Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Collectibility of old offshore boats >

Collectibility of old offshore boats

Notices

Collectibility of old offshore boats

Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fscreeenname well said 90% of projects never gets finished...but regarding old raceboats value Dunno but our Garage has a almost 90yrs old one that is the first historically marked boat overhere. A wooden yes, surface drive and a step Value... to the owner priceless and not for sale. Yes it's small ca 20 ft so that's one of the reasons it's a keeper. Big offshore boats on the otherhand are quite hard to store but so are racecars...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Never going to happen, too big and too expensive. Collector car market is going DOWN slowly too, I believe other than adjusted for inflation collector cars will NEVER bring the money they did 5-10 years ago when tons of baby boomers with houses paid off and flush with cash bought the cars they COULDN'T have when they were young. Heres a couple examples, I am very into 2nd gen transams, a 73 or 74 T/A SD 455 would bring 60-120K a while back, now they languish on Ebay for 45K and never seem to sell. A numbers matching1965 425 hp BBC 4 speed Vette with 33,000 miles sold for 31,000
1965 Chevrolet Corvette - Repocast.com®
a 1970 AAR 340 6 pack Cuda sold for 30,000
I would have though these cars would fetch at least 1.5X what they did but again, I been watching 73/74 SD T/A's for years and they have been steadily going down, old boats are somewhat of a liability, you have to store it and keep it from rotting away,if you get sick of a bb vette you could always firesale it and it will be gone immediately, get sick of a 1979 42 ft Cougar and it might tale 3 years to sell it even for 1/2 of what you would think its worth, Smitty
Yes you are quite right pricess for a restored muscle goes down but Supercars and Racecars ( take into account the running cost's of a Porsche 917/Ferrari 512...) are still high and dry and the same can be said of unrestored survivors. Also correct on the boat part.. an old raceboat is just that old and uncompetitive mainly these days ( unless you run true offshore with speeds way under 100mph like Venture Cup and Cowes and Race it like Cinzano for example and the expenses follows)... Runnign a Offshore raceboat has never been cheap... or something for the average JOE despite how thick your wallet is and it's gotta be thick.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Cary 29
. The true history is amazing of this hobby. The masses can enjoy cars but that is good also. It is unbelieveable though to own a boat that is one of maybe 6 boats and not have many people understand its true significance.
Well said!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I know the heading of this thread is offshore boats but if you don't have the room no one said you have to go big on race boats.
This is my Biesemeyer Wrangler 4 pt hydro, drag boat.

and this year's

Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to these old boats and the money needed I keep telling my self ((( Its for the love of the game )))
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Lens mag marine
When it comes to these old boats and the money needed I keep telling my self ((( Its for the love of the game )))
That is well said, " love of the game"

I have a classic 1988 Scorpion offshore 38. It is a real deal race boat from the day. It gets your heart pumping every time it gets fired up or taken out for a run.
These offshore classic race boats have great lines and are thing of beauty. They are very impressive at the boat ramp till a 2014 Cigarette pulls up then suddenly the age lines start showing brightly on the old school sweetheart!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Registered

I think that people who are looking for an old race boat, because they want something different and unique, as all of them are different, not a cookie cutter dealer floor model
Old 08-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cary 29
I agree with all that has been said. Only a handful of special men have truly enjoyed and been enpassioned with these boats. They are costly hard to really use for the average guy. A lot of work.time. etc... However that is what makes us appreciate what we have. The true history is amazing of this hobby. The masses can enjoy cars but that is good also. It is unbelieveable though to own a boat that is one of maybe 6 boats and not have many people understand its true significance.
However that is what makes us appreciate what we have. The true history is amazing of this hobby

not have many people understand its true significance.....Well said....