Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/200869-miami-vice-great-mc-carthy-renegade-cig.html)

priceb 01-01-2009 03:49 PM

Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Just curious if anyone has info on the cig flat deck in the episode of the great mc carthy.

The boat was called Renegade # 44.

Just wondering what type of power and top speeds it would have had back in those days and if it still exists, be cool to see some current pics of it.

Corsa Quest 01-01-2009 05:18 PM

Can't help you with that one....but the red boat, Red Ryder, a very rare 38' MSV is in Norwalk, CT.

fastdonzi 01-01-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Corsa Quest (Post 2768849)
Can't help you with that one....but the red boat, Red Ryder, a very rare 38' MSV is in Norwalk, CT.

At the begining of all the miami vice episodes they show a bunch of boats that look like they are racing. You see Red Ryder at the back of the pack. The original owner brought it to our shop wondering why it was so slow. who ever rigged it origially must have measured the X dim from the top down, The friggin trim rams rode through the water. a real f*ck up.

tom rockstroh 01-01-2009 08:08 PM

I heard the same thing abour RR about poor rig! The 38 Renegade I saw in 85' was the same in the MVice show, 540 Hawks? 3s , Kevlar,Nice looking rig.Don't know where it is now , Probably a repaint by now!

priceb 01-05-2009 05:57 PM

I wonder what the top speed would have been

Stormrider 01-06-2009 08:46 AM

I believe Renegade was owned by Jerry Asaile(sp?).
Boat was kept in Lawrence NY.
Probably went south for the winters.

O.C.Barry 01-14-2009 02:45 PM

Renegade

I believeTom is correct, 540 Hawks. Renegade was at Turnberry Isle quite a bit in the 1980's. If you do a search on the Great McCarthy you'll see post by myself and others. Larry Goldman took care of most of the boats at Turnberry at the time, that's why they wound up in Miami Vice because Larry did a lot of the boat driving in the TV show. Both Larry and Craig Barrie would know for sure, Craig's dad's 38 was there as well.

My speed answer probably won't endear me to flat deck guys, but is was just about 70. Remember, the original boat show 38' Cover Girl on ran 72-73 in the magazine test and that boat has a half cabin. Cover Girl was (possiibly still is) owned by an old buddy of Tom and mine, Ray Clary. He originally changed the name to Blown Income, then to Top Fuel, then back to Blown Income.

MidOcean 01-27-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry (Post 2777860)
I believeTom is correct, 540 Hawks. Renegade was at Turnberry Isle quite a bit in the 1980's. If you do a search on the Great McCarthy you'll see post by myself and others. Larry Goldman took care of most of the boats at Turnberry at the time, that's why they wound up in Miami Vice because Larry did a lot of the boat driving in the TV show. Both Larry and Craig Barrie would know for sure, Craig's dad's 38 was there as well.

My speed answer probably won't endear me to flat deck guys, but is was just about 70. Remember, the original boat show 38' Cover Girl on ran 72-73 in the magazine test and that boat has a half cabin. Cover Girl was (possiibly still is) owned by an old buddy of Tom and mine, Ray Clary. He originally changed the name to Blown Income, then to Top Fuel, then back to Blown Income.

Larry, a good friend of mine, did'nt do alot of driving for MM productions. OPBRA was first approached by Moby and I to put "a few" boats together for a "small" "private" boat race to Bimini. Larry, because he was detailing boats at Turnberry at the time, knew many of the people who wanted (dreamed) of being on the show.

The biggest star of the ep was a guy named Craig Maudsly who had a 30' Shadow cat at the time. I ended up in a boat called "Bad Company" with Gary Jeffries. The original teleplay called for a "private" race to run to Bimini with the boat switch(originally to be a 44' Tempest) to occure there. Because of permitting problems and the massive amount of boats that showed up for the first production meeting, things changed. John Nicolella, supervising producer, made the call to change the tone of the "race" breaking one of Mann's rules for the show... NO RED! No red boats, cars, etc. Because of this, Nicolella was blammed for "The Great McCarthey" being one of the worst rated of the Miami Vice Ep's.

In the end the 44' Tempest was replaced with a 50' Cary owned by Jimmy Bryant, an Oakland Park, Fl Toyota dealer. The bimini scenes where shot in anglefish creek by Ocean reef with production staging on Elliot Key. The race party was at Nixon's Mansion.

O.C.Barry 01-27-2009 10:41 AM

So who drove Red Ryder in the episode?

I met Moby back in those days. I think I still have his business card somewhere, if I remember correctlly he had a production company. He liked the looks of my friends' 41 Apache Jenny's Express and said he thought it would look good on screen. But I think by that time much of the boat TV & movie shots were kind of fading away at that time so nothing ever transpired..

I remember the shots of Bad Company chine walking pretty hard in what looked like Government Cut.

MidOcean 01-27-2009 12:04 PM

Larry Drove Red Ryder, but the gig didnt happen because, as it was stated, Larry used to drive alot on Miami Vice.

The only shots of Bad Company where in the opening scenes(featured in the rest of the episodes preambles), and one fleeting shot off Elliot key as all the boats ran around a check bouy.

