Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
'87 Pachanga 22 Project Pics >

'87 Pachanga 22 Project Pics

Notices

'87 Pachanga 22 Project Pics

Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jay.. You suppose I could have the Factory heads Ported and Polished, swap the factory Cam with a Mild Cam, and of course roller rockers.. without having to get into the Lower end of the Motor?? I am running a Bone Stock Mag with an MSD Ignition. It's only got 220 hrs. On it, I was thinking adding a High Volume Oil Pump..Not High Pressure.. High Rise Intake, and maybe a 750 cfm carb with an electric fuel pump. I can have the Machine work done Locally by one of the best in the region for a LOT less than anyone else would charge. (He's a Client of mine.) He did the 455 in my Skylark, and I get better Gas Mileage at 80 MPH than I do at 55 so he knows how to dial a Big Block in to it's hp to torque ratios. 17,000 miles so far on his upgrades/rebuild and not a single hiccup with it. I like the reliabilty of a Stock Motor operating within it's designed parameters, but I'm also extremely fond of going Fast.... whaddya think?? Should I really Pay out the Wazzou for a pair of Dart Heads and let some other guy sell me the cam and valve setup to go along with'em or should I take advantage of the useable parts with this motor and limit the ammount of stress I subject it to??
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

I am sure you could. I would do a compression test first to see just how happy your cylinders are. My Pachanga ran amazing all season, and on the actual scheduled last trip out, my engine popped. I only had 290 hours on it. If all turns out well with the compression, then sure. I would look into the 062 Vortec heads as well. I found a pair on CL for 400bux, brand new in the box. They have some impressive flow numbers, and larger valves than the standard Mag heads. You have to run self aligning roller rockers on those heads, and change out the intake mani and valve covers as well. I ran those on my slightly worked over short block ( a true 4bolt main engine bored .060 over and fully balanced) and I ran a best of 64mph GPS (a tick over 70 on the speedo) on a 23P Vengeance at 5100 RPMs.

I am not sure how fast you want to run, but I would never rule out Forced Induction if you are looking for a lot of speed
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Who isn't looking for more speed right? I am just thinking..Okay, I can only spin this engine comfortably at about 4800 rpms and know I have Plenty of guts to spin a bigger prop the same # of Revolutions, but obviously I can't increase the Redline without significantly altering the engine. I'm sure the engineers that designed the motor found the assumably best mixture of rpm, horses, and torque to maximize the life and reliability of the motor itself. Perhaps I need to look into a different motor over the winter capable of spinning in the 5300-5600 range at wot and have the Mag Professionally rebuilt with the added upgrades in my initial post and shop some different heads while I'm at it and see if the cost difference between some aftermarket head and having the factory heads machined would be worth the net gain performancewise?? By forced air..are you talking a Procharger or suggesting a Ramair/Cowl Induction setup?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered

Ok, I forgot you are running a 454. If you are serious about a new engine, I would suggest rebuilding the one you have now. Assuming your block specs out, you can have the minimal machine work required done and run a 496 rotating assembly for a decent price. New marine engines as you know can cost a lot of money, and a lot of people dont like to rebuild. spend a few thousand and get more cubes out of your block (which means more power) and at least you know it will have all been done at the same time. Throw on some nasty heads, and you are in business. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Well that all depends.. How Fast CAN I go in a Pachanga 22?? 75-80 would be great with a low to mid 3200-3500 rpm cruise of about 55 would be perfect for me?? I have been told that Chine walk and basic handling goes out the window much over 70. I am not running trim tabs, just use the Powertrim on the Bravo 1. In the overall scheme of things, I'd love to have some stop actions taken of the boat at standstill, plane, and max mph. I think the second strake could use some downward arch toward the stern to improve the takeoff but clear the surface once on plane. Kindof like Flaps on an Airplane. They're great for lift at slow speed, but bad for speed at High Speed.. make sense?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

When I was looking to buy my Pachanga, I talked to a gentlemen with a 500hp 454 setup, he said he ran 85mph all day long. He had full hydraulic steering, tabs and a newer style Bravo. After an "accident" where he was thrown from the driver's seat very hard, he put the boat up for sale. You can go as fast as you want to, but it seems like after 70-75mph, you lose a lot of the "comfort" in the boat.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Okay.. Well I was looking to add about 100 to 150 horses with cam, intake, heads, and valvetrain. If you think that'd have me in the 70/75 mph range without sacrificing the reliability of the basic motor, then I think that's enough for me. I can just start saving for a 27 footer with Twins! ;-) Maybe that's what I'll get Myself for my 42nd Birthday??
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

does anyone know where i can get Pachanga 22 graphics? thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Hey guys new to the forum and happy to be finding a lot of useful info here. I grew up on the water and a good friend that had a P22 with a 350, which we ran almost every day for 3 summers. What a great boat! Also had access to twin screw 270 Sundance, which was also a great boat.

I am currently looking to pick something up that I can run around with and get my wife and kids accustomed to the water. If they take a liking to the water, I could see us graduating to something like the twin engine Sundancer. The reason I'm looking at the Pachanga is because I like the lines and comfort of the boat. While I know the P22 will be easier to trailer, I only live 4 tenths of a mile from the local boat ramp. I'm seriously considering going for a P27 over the P22 for a couple of reasons to my rationale:
Twin engins, so if I were to have a mechanical issue, I could limp home on one motor, a huge level of mental comfort with two kids aboard.
The deeper cockpit seems like it would be safer and more comfortable with kids.
More useful cuddy in the event that I will be able to convince the Mrs. to do an overnight on the boat.
I know that the P22 would be easier to trailer, but given my proximity to the ramp, not sure that means much; it seams that a nice P27 is not tremendously more money than the P22. I would love to hear other thoughts.

I apologize if this is a bit off topic of the OPs original post.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stickman811
Very Nice! I like the Monchromatic Red Scheme. I'm going with SS stripes front to back with Red and White Accents and Red Carpet. Topside Gelcoat is Husker Red with A little Candy in it and there's pearl in the White but it doesn't show in the pics, I've been at it for a week and a half with 3m heavy Duty Rubbing compound and my high speed buffer/polisher. It's a Labor of Love for sure! What kinda Motor and drive setup you running Strongside?
Took me 8 years to answer, but HP500 with Cutler fuel injection, Bravo 1, single ram hydraulic steering.