Notices

GLOPRA Pictures

Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great pictures..please keep them coming.I would assume the APBA Divisional races back then ran the SPORT,MODIFIED and PRODUCTION classes...and some LOCAL or "CLUB" classes.That format was followed here in NJ with great success in the 70s and 80s by the BARNEGAT BAY POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION and later by the NATIONAL POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION.The focus was on weekend warrior type of racing.It was really neat.Once a year many of the local teams would step up to the local APBA National race...THE BENIHANA GRAND PRIX.I would love to see that type of racing make a comeback!

Last edited by waterboy1; 01-12-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy1
Great pictures..please keep them coming.I would assume the APBA Divisional races back then ran the SPORT,MODIFIED and PRODUCTION classes...and some LOCAL or "CLUB" classes.That format was followed here in NJ with great success in the 70s and 80s by the BARNEGAT BAY POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION and later by the NATIONAL POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION.The focus was on weekend warrior type of racing.It was really neat.Once a year many of the local teams would step up to the local APBA National race...THE BENIHANA GRAND PRIX.I would love to see that type of racing make a comeback!
Classes: A, B, C. D, Production, Mod, Sport, RWYB (Local) , Powder Puff (Women Driver) and then they changed from there to over priced racing "NASCAR Boat Racing" or production classes, V,Super V's ect. and then to nothing. The little guy was gone. Prize money over pride, Volunteer's, Economy, Interest in the sport or just the change of time.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Registered

Default Couple more

1979 Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-094.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-085.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-086.jpg  

GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-087.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-093.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy1
You could race 25 or 30 APBA & club races around the country if you chose to. We ran all the APBA & most of the club races for years.
The fastest boats didn't always win.
You had to finish over a hundred miles in the ocean & navigation was key. No such thing as GPS.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
You could race 25 or 30 APBA & club races around the country if you chose to. We ran all the APBA & most of the club races for years.
The fastest boats didn't always win.
You had to finish over a hundred miles in the ocean & navigation was key. No such thing as GPS.
would love also to see it come back and let the little guy in a 21 ft to 23ft run in a limited class.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In post #67, anyone know the original owner of Mariah? Also post #110 any info on that # 77 boat? All these pics are epic!! Thank You!

Last edited by bobo1; 01-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The #77 boat looks like a 24 Excaliber.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered

A few more. Most of these are vergins to OSO. They are a small link of many to the excitement that we enjoy today in power boat racing. Post your pictures even if they entered a race on the Great lakes or if it is a boat you raced or put together. The pictures show the hard work and passion that these Racers have and had for the sport. As most of you know Boat racing did'nt have the spectator's that most racing sports had. Pull the pictures out of the hiding places and let the rest of the Racers and Spectator's share the excitement.
Attached Thumbnails GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-065.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-066.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-068.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Those were the Days.. Hard work Mon-Fri Play all weekend.
Real Grass roots sporting Event.

Originally Posted by legend
Who had the best tow vehical?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobo1
In post #67, anyone know the original owner of Mariah? Also post #110 any info on that # 77 boat? All these pics are epic!! Thank You!
The #77 boat was named Black Magic from Ohio. It was a popular boat in the Club. Someone will probably chime in before I remember what the make was. P&D, Martini, Excalibur ect. I think a couple of them also made a 26.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.