Unfortunately Offshore does'nt sell like we think it should. Mann spent 22 mil in the MV film on the boating scenes alone and most of them were cut from the theatrical release.(this includes ALL of the racing scenes). People will watch what people can relate to. NASCAR is an easy fit because we all drive cars... the genius behind early stock-car racing was that they put racers behind the wheels of cars that were "stock". People could relate. The average American thinks boating is something you do in freshwater and usually involves worms and a fishing pole. We have a very small and deteriorating audience.

O.C.Barry 01-27-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MidOcean (Post 2787029)
Larry Drove Red Ryder, but the gig didnt happen because, as it was stated, Larry used to drive alot on Miami Vice.

The only shots of Bad Company where in the opening scenes(featured in the rest of the episodes preambles), and one fleeting shot off Elliot key as all the boats ran around a check bouy.

Unfortunately Offshore does'nt sell like we think it should. Mann spent 22 mil in the MV film on the boating scenes alone and most of them were cut from the theatrical release.(this includes ALL of the racing scenes). People will watch what people can relate to. NASCAR is an easy fit because we all drive cars... the genius behind early stock-car racing was that they put racers behind the wheels of cars that were "stock". People could relate. The average American thinks boating is something you do in freshwater and usually involves worms and a fishing pole. We have a very small and deteriorating audience.

I agree that most people relate to racing that has a car that appears somewhat like their car. Offshore racing was once called, 'The Sport of Madmen and Kings". Last I checked, I'm not running a country, so it's clear what category I fall in. I think it is harder for the general public to relate to what we do. Most of my friends not in the sport can't imagine why I would wrench on the boat for so many hours for such a short time running; but that takes us back to the Sport of Madmen and Kings again doesn't it.........

In The Pink 01-27-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MidOcean (Post 2787029)
We have a very small and deteriorating audience.

I agree. I notice young kids will walk past my boat sitting on the trailer and barely give it a glance. But, years ago, people would pull over to talk to me about it. I'm worried this is a dying sport. If it is, I'm going out like a mad man!:drink:

O.C.Barry 01-27-2009 12:50 PM

You don't happen to be Barry with the 42' Fountain and big power?

In The Pink 01-27-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry (Post 2787064)
You don't happen to be Barry with the 42' Fountain and big power?

:party-smiley-004:No. not Barry, but everything else is right.:grinser010:

priceb 01-27-2009 04:48 PM

I think the biggest problem this sport is facing is greenies and left wing idiots. As this carbon crap continues to grow, and the constant crackdown on the population by more and more rules, we will see speed limits and restrictions get worse and worse, and carbon testing and taxes on our boats will increase.

fastdonzi 01-27-2009 05:09 PM

A Bit off topic but MidOcean, Do you remember when a Kid that worked for Larry G took Craig Barry's Brand New Scarab for the 1 1/2 mile trip from Cigarette To Turnberry for the Mayden Voyage?

MidOcean 01-27-2009 09:48 PM

The Grey and Burgandy Scarab? That guy also worked for Julio D. ??

fastdonzi 01-28-2009 06:00 AM

I Believe this was a All white scarab, the kid was showing off going under the bridge, Obviously going too fast to make the turn and hit the gaurd that protects the pillars and flipped a 5 minute old boat. Craig was not happy.

O.C.Barry 01-28-2009 12:59 PM

Marina Tower

Back then I used to stay on the fifth floor of the Marina Tower at Turnberry. The sights and sounds up the intercoastal then were incredible. Thanks for sparking that nice memory on a very cold, icy Maryland day, it was a great diversion.

MidOcean 01-28-2009 01:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought my fav. boat from MD.. a 33 powerplay from a guy named Trainer. We tested on the chesapeak... Great boat. All white, trip 200's. I miss that one.

O.C.Barry 01-28-2009 01:38 PM

I feel the same way about a very similar boat, my 34 Coyote I bought from Nardi Carriega. Even more than our old Top Gun, I wish I never would have sold the Coyote. Ron Dollar sold it for me to a Bahamian named Darrigton Brown.

MidOcean 01-28-2009 01:44 PM

Ron and I were old frineds. The Coyote is a great boat... designed of course by Jean Claud Simon, the FATHER of offshore powerboats creating the basis for 90% of what we see today. Was yours the grey boat with the number on the bow?

O.C.Barry 01-28-2009 02:14 PM

I liked Ron a lot. Ron was incredibly helpful with information and a good friend. Ron told us at dinner around Thanksgiving he was sick. He told me he had Stage 4 cancer and I asked what is that? I was dating a nurse at the time and she kicked me hard under the table. Ron saw me flinch and repsonded with kind of a laugh and said, 'Well I'll put it this way, there is no stage 5.' Bill and I visited him on Palm Sunday one week before he passed away. We lost Gary Brightwell (Jenny's Express Apache) around ths same time and then i got cancer in 2002. Fortunately I recovered. Agreed about JCS and the Coyote's, Cobra's, etc. Mine was all red with a black stripe when Nardi had it. He had Color Me Gone on the transom. I painted it white with graphics and the race number 98 on the sides and deck, so it may be the one you are thinking of. It sat at Ron's for quite a few months.

