First Boat Selection >

First Boat Selection

Notices

First Boat Selection

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajexpress
The Powerquest looks good, nice find, I'll have to get more pics. I'm callin the guy a out the sunsations tomorrow. Found a very nice pachanga 22 but it's got a 454 mated to an alpha. He says never had a problem, but I've read enough to hear bad stories. Thoughts?
Not an if...but a when. You could always run it until it breaks...then replace the drive...Alpha's are cheap and can be had easily.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive always heard if you baby the drive (dont hammer it to get on plane) and dont jump waves that you can make an alpha last a really long time. Of course, doing all this takes some of the fun out of owning the boat! Personally, I would never buy a boat that had the big block alpha combo. I dont think that combo was available for long..1987? I know the Bravo was out by 1988 and everything in 1984 and 1985 was TRS.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Ive always heard if you baby the drive (dont hammer it to get on plane) and dont jump waves that you can make an alpha last a really long time. Of course, doing all this takes some of the fun out of owning the boat! Personally, I would never buy a boat that had the big block alpha combo. I dont think that combo was available for long..1987? I know the Bravo was out by 1988 and everything in 1984 and 1985 was TRS.
Ditto that...that is the main reason I am upgrading to Bravo's even with very stout Small Blocks.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the cost to upgrade to a Bravo from an Alpha? Cost in parts? Cost in labor?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
JnT
Registered

This Pachanga looks clean but is in Atlanta. I've heard good things about them from other members.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2841765277.html
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

Thanks for the link JnT. This is why I asked about how much it would cost to install a bravo...cause I have a couple that are closer for sale...in excellent shape...and about $5000-$6000 less. Guess my thought is if installing a bravo is say (and I have no idea), $3500, I could just buy one local and when the alpha breaks upgrade.

From reading this is probably opening a can of worms, but how do you guys feel about a Regal Velocity '89. I know the song and dance about not being as good as the originial velocity 22 and not as good after regal and the other guy split.....but also hear some good things on these boards. Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Here is the latest breakdown and estimate Alpha to Bravo:

This considering all DIY labor. I you buy it done you can double the numbers.

Bravo Transom Assembly,rams, trim pump, cables. $1200~$1500
Bravo I drive in good condition, $1200~$2500
Bravo Bell Housing and coupler, $500~$600
Bravo Cooling Pump and plumbing $75~$1000
Misc seal, hardware, etc. $500

This requires that you pull the engine and replace the transom assembly. If you are set up to do this in a shop (I am) it is not a big deal. If you are doing this in your drive way...this is like removing the engine and transmission in a Van.

My recommendation...if you are not prepared to do this...don't do it...buy a boat that has the equipment you want.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ajexpress
Thanks for the link JnT. This is why I asked about how much it would cost to install a bravo...cause I have a couple that are closer for sale...in excellent shape...and about $5000-$6000 less. Guess my thought is if installing a bravo is say (and I have no idea), $3500, I could just buy one local and when the alpha breaks upgrade.

From reading this is probably opening a can of worms, but how do you guys feel about a Regal Velocity '89. I know the song and dance about not being as good as the originial velocity 22 and not as good after regal and the other guy split.....but also hear some good things on these boards. Thoughts?
Go to the Velocity website for more info...but basically, the Velocity founder severed his ties with Regal due to sub standard quality issues.

Velocity is a very high end un compromised boat builder...they don't build junk.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

I own a PowerQuest Spectra 222 XL. It is a 1995 with a 454 Mag. I bought it 2 years ago with only 105 hours on it for $14000. It has a nice cabin with a decent sized bed and 2 seats. It will do 60 mph. I realyy love the boat. Mine is not for sale but I would highly recommend one as a first boat. Very good quality and has a fiberglass cockpit liner with snap in carpet.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

One of my bud's purchased a 1996 Baja 236 w/300hrs last year for 12500. It's a big little boat with a 454. I was pretty much shocked at how much space was in the salon and the cockpit.
The only problem it has is the low water pickup in the skag of the outdrive.
After gobbling up some sand and small pebbles beaching on the San Jacinto river it ate up the water pump/fuel combo whatchamadigger. It was pricey and a pain in the ass to replace.
It'll hit high 50's to about 60 in the right water conditions.
Last year at the Toys for Tots run here in SE Texas we were in some 3+'s crossing Matagorda Bay, it was a rather bumpy ride at speed but took it like a champ as we got dusted by the bigger boats.
The good thing about older Baja's is they tend to be priced better than some of the more favored Mfg's models.

See ya,
Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.