Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please. >

Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.

Notices

Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sebastion,

Don't forget to look at the Formula 242, great first "offshore" boat... I bought a new one in 88 with 454 330hp and Bravo One. Dead solid and reliable boat, lots of fun, top notch build quailty and "forgiving" handling.

Lots of great deals out there, definitely a buyers market.

As others mentioned the Forumla 233 is also a great choice, but I think you can find a nice later model 242 for the same money and have never hardware etc.

Dave
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black max's don't have the rep of the old 2.5's but they are generally solid if you feed them good oil and gas in my experience. But honestly... The noise from a single sbc or bbc is WAY better and they are FAR cheaper and easier to maintain (again in my experience). Cash is right, a bbc/alpha combo can live for a long time if you don't mod the motor and don't get too much air, but sbc/alpha or bbc/bravo. Remember, Torque=acceleration, HP=Top speed. So a higher revving 383 with 500hp in front of an alpha will likely live longer than a 450hp 454 with an alpha. And weigh less! If you need more than 24x7, look for an older Mach 1 concorde 27ft'r with a single bbc/bravo and do basic bolt ons. Upper 60's and super reliable
Old 08-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Velocity 26/28 you'll be glad you bought one. I've ran alot of the boats talked about formula is good but heavy handle great just not fast . Check velocity they probably have a good trade you could get in cheap. Sorry but if you ran one you would be the same way.velocity biotches!!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hadleycat
If you are lookin for speed on a budget. I would consider a 24x7 boat such as the Pantera or a Sunsation Rocket / Agressor. These boats are 24 foot long with a 7 foot beam and ride great in the rough. You can get 70 out of one with a relatively mild big block such as a 454 mag. 365 h.p.
1+ On the Sunsation. I love mine they are very solid boats and handle great. Mine came with 454 330hp with Bravo drive. Just put a 400hp 468 in it and I think I should be able to get 72-75mph out of it, not sure yet because I am still breaking in the engine. I have only put 3 hours on it plus dyno time so far and have not run it hard yet to see if I need to prop up or down. I got 69mph out of the 330hp (on GPS) with a light load and perfect conditions.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Gold Member

No need to go larger then 24 feet. Pantera or Sunsation, Howard 220 rides large, Hallet 240 with 8.5 beam or the best choice of all, Warlock 23 XRI.....8 foot beam, 24 degree deadrise, 23' exactly but a lot of running surface. Very tough to find one but good luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Registered

If you guys don't mind throwing out years with the make and model recomendations it'd help. I'm searching some of the models on boat trader and craig's list. The results are not as "budget" as I had hoped LOL

This started with the thought of buying an old formula for 3-7k and polishing it up season after season. I don't mind spending more if it saves me headaches and money later but within reason.

Where should I be looking for light project boats? Or should I wait untill the seasons over to find one?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Registered

Hey guys. I found a 82ish 28' cig for a song. It's got staggered sbc's. Velvet trans and stern powr drives. Waiting on additional photos. Needs an interior and a paint job. Waiting for a phone call from the owner to ask about the stringers and transom condition. So far sounds good to me. from what I've read the drives on it are good for alot of power. downside is that parts are not as plentiful as merc or volvo. The rebuild kits for the trans are pretty reasonable and sbc's are just cake =) pretty pumped. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

Cool looking boats it's older so check it real good . At my buddies shop we just had to tell a guy he got screwed. He asked us to check it out thinking he got a good deal. I took out a creeper and slid under there were patches every where and a crack in the middle runing from side to side. The guy didn't believe use . Now it for sale with his number
As is.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Buy my boat if you looking for something cheap and fast but also seaworthy enough to take out in open water.. 1989 switzercraft with 350 magnum 270 horse does 60 with a 19 pitch prop.. and it is way way way under propped.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GregGuimond
No need to go larger then 24 feet. Pantera or Sunsation, Howard 220 rides large, Hallet 240 with 8.5 beam or the best choice of all, Warlock 23 XRI.....8 foot beam, 24 degree deadrise, 23' exactly but a lot of running surface. Very tough to find one but good luck.
1+ on no larger than 24 for a budget offshore. Last year before I bought my 24 Sunsation I was looking at older Scarabs (early 1980's) with twins because of the price. Everyone on here told me to go newer, smaller, and singe engine. I am glad I took that advice. I'm doing the same thing you want to do and upgrade the boat over time. With twins you have to buy 2 of everything and you have to worry about rot and condition allot more on a older boat. Mine is 1990 which is also older but was really well maintained and I got it for a song (the owner actually had to take out a personal loan because I gave him less than what he owned the bank for it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.