Notices

3100 shadow cat

Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Black Shadow was the boat that Zero Defect ran over and sank in KW harbor. It then had extensive glass work done to it. I would guess that this is that boat. The American Express in your other pictures is a Chris Cat owned by another member here, currently under restoration.
American Express was indeed a Chris Cat and ran at an APBA divisional race that I was Race Director for here in Rochester, NY back in the late 1980's. If I recall correctly, it ran Richie Zuhl small blocks and flat out flew. Sounded pretty awesome too.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one that know of any "project/cheap" shadows/chris's feel free to email me. I want to sell my boat for one but don't want to until I have one in mind. [email protected]

I heard since they were 6" narrower the shadows did better with small blocks/outboards while the chris's were good with big blocks.. Any truth to this?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Any one that know of any "project/cheap" shadows/chris's feel free to email me. I want to sell my boat for one but don't want to until I have one in mind. [email protected]

I heard since they were 6" narrower the shadows did better with small blocks/outboards while the chris's were good with big blocks.. Any truth to this?
This is true. The Chris cats were built with big blocks in mind. And my Dad's shadow with triple 2.4's was faster than the Chris cats with the same power. He did not race the regular season in '84, but had a bye into the Key West worlds because he was defending champ. Went down there and whooped all the Chris Cats. It was especially satisfying because apparently all the Chris cat guys were talking smack to the Lake X guys about how they were going to unseat the "Black Duck." Nope...

Then in '85 we had a Chris Cat with 454's delivered as our pleasure boat...

Last edited by Gladhe8er; 09-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
This is true. The Chris cats were built with big blocks in mind. And my Dad's shadow with triple 2.4's was faster than the Chris cats with the same power. He did not race the regular season in '84, but had a bye into the Key West worlds because he was defending champ. Went down there and whooped all the Chris Cats. It was especially satisfying because apparently all the Chris cat guys were talking smack to the Lake X guys about how they were going to unseat the "Black Duck." Nope...

Then in '85 we had a Chris Cat with 454's delivered as our pleasure boat...
If I recall correctly, didn't a Chris Cat win in 85? I can't be 100%, but I'm pretty sure.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
If I recall correctly, didn't a Chris Cat win in 85? I can't be 100%, but I'm pretty sure.
Maybe, but by then my Dad had sold his Shadow.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85

Yes.........

Shadows are faster wih O/B's and small blocks, but don't handle big blocks as well as a Chris Cat.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
The last decent Shadow Cat (Marlboro) was built before George and I left the company in 1982.....after that the quality went down and the number of boats sold to racers dropped. Most of the potential Shadow buyers followed George to Chris Cats or me to Conquest.

By 1985 the Shadow Cat glory days were basically over...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
I know all about it, I was there and was 50' away when it happened. I also saw the boat being repaired here in Sarasota and have pictures of it under repair. They were doing a lot more work than what your describing.
Hi ryan, Can you post a pic of the repairs that were done in sarasota? It ended up at chicago yacht yard and was repainted white and repaired again. We must of been standing next to each other because I was sitting on the concrete wall also when they got run over.

Last edited by northernoffshore; 09-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't post pics here anymore.... it was repaired here in Sarasota at the shop the Phantom is in now, off of University and OLD 301. I wanna say the guys name was Terry, who did the repair.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Prostock85:
Quite a historic scrap of paper you have there! I see you are from Lake Hopatcong, did you find it in Elbie's garage? LOL
I would have thought George drew designed the boat it earlier than 81.That "Drawing on a cocktail napkin" is on par with finding Noah's drawing of the Ark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.