Notices

Offshore reunion.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

HORBA should be able to announce by this time next week, a place and date for the reunion.

We are working on something that will really be outstandng and tie together the past and the future in a great way.

We would also like to continue the concept of these reunions into the future....first the 60's and then the 70's and the 80's and 90's.....the racers can all get together and be seen again by their fans.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Charlie, you go, boy!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Brownie.........As usual, I am just following your lead....you and Mel of course.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you all stay pretty well in touch with each other but if you need to contact Roger Munn I see him at least once a week I could pass anything you need on to him. He stays in touch with Billy Martin pretty regularly so that would be two of the names mentioned

John
Old 01-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered

Any hint of where the reunion will be? I imagine it will be in florida somewhere. Just trying to figure out if I will be able to bring my boat, it's a long way from colorado to florida. I sure would like Mell Riggs, Odell lewis,Billy Martens and maybe Jim Wynnes wife to see it again. I am sure there would be more people that would like to see it also.
Buy the way all offshore racers of today and yesterday deserve to be recognized and respected for there efforts, it seems to be a tuff sport to be competitive in. Any efforts to promote these races should be fully supported by all of us. These boats are the best of the best and to organize a race and promote it is quite an undertaking, I don't think I could do it, so my hat is off to all racing organizations. The racing boats today are very expensive and the people racing them have to be very dedicated. The testosterone runs pretty high at these races and I can understand some tunnel vision and not thinking about VIP's, but I think that as people and promoters start to think about things like that it will get better. Until then I would be willing and honored to buy their ticket and what ever they would like to eat or drink!

Last edited by 1965 thunderbird; 01-13-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Perfect: I think we could all take that as a volunteer. And as far as I`m concerned yes!!!!
Yes I am volunteering...unless the group has some money I don't know about

T2x
Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered

What would be cool would be a vintage boating format like the Goodwood in England for the vintage cars. They have cars on display, cars that race, and celebrate the racers that raced the cars. The cars race by era.

The same format for boats would be terriffic. They could have offshore raceboats run from the 60's, then the 70's then the 80's. In the Goodwood, many of the wealty racecar owners often reunite the original drivers with thier cars. That would be cool to do with the boats too.

Vintage car racing is huge right now, hopefully vintage boat racing has enough fan support to take off too.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Propster
What would be cool would be a vintage boating format like the Goodwood in England for the vintage cars. They have cars on display, cars that race, and celebrate the racers that raced the cars. The cars race by era.

The same format for boats would be terriffic. They could have offshore raceboats run from the 60's, then the 70's then the 80's. In the Goodwood, many of the wealty racecar owners often reunite the original drivers with thier cars. That would be cool to do with the boats too.

Vintage car racing is huge right now, hopefully vintage boat racing has enough fan support to take off too.
The best reunion in Goodwood was two years ago with two my Idols; Emerson Fittipaldi that drove his Lotus 72.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
While I was talking to Mel, he mentioned that Odell visited him a couple of months ago, and that it was the first time they had met in about 30 frickin' years! That shouln't be allowed to happen, after all the time and adventures that they shared in a cockpit. There is a whole fraternity of great guys and treasured friends that you don't get to read about in 'Searace' or whatever. The entire Mercury team, Bobby Moore, Gene Lanham, Jim Mander, Harry Schoell, Sam Sarra, all the California guys, Larry Smith, Peter Rothschild, the Ohio guys, Jim Armington, et al, Art Koopmans, etc. Let's face it guys, while I was writing this, most of the faces that flashed across my mind won't be at the party. Anyone who wants to help, and has ideas, sign on!
My Dad talked to Jim Armingtons cousin and informed him. He said he would forward his cousin the info if I send it to him.
Jr.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propster

That would be awesome and I think it's the hope of HORBA too........unfortunately I don't think there is the following.

The Amelia Island Concours was supposed to be a possibility at one point.

Quick Reply: Offshore reunion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.