Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What 36 cigarette do I have? Help please. >

What 36 cigarette do I have? Help please.

Notices

What 36 cigarette do I have? Help please.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Bill I believe he know it's a wide body, he looking for origins of ownership and it's use thru the years.........the refit has been (is) documented in the Cigarette section.
With all respect , if that's the case then the subject should not have been 'What 36 Cigarette do I have ?' but 'Who's 36 Cigarette do I have ?'

And BTW , I'd take that over anything made today .
Old 08-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
How are the holes cut in the transom close together or far apart ?
we haven't taken the engines out yet and the guy i bought it from rebuilt the transom and recut the holes. The driveline is now on 36" centers vs most are on 33", he had to do this to fit the engines in so the headers don't touch. Here are some pictures of what i currently have . Once we derig it I will get pictures of the transom if it shows us anything.

I dont think it ever had side exhaust or was set up in a staggered configuration. I wish it was but after almost 6 years of looking for a staggered boat i settled on this side by side.

Last edited by Ironmanwb; 08-19-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
With all respect , if that's the case then the subject should not have been 'What 36 Cigarette do I have ?' but 'Who's 36 Cigarette do I have ?'

And BTW , I'd take that over anything made today .
Sorry for the confusion.

And the only thing keeping me sane is that I keep looking at other boats and I still have yet to find one that I like more!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

"What 36 do you have?"..... an awesome one! Keep plugging away!
Old 08-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

There were a few side by sides that were not officially "Race Boats," but were actually raced in local races, especially in the South Florida area.

Here is a photo of Don's boat..... that he raced in some of the local races..... and this was a 36 side by side.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana

There were a few side by sides that were not officially "Race Boats," but were actually raced in local races, especially in the South Florida area.

Here is a photo of Don's boat..... that he raced in some of the local races..... and this was a 36 side by side.

Thank you please send more pictures of whatever you have.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Charley That's great photo of Don ....who are the others aboard?......Also, that 36' (and I can't be sure from the photo) doesn't look like a race version 36, but a stock 36'
Besides the race engines and drives in his boats, Did Don fabricate a lighter race hull primarily for some or all of his races?.........Also, in the photo on the port side hull is
"A stables" would that stand for "Aronow stables" ?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
Charley That's great photo of Don ....who are the others aboard?......Also, that 36' (and I can't be sure from the photo) doesn't look like a race version 36, but a stock 36'
Besides the race engines and drives in his boats, Did Don fabricate a lighter race hull primarily for some or all of his races?.........Also, in the photo on the port side hull is
"A stables" would that stand for "Aronow stables" ?
Ok the local club races were held by places like the Jockey Club in Miami.

Jim Wynne the 1966 World Champion of Offshore and Barry Cordingley, who was the navigator for Don when he raced his 32 foot Cary The Cigarette in the Bahamas 500 along with Knocky House. So, the three on board were not amateurs by any stretch of the imagination, but the other competitors liked it when they raced so they could tell their friends that they were in a race with.....Fill in the blanks.

Don won this race and coming second in another 36 foot "Pleasure version" was none other than Gene Lanham...He was Doc Magoon's throttleman.

These were "Stock 36's" but they had some missing things like not much of a finished cabin. Were they lighter.? This was before Kevlar, so some layups probably were.... but there was still a lot of guys that really used their boats for trip to the Bahamas for diving etc. No one wanted a hull that was too light just in case.

A Stables..... were the Aronow Stables in Ocala.... that were run by Don's eldest son Michael, and they produced a lot of wining horses out of them
Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Registered

Here is another photo from that day with Barry, Don and Jim left to right after the race was over.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Registered

Photos are from my book BLUE WATER WARRIORS

A lot of photos that have never been seen before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.