Notices

Beep Beep 38 Coyote

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by california500
that boat feathered , i think this is something built at mr bananna s shop. this is not an original msv/cobra 38. i moved to europe 1983, in my absence i think some copies were taken some of my hulls. these were done with out my permission or bob s .i also thought the name beep beep was property of mr halpern. sonny miller
Hi California500,
Just to confirm I am not suggesting this is the race boat beep beep or msv/Cobra 38. This is a Coyote 38 SE built by J.C. Simon from Miami. Did you know him?
Also Top Banana mentioned a bit more about the history in this thread a while back.
Cheers!
JC
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...pgrades-2.html
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Beep Beep
Hi California500,
Just to confirm I am not suggesting this is the race boat beep beep or msv/Cobra 38. This is a Coyote 38 SE built by J.C. Simon from Miami. Did you know him?
Also Top Banana mentioned a bit more about the history in this thread a while back.
Cheers!
JC
We all know who Jean Claude Simon is, but what did he have to do with Sonny and Joel Halpern's "Beep Beep" line of race boats?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by california500
1976 ohio sandy satillo and myself in tortuga 2 sonny miller
Uhmm..something is unclear to me, Sonny.
In the race in Ohio 1976 (Cedar Point) Satullo ran and won with his 38' Bertram.
And so it was in 1977.
Marco
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Uhmm..something is unclear to me, Sonny.
In the race in Ohio 1976 (Cedar Point) Satullo ran and won with his 38' Bertram.
And so it was in 1977.
Marco
Ciao! My mistake.. I built Tortuga 2 in '76 for the Bisentennial of the USA. You can look at the flags on the boat... Jon Varese died before we had a chance to race the boat. The boat had two kiekheifer aero marine custom single turbos on it. IT was illegal. Sandy Satillo loaned me two engines; we towed the boat to Ohio, we then ran in '78 or '79. Satillo was without a boat and wanted to try our hull. We blew an engine in the first hour.

It's hard to remember that long ago. I almost have to go to the SeaRace book.

-SM
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
We all know who Jean Claude Simon is, but what did he have to do with Sonny and Joel Halpern's "Beep Beep" line of race boats?
T2x, maybe I missed a post but i dont recall anyone sugeesting there was an affiliation between them?

Do you know if JC is still alive?

Cheers!
JC
Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Beep Beep
T2x, maybe I missed a post but i dont recall anyone sugeesting there was an affiliation between them?

Do you know if JC is still alive?

Cheers!
JC
I have no idea where JCS is or if he is alive. My questions have more to do with the fact that the name "Beep Beep" is steeped in offshore racing tradition and the hulls looked a lot like yours. It appears that JCS took one of his hulls and attemped to annex the Beep Beep legacy with it, yet there is no true relation. I may be hopelessly wrong here and if so I apologise, but this would be like Larry Smith taking a Scarab and calling it "The Cigarette" and then trying to pass it off as somehow related to Aronow IMHO (although, to this day, I can't tell the difference between a Scarab and a Cigarette ).

Please someone else jump in here and show me the error of my ways...if I am mistaken.

T2x
Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If T2x was alone in a lifeboat, in the center of the Sargasso Sea, and he got an idea regarding the history of offshore racing, would he still be wrong?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
I have no idea where JCS is or if he is alive. My questions have more to do with the fact that the name "Beep Beep" is steeped in offshore racing tradition and the hulls looked a lot like yours. It appears that JCS took one of his hulls and attemped to annex the Beep Beep legacy with it, yet there is no true relation. I may be hopelessly wrong here and if so I apologise, but this would be like Larry Smith taking a Scarab and calling it "The Cigarette" and then trying to pass it off as somehow related to Aronow IMHO (although, to this day, I can't tell the difference between a Scarab and a Cigarette ).

Please someone else jump in here and show me the error of my ways...if I am mistaken.

T2x
Your perspective is quite interesting however JC didn’t build a Coyote and name it MSV/Cobra ("Scarab and calling it Cigarette"). It sounds like you are implying because there was the MSV/Cobra race boat named Beep Beep we should not have the same boat name? Hmm...

Well before you concluded the above with suggesting JC stepped on the legacy we should probably go back to when the name Coyote was actually formed. I am no historian of raceboats but I am sure many will chime in and I would love to hear the history of Coyote from JC himself.
Based on the fact that the boat is a Coyote named after Wylie Coyote the cartoon character and the infamous saying "Beep Beep" I think it makes perfect Logical sense to name the boat Beep Beep.

Sorry if your feelings are somehow hurt or you take offense because you feel the name Beep Beep is owned or attached legally or not by the owners of MSV/Cobra. I'm sure the other members won’t be so partial to the fact that the boat is named Beep Beep.

We are approaching 30 years of our Coyote being named Beep Beep and I will admit you are probably the first to contend the name? The only owners of the name Beep Beep legally that I can see dont even own the name anymore. http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...06:ca4ana.2.20

Furthermore how you have somehow associated in your mind per your post " I may be hopelessly wrong here and if so I apologise, but this would be like Larry Smith taking a Scarab and calling it "The Cigarette" and then trying to pass it off as somehow related to Aronow" surprises me. Surely you have read my responses to your previous post that we have not intended or suggested that our Coyote, Beep Beep is related to the Race boat MSV/Cobra "Beep Beep" or Aronow.

Sounds like you may have a thing for JC Simon or the hull Coyote itself? Maybe a Coyote blasted past you in a race back in the day and you just never had the satisfaction of getting back?

Btw: when you said “It appears that JCS took one of his hulls” Are you the guy who’s first post was about the history of boats and how they were all copies from one another?
Maybe you didn’t see Top Banana’s post?

Cheers!

Last edited by Beep Beep; 02-04-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Uh, I could be wrong here "Beep Beep", but I don't think you want to go about challenging T2x on the history of offshore racing. He knows the history and the players, probably as well or better than anyone, and I am certain he is well aware as to the history of the "Coyote" legacy. His opinions and conclusions are open to debate, but not the facts.

I will say that I always was under the inmpression that there was a link between JCS and the "Beep Beep" Cobra hulls of Halpern, but I am not certain. I seem to recall a photo in "Searace" of JCS standing next to the "Beep Beep" Cobra hull. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TGC-32
Uh, I could be wrong here "Beep Beep", but I don't think you want to go about challenging T2x on the history of offshore racing. He knows the history and the players, probably as well or better than anyone, and I am certain he is well aware as to the history of the "Coyote" legacy. His opinions and conclusions are open to debate, but not the facts.

I will say that I always was under the inmpression that there was a link between JCS and the "Beep Beep" Cobra hulls of Halpern, but I am not certain. I seem to recall a photo in "Searace" of JCS standing next to the "Beep Beep" Cobra hull. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this?
TGC-32; thank you for your post. You are correct I do not want to challenge T2x on the history of offshore racing or anyone on the forum for that matter. I respect the facts and debate some of the opinions.
I incorrectly made a comment on my post regarding race history which I have respectfully removed from my post and retract the statement.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.