Don Aronow Memorial Race >

Don Aronow Memorial Race

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love reading this old stuff. Puts the AWE back into the sport.

A 500 mile road trip in one day is a pretty big feat now. I can't imagine it in a boat only averaging 57mph.

Good stuff guys.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Richie 7X and others......we are restricted to a straight shot out and back due to both insurance and Coast Guard permit factors.

I would love to put on another Bahamas 500, but first we have to walk and prove we can do it safely and then we can move it up a notch and run.

Speaking of old days....here are a couple of collages that Roger Munn sent in.....many great memories here.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Race-boatpic2-small-.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Race-boatpic1-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-01-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I love reading this old stuff. Puts the AWE back into the sport.

A 500 mile road trip in one day is a pretty big feat now. I can't imagine it in a boat only averaging 57mph.

Good stuff guys.
The more amazing thing is that you did not have ANY safety boats for the majority of the race..... and some of the boats were under 20 feet in length......

Richie Powers, who I just found out is a year older than me and therefore entitled to "senior" status, could still give most of today's top throttlemen more than they can handle and then some........especially in a true endurance event. There's a world of difference between wondering how good you look coming through Mallory Square versus racing completely out of sight of land (and other competitors) for hours (sometimes days) at a time.......... The true offshore circuit had its share of showoffs ....but in those days you had to earn it the hard way and you didn't get to showoff during the race.

Phil: Hi Def it is....... Let's talk....and if you stop calling me "Triple X", I won't tell your real age

T2x
Old 04-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing is how do you cram 500 miles worth of fuel into a power boat these days. Fuel comsumption has to be at an all time high for engines making 1000hP each.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Triple X it is !

Originally Posted by T2x
The more amazing thing is that you did not have ANY safety boats for the majority of the race..... and some of the boats were under 20 feet in length......

Richie Powers, who I just found out is a year older than me and therefore entitled to "senior" status, could still give most of today's top throttlemen more than they can handle and then some........especially in a true endurance event. There's a world of difference between wondering how good you look coming through Mallory Square versus racing completely out of sight of land (and other competitors) for hours (sometimes days) at a time.......... The true offshore circuit had its share of showoffs ....but in those days you had to earn it the hard way and you didn't get to showoff during the race.

Phil: Hi Def it is....... Let's talk....and if you stop calling me "Triple X", I won't tell your real age

T2x
um..... ya having a SENIOR moment Richie - (XXX) - did you forget the word "Don't" ! haha ! "if you DON'T stop calling me Triple X - haha - what fun - reminds me of the old days - couldn't be better -

Miss those days - it was fun !

PHIL
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

So it is settled....Phil M and Rich ....go out and find some Hi Def stuff to rent for the race and let's do it up old school style.

The guy from Texas....you are more than welcome sir, you may just be the new Richie Powers for the next generation of 21st Century ocean racers.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
So it is settled....Phil M and Rich ....go out and find some Hi Def stuff to rent for the race and let's do it up old school style.

The guy from Texas....you are more than welcome sir, you may just be the new Richie Powers for the next generation of 21st Century ocean racers.
Would be fun Charlie - but filming is just the beginning - then editing (with the sound off please - have had enough while flying) - and where does it go - does it support itself - wish it did - so much in Offshore is what we all want, however few can afford !
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
GPS takes some of the challenge out of it.
GPS not allowed for this event, dead reckoning or compass only..
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

T2x
Hello T2x,
I agree with you.
Besides Richie 7X being a top Throttleman ,, he was one of the best at rigging and setting up a race boat.
It's like a lot of the race car drivers of today ,(Nascar/Champ cars/whatever) they just get in them and drive, and have no idea how to make them work, or what to do to set up a car or even build one from the ground up.
Richie knew his boats inside and out and how to make them win.
Thank you
Jim
Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Hello T2x,
I agree with you.
Besides Richie 7X being a top Throttleman ,, he was one of the best at rigging and setting up a race boat.
It's like a lot of the race car drivers of today ,(Nascar/Champ cars/whatever) they just get in them and drive, and have no idea how to make them work, or what to do to set up a car or even build one from the ground up.
Richie knew his boats inside and out and how to make them win.
Thank you
Jim
Thanks Jim for the accolades: True it has always been about set-ups and rigging techniques. I am proud to say that I have won in every class boat I have rigged or raced, Lot of guys today only know twin engine boats, V`s and cats. When I started it was 21` v- bottoms with single Merc. outboard, then twins 21` then triple 25` to 30` then quads 32` to 34`. I raced one of each while with the Merc. Factory team 1967 to 1970 from there went into OPC team for Merc. Molinari tunnel boats, Dave Beyer and myself built all the powerheads. Then came the 36` Cig`s Magoon Bonomi etc. I have huge stories about all the things Kiekhaefer and I designed and implemented into the sport of offshore. From that era, came the cats, cougars etc. twin engine, then the triple 46` V-bottom super boats, Then the 50` four engine cats, and speeds into the 170mph range. ( ex arneson Gentry 48` Cougar ) Those boats were major engineering and logistics, try running a 50` with four 1200`s, crash boxes etc. By the way there were no plans or blueprints to tell how to rig, race or prepare, it was guys like me, Bobby Moore, Brownie, etc. who built and fabricated those monsters. then came the high hp skaters etc. ( team gentry 40` skater world record holder open class 158 mph. ) Bottom line is that I was the guy with the various teams that set these boats up, raced them, set world records in them, won races, and championships. I don`t think there are many guys around today who have experienced what that all entails. We didn`t just buy a ready made boat and go racing, we bought bare hulls,some new, some unproven, and some dogs that we had to make work and make ( will ) them to win and be succesful. We used to take a lot on for our owners and sponsors, we were paid to produce at any cost, and produce we did. Tell you the truth,I would love to see one of the old Seacraft 21`s with a pair of 110 hp mercs on her to run the Bimini race, now that would be old school, everyone forgets those boats, and the guys who raced them. We should invite Carl Moesley and his wife Jean to the event. Afterall he was the founder of Seacraft, and a major contributor and racer in the old days. we should not forget the smaller classes who made this sport and supported it, the old P-class, and modified boats. If it had not been for those guys there may not have been enough open class boats to put a show on. DON`T FORGET THE OTHER CLASS`S. they were a big part. Sandy Krell in the 28` Magnum Tweety Pie, invite him and his dad Sandy, great people, and major contributors to the sport back in the 70`s and of course the list goes on. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Don Aronow Memorial Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.