Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1986 Wellcraft SCARAB Panther  MINT UNRESTORED  ,ADVICE... >

1986 Wellcraft SCARAB Panther MINT UNRESTORED ,ADVICE...

Notices

1986 Wellcraft SCARAB Panther MINT UNRESTORED ,ADVICE...

Old 01-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxxxxx1
I took some photos of the Wellcraft Scarab Panther today and wanted to post a couple of pics on this thread,
The inside photos are at the marina where it has been stored for 29 years!
(please excuse the sideways pic!)

wishing all a great Holiday week and Happy New Year!
I've always liked the way the Scarab Panther looks. With the fairing and notched transom. The overall lines are very cool looking. Enjoy your boat.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,210 Likes on 582 Posts

I took some photos of the Wellcraft Scarab Panther today and wanted to post a couple of pics on this thread,
The inside photos are at the marina where it has been stored for 29 years!
(please excuse the sideways pic!)

wishing all a great Holiday week and Happy New Year!
I remember those colors... Great looking boat, enjoy!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549301[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1986 Wellcraft SCARAB Panther  MINT UNRESTORED  ,ADVICE...-newold.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

Great looking boat!
It'd be cool if us 30ft scarab guys could get together sometime.
Little off topic, Rookie, did you ever put blowers on your motors? I've gotta get hydro steering next, but blowers seem to be calling me...
Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hblair
Little off topic, Rookie, did you ever put blowers on your motors? I've gotta get hydro steering next, but blowers seem to be calling me...
No, the engines just have ran so good for the last few years that I haven't had any reason to put them on. Plus, my Panther has been consistently running upper 70's/80mph every time out. I can hang with most boats that I go out with. Also, I've been eyeing another project that I want to pull the trigger on.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered
Gold Member

That would be cool to have a bunch of Scarabs together, welcoming of all types of Scarab models!
.I am located in South Florida so the weather is good anytime for a get together.

In response to hblair's comment...I cannot imagine blowers on a 30' scarab ! ! ! ! !
Honestly, yesterday was the first time I have ever had the Panther out since it was purchased. It was a really great time!!!
I was really impressed how it handles and it gets on plane with little effort. I did not need to use any trim tabs to quickly get on plane.
Good power and great sounding thru hull exhaust. (it has the 330 hp 454's with TRS drives)The Panther just cuts right through the light chop with confidence!
I must say the original Morse throttles take a little getting used to in tight maneuvering, the throttles seem to take more concentration to use compared to Gaffrig or a modern twin engine throttle set up.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this website that shares an interest in off shore boating, especially the old school variety.

I run across a lot of people that like to talk about old school boats, but it nice to know people that are actually into boating..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549337[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1986 Wellcraft SCARAB Panther  MINT UNRESTORED  ,ADVICE...-img_0923.jpg  

Last edited by xxxxxxx1; 01-04-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Boat, as a former Scarab owner you will enjoy it, I also store at Palm Beach Yacht Center, and watched you come in Saturday, I now have 29 Shockwave- rack "B-52, See you out there !, I owned my Scarab III for 11 years 3- different engine combos, I know a lot of Scarab History,,,I will have to check your out soon!..Dave

Last edited by Scarab3DMC; 01-04-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Glad you're boats running so well xxxxxx1. I couldn't imagine one of these boats without thru hull exhaust. Would be sacrilege. Your boat is awesome.

Rookie, nice speed. I just ordered a used hydro steering setup. I haven't been able to go full throttle since I upgraded the engines a few months ago. It is too scary, but I don't see me reaching 78-80. How much hp do you think your turning? What kinda motors are you running? Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

In response to hblair's comment...I cannot imagine blowers on a 30' scarab ! ! ! ! !
Honestly, yesterday was the first time I have ever had the Panther out since it was purchased. It was a really great time!!!
I was really impressed how it handles and it gets on plane with little effort. I did not need to use any trim tabs to quickly get on plane.
Originally Posted by hblair
Rookie, nice speed. I just ordered a used hydro steering setup. I haven't been able to go full throttle since I upgraded the engines a few months ago. It is too scary, but I don't see me reaching 78-80. How much hp do you think your turning? What kinda motors are you running? Thanks
As I have stated before in a few different threads. Hydraulic steering is the best thing I have ever done to my Panther or (any boat for that matter). I originally had Drew Marine Sidewinders on my boat. Great product! 72mph and it was a boat you had to drive. I then removed them and had nothing. My boat felt like a death trap at 60mph. I then added Full helm back hydraulic steering. I can go up under my cuddy and vacuum at full speed and not worry. It is unreal the difference. I believe I lost 1-2mph when adding hyd steering. The boat prior would chine walking and porpoise so much that only 1/3 of the running surface was probably in the water.

hblair, I think I'm around 550+/-. I have built 454's, custom Valako heads and cam. My full Panther build is in the Restorations and Upgrade forum.

xxxxxxx1, Enjoy the boat, They are Great!

Last edited by Rookie; 01-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the info rookie. Sounds like you've got those 454's dialed in. I'm looking forward to the hydraulic steering. I'm tired of the high speed veering and no input turns.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
Nice Boat, as a former Scarab owner you will enjoy it, I also store at Palm Beach Yacht Center, and watched you come in Saturday, I now have 29 Shockwave- rack "B-52, See you out there !, I owned my Scarab III for 11 years 3- different engine combos, I know a lot of Scarab History,,,I will have to check your out soon!..Dave
Thanks for the positive feedback on the Panther folks, just out there trying to live the boating dream.

Dave , I cant believe your boat is racked right above the 86 Panther at the Marina...what a small world!
I noticed above your 29 Shockwave yesterday and I must say it is bad ass and it looks immaculate!!!! What year is that bad boy? it looks brand new!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549413[/ATTACH]

notice the #52 right above the boat !
Attached Thumbnails 1986 Wellcraft SCARAB Panther  MINT UNRESTORED  ,ADVICE...-img_1004.jpg  

Last edited by xxxxxxx1; 01-06-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.