Notices

Blue Thunder?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Thunder?

I don't know how old it has to be to be considered classic but I have never seen one of these for sale... Is this the same hull as Blue Thunder? Is it a TG split in half? Is it a wave crusher like the old Flat decks and TGs? Seems to be clean but totally underpowered....?
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12185

Last edited by ChineWalker; 04-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand that something in the core absorbed water and made them quite heavy. Browne or McCarthy can lend more to this discussion. Bud
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
I understand that something in the core absorbed water and made them quite heavy. Browne or McCarthy can lend more to this discussion. Bud
These were built before core etc just a whole lot of glass. I built one for a client with twin 450hp diesels called none of your business . It is my belief that it came from the 35` mold just cut in half and a tunel put in and deck extension/platform to make it 39` Reason they didn`t run that good is they were using same power as they put in the 35 V bottoms, so figure it was almost like to 35 footers, with a small tunel that couldnt pack much air it was slow. at the time the biggest mercruiser offering was a 440hp with TRS drive. the boat I built with the twin diesels and arnesons ran 52 mph and was one of the best rough water boats around
Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
These were built before core etc just a whole lot of glass. I built one for a client with twin 450hp diesels called none of your business . It is my belief that it came from the 35` mold just cut in half and a tunel put in and deck extension/platform to make it 39` Reason they didn`t run that good is they were using same power as they put in the 35 V bottoms, so figure it was almost like to 35 footers, with a small tunel that couldnt pack much air it was slow. at the time the biggest mercruiser offering was a 440hp with TRS drive. the boat I built with the twin diesels and arnesons ran 52 mph and was one of the best rough water boats around
Also, if I remember reading right, by just spliting the V hull at the keel line and spreading it out did not really enhance it's ride too much.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Blue Thunder

7X champ how were these different than the ones that were built for the government by Aronow ? Bud
Old 04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the same as the Blue Thunder Boats. If you want to run wfo and not spill your drink they are a great ride....
Old 05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered
VIP Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2365140881.html

Not a Blue Thunder? And price went up from Ga to Fla... Good ol buy and sell..
Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I remember seeing that on 188th street at the Fort
Attached Thumbnails Blue Thunder?-5c67_3.jpg   Blue Thunder?-922a69.jpg   Blue Thunder?-1207a35.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding that the 39 USA came from the same mold that Aronow kept after selling Cigarette... the second 39' Squadron 12 mold. From it two parts were made... one that was split for the USA and one that was given to Scacenti for the 41 apache.... this mold had the 17 degree transom which is how it ended up on the Apache (hulls 1-6) After blowing many trim rams, all the boats after # 6 were built with a 5 degree wedge block in the mold reducing the transom to 12. This is why many of the 41's have that 4" lip at the top of the transom.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered
VIP Member

It's my understanding that the 39 USA came from the same mold that Aronow kept after selling Cigarette... the second 39' Squadron 12 mold. From it two parts were made... one that was split for the USA and one that was given to Scacenti for the 41 apache.... this mold had the 17 degree transom which is how it ended up on the Apache (hulls 1-6) After blowing many trim rams, all the boats after # 6 were built with a 5 degree wedge block in the mold reducing the transom to 12. This is why many of the 41's have that 4" lip at the top of the transom.
I know I'm going to sound like a total geek but, that is the coolest piece of powerboat knowage I've heard in a long time! Thanks. I love information like that.... Purely out of curosity and totally off topic; did Saber make the same mod with the 41'?

Like this, where at the top of the transom it angles aft to meet the deck?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...&f=39304_6.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.