1970 Bertram Baron 28 Project >

1970 Bertram Baron 28 Project

Notices

1970 Bertram Baron 28 Project

Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

nice shelter job! now you are in the fun part of the restoration.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by captaintyler
This weekend I've put the Baron back in the garage for the winter. This will enable me to finish the interior at my leisure and make sure its ready for next summer. I've also removed the trailer this winter so I can prep the bottom for paint. It was more of a job than I thought it would be but its finished. Getting it back on the trailer in the spring should be a treat but I'm hoping I come up with a better system than floor jacks and blocking. Does anybody know of any gloss white paint that can be used on boat bottoms. I looking for a glossy white to match the deck. It currently has a thin layer of dull white paint that is all cracked and chipping and has been there for 30+ years. I can't seem to find a suitable paint in the color white. Any help would be great.
Too late now but I would have thought you would have flipped the boat and re-gel coated the bottom before doing work to the deck and hull. I'm not sure any paint will do well below the water line for any length of time. You might put a thread in the Fiberglass forum and see what GlassDave has to say.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of some great benefits to applying an epoxy barrier coat (Interlux and others) to the bottom prior to painting. Especially if you plan on leaving the boat in the water for any length of time. If you're going to do the bottom anyway, you may want to consider this. Particularly since you have spared nothing to date to make this restoration perfect. Great job and I have enjoyed reading about it.

Dan
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Too late now but I would have thought you would have flipped the boat and re-gel coated the bottom before doing work to the deck and hull. I'm not sure any paint will do well below the water line for any length of time. You might put a thread in the Fiberglass forum and see what GlassDave has to say.
The bottom is in great shape with just a few small blisters and I wouldn't be painting it if it wasn't for the above water paint turning out so well. Now the bottom looks like it needs attention to match the rest of the boat. I wish it was never painted to begin with but I can't do anything about that now. Atleast it only has a single coat of paint that is very thin. I don't have the equipment to flip over a boat this size nor the garage space to work on it. The boat will be used in fresh water and not left in the water for any longer than a day or two at a time so antifouling paint is not needed. I just want to get it looking clean and not have to redo it in the near future.
Has anyone had experience using Supermarine Revolution SM 1000. It sounds great on their website but I would like to get some real life reviews on it before I go through the hassle of using it and having peel off in a year. All other glossy types of paint don't recommend using below the waterline.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Look into this.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=2330
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have just re-read this thread and i think you are related to houdini! Can't say enough about it. Awesome! "Save the Bertrams" should be in a class of its own!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by captaintyler
Art, I had the parts water jetted at a place in Ellsworth, ME. They did a great job and were very reasonable. I paid $115 for the four vents which also included the material and shipping to my house. If your interested I can find the phone number. To bad about your drives. I think I'll be putting to Baron back in the garage so I can finish the interior and paint the bottom. This time I'll have to enclose the entire bow to protect the new paint. My next garage will be 36' deep. Temps are getting too cold to work on it. They are talking about getting some light snow here tonight.
thanks, we are testing the saber now. but have issues with the balance of the hull it looks with the tranny in the ext box and gas tank behind the seat ,to much bow lift. going back out this sunday for the last time I think. art
Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

First time looking at the thread, an absolutely great job. Will be back to see the beautiful finished boat!

Congrats!

Phil
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

amazing work!!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very impressed with your wood work. I am building a 28 Maltese. I wanted the old school flavor as well. I used a lot of teak trim, but your Baron's interior is outstanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.