Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please. >

Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.

Notices

Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.

Hey guys, just like the title says, I'm looking into getting my first powerboat. I want it all but have a limited budget. I've been lurking on here and have been staying up late everynight for a month reading up on hull design and drive/motor combos.
I now know enough to get into big trouble =) This forum is a great resource and theres a ton of smart folks. I'm hoping I can borrow some experience and have the old salts point me in the right direction.

I live 15 min from dana point and dream of doing catalina runs in rough water... and I love going to fresh water lakes a few times a year. So the boats I've been eye balling are around 24'. I'd like to be able to build what ever I buy to one day do 70mph (sounds like a good number lol) slower now is ok I just don't wanna find out down the line that my hull is holding me back. I'm a mechanic by trade so motors,wiring and nuts and bolts don't scare me. Rotten wood and delamination does scare me. I understand the concept of laying glass but have no experience.

Some of the boats I think are good ideas

Formula 233 hull twin sbc alpha
Formula 233 hull single bbc alpha
Formula 272 thwin sbf (not sure if thhis was repowered or what drives?)
4 winns liberator bbc (don't know what drive)
chris craft scorpion sbc alpha
24' donzi(no other info)

I've found all of these around me for under 8k on Craig's list.
Please recomend what you think would be a good boat and why. I'm new and open to all input. i know boats aren't cheap but I am LOL so budget build is the idea. Something that can grow and get upgraded over time.

Thanks again
Sebastian

Last edited by little_dingy; 08-10-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Formula 233 hull is hands down one of the best hulls ever built for the size. And real length overall on that boat can grow to 25ft with a swim platform. Twin sbc's are the way to go if the transom checks out. The 272 is nice but I would stay away from the sbf's due to repair cost. Liberator's are fun but check for OMC cobra outdrive and the formula hulls ride better. The donzi could be real nice, but they either were owned by or collaberated with OMC so the often had cobra/king cobra drives which will be long run headaches
Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah definitely under 25ft will be your cup of tea. Formulas, Liberators and even some checkmates and bajas. One thing to keep in mind is if you say spend 10k now on 23ft Formula, you would be out 10-15k for a bigger engine and drive later. vs geting a 25-27 foot boat with the big engine already.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

I would stay away from an older boat with twin motors if you are on a budget.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
I would stay away from an older boat with twin motors if you are on a budget.
Why I got a 91 with twins and its been fine.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard really good htings about the formula 233. If you're truly budget, nothing beats an SBC. I'd be a bit hesitant to start modding a BBC with an alpha drive, as I'm not sure how long that would last due to all the torque. It'd be a good starting point but if you really want speed you'll probably blow yours out eventually, at which point you can either change drives (PITA) or buy one of those warrantied replacements.

Fiberglassing is easy, don't sweat it. It's just messy. NBD.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

If you are going to run to Catalina bigger will be better. If that 272 has volvo drives I would give it a look. The volvo drives are tough. Ford marine parts are harder to come by but since you are a mechanic you shouldn't have a problem. I would stay away from OMC/Cobra just due to lack of support. Take a boat savvy buddy with you when you take your first look at any boat to see things like soft wood, glass etc. Then if you decide to go forward have a pro check it out.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

i have a 22ft boat with over 400hp hooked to a volvo penta 290 drive and you could run up 500hp with that drive ,they are built proof, formula or donzi
Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

24 Pantera is another boat you should take a look at.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Magnum

You forgot where it all started Magnum.They can be purchased from $15-$60,000. And they are the original . Bud
Attached Thumbnails Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.-50.jpg   Budget first go fast boat. Recomendations please.-395.jpg  

Last edited by mr vinyl; 08-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.