, and had a chance to have dinner with Odell, Mel, Sammy, Willie, Richie and all those guys, and listen to their stories, I would pay a hefty sum. That would be like dining with Dimaggio, Mantle and Ruth for me. Come on guys, let's do it.......
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Registered

i hope you would be able to get Mercury Racing to sponser, OR Charlies company or even the AMF Guys. your gang would need to string this along for about 3 or 4 eves to really get every neat o racer into the mix and be heard. I am sure the Aronow project that michael and charlie are working on would be into this as well as they have great artifacts and are true gentlemen to share their wounderful stories.

Charlie i may have a new red little boat you can put on a stand and letter and number up if you desire...

Christian Del Collo
Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be a good way to get HORBA up and running. We could let them (us) run the thing, and maybe generate a little revenue for their good works. We could charge a nominal fee for the later guys. If I were a fan of today's racing, and had a chance to have dinner with Odell, Mel, Sammy, Willie, Richie and all those guys, and listen to their stories, I would pay a hefty sum. That would be like dining with Dimaggio, Mantle and Ruth for me. Come on guys, let's do it.......

That is a great idea,

How about having it during one of the upcoming local races down here?? Miami?? Fort lauderdale?? All the new guys will be in town, and Iam sure we would all be willing to pay a small fee to meet y'all. Maybe even do a Horba event in conjuction with the race???
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOASTY
i hope you would be able to get Mercury Racing to sponser, OR Charlies company or even the AMF Guys. your gang would need to string this along for about 3 or 4 eves to really get every neat o racer into the mix and be heard. I am sure the Aronow project that michael and charlie are working on would be into this as well as they have great artifacts and are true gentlemen to share their wounderful stories.

Charlie i may have a new red little boat you can put on a stand and letter and number up if you desire...

Christian Del Collo
I think the AMF guys would be all over it if it were done at a race site.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered

I have a scrapbook that looks like the dead sea scrolls. Jim Wynne's widow has offered to loan me his books, and I know that Sam James will bring his. We could set up a scanner on site, and scan and print pix out of everyones scrapbook. l will contact the English, and ask Richie to do the Italians.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a scrapbook that looks like the dead sea scrolls. Jim Wynne's widow has offered to loan me his books, and I know that Sam James will bring his. We could set up a scanner on site, and scan and print pix out of everyones scrapbook. l will contact the English, and ask Richie to do the Italians.
Darren has a lot of Smitty's memorabilia...and don't forget Idoni out in Steamboat.

If you need a TV moderator...I might know a guy.

T2x

Quick Reply: Offshore reunion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.