MidOcean 01-28-2009 02:20 PM

I remember the boat. There was a 38 Coyote that was the original mold for the Sonic. It was red and black. Owned by Claud Tubianna of Key Largo. Jay used that boat to make the original 38 molds which are the same molds all of the first 33's came out of... which is why a 33 always looked like it was riding bow heavy... It came out of a 38' mold with a dam.

O.C.Barry 01-28-2009 02:28 PM

You are correct, they rode very bow heavy. Even the decks of the early Sonics looked very Coyote - like. The scalloped deck was gone but the gunnels were very wide like the Coyote.

7xchamp 01-28-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry (Post 2787958)
You are correct, they rode very bow heavy. Even the decks of the early Sonics looked very Coyote - like. The scalloped deck was gone but the gunnels were very wide like the Coyote.

You will probably remember couple other boats famous at Tunrberry. JJ`s Joint 35 Cig Jacoby and Joey ipp`s 38` custom Larry Smith Scarab with trip 2.5`s Jeffrey S. used to take it joy riding all the time Talking early 80`s We all ran the snot out of boats up and down the intracoastal then, those were the days.

MidOcean 01-28-2009 02:41 PM

Jeff S. was pretty young back then. The late 70's "Turnberry Brat Pack" was Jeff S., Steve Weintraub, Mike Hirsh, Philly, and Myself... Now those were the days!

buckknekkid 01-28-2009 04:10 PM

Richie?? 7X ,, dat chu?

buckknekkid 01-28-2009 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MidOcean (Post 2787549)
The Grey and Burgandy Scarab? That guy also worked for Julio D. ??

sorta like a Palm readers reply there!:hitfan:

MidOcean 01-28-2009 04:36 PM

Gee... its Buckknekkid(Barry Coen)... hows the little alien in the belly doing... say hi for me you fat F*#@

buckknekkid 01-28-2009 05:43 PM

temper termper oh misguided prevaricator. try to keep your stories straight this time.. I thought you were still in jail :Whatever:

MidOcean 01-28-2009 06:55 PM

Ive never spent a day in jail. But one question for you: Did your status as a convicted sex offender follow you to Canada?

Still pissed that I got you FIRED from Hot Boat Mag I see. That was what.... 11 years ago. Get over it.

fastdonzi 01-28-2009 06:56 PM

Ha, I tought Jeff S to drive a car (scariest F'ing thing ever) He Borrowed the maids car and insisted on driving out of turberrys parking lot, having never drove anything before it was kinda scary. Steve weintraub bought our 16 Manta and put a 2.4 merc on it, the only person who could really crack it open was steve Curtis, he's friggin fearless. Mid ocean, did you dad have a Cig at turnberry? did your hang out at cougar as a Kid?

buckknekkid 01-28-2009 07:00 PM

hang out

Cimmino, were you ever a kid? I pity your parents:angry-smiley-038:

7xchamp 01-29-2009 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by buckknekkid (Post 2788028)
Richie?? 7X ,, dat chu?

That`s me !!!!!!!!!!

O.C.Barry 01-29-2009 08:09 AM

Mr Powers

Originally Posted by 7xchamp (Post 2788436)
That`s me !!!!!!!!!!

Ritchie - You wouldn't remember me, but I met you at the New York show when you were throttleing for Jerry. AJAC Hawk was on display there. I'll never forget it because while you and I were talking, Jerry walked up, wished you happy birthday and handed you a looseleaf binder with page after page of, well let's call them 'prospective birthday presents'. Obviously, it left a lasting impression. Those were the days.....

Thanks for all of the info in your posts.

Barry

O.C.Barry 01-29-2009 08:17 AM

Turnberry

Originally Posted by 7xchamp (Post 2787963)
You will probably remember couple other boats famous at Tunrberry. JJ`s Joint 35 Cig Jacoby and Joey ipp`s 38` custom Larry Smith Scarab with trip 2.5`s Jeffrey S. used to take it joy riding all the time Talking early 80`s We all ran the snot out of boats up and down the intracoastal then, those were the days.

I do remember those. You probably remember that James Caan and A guy from Baltimore named Ben Pumpian had a 38 Scarab with lips painted on the side of it called Be Rite Back. The Turnberry Teens ran that boat hard as well. When James Caan took it out, he would start it and free rev it to 5,000 to warm it up. It used to make me cringe every time.

Remember the cat there, Wall Street Express? And of course the Orange Bubbledeck Cigarette that sold on OSO recently. Some people didn't like it but short of AJAC Hawk, it was one of my favorite boats ever.

DareDevil 01-29-2009 08:25 AM

Sorry to jump in to your NICE conversation. But wasn't the 34 Coyote the same hull as the 33 PP ?

I should of never ever sold my PP !

VERY GOOD BOATS.

O.C.Barry 01-29-2009 08:36 AM

Coyote

I believe that the 33 PP was a Coyote splash but I'll defer to MidOcean, Ritchie, or Charlie M; they will know for sure.

fastdonzi 01-29-2009 09:20 AM

James Caan and Jeff S's Dad co owned a 38 scarab, It had a grey/black fade paint job on the sides and deck.