Notices

WTB-Cary 28

Old 08-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thx speicher lane. Here come 9 more posts, and maybe I can make them relative, but it’ll most likely sound like typical internet advertising dribble where they provide you continuous tidbits to keep you reading;-) Post 2

I bought the boat from the really cool TowBoat US guy in Savannah, after he posted it on the Blackfin Forums, where I’m a member and a Blackfin owner. I can’t recall how he came across it after the guy near Savannah bought it from Jim, but the boat was the unfortunate victim of basically sinking by filling to the floorboards/scuppers on the trailer, while in long term storage with a cover that became compromised. It apparently sat like that, unnoticed for quite some time as the engines were ruined. It was sold/purchased with this full disclosure, hence the low price referenced in this thread. It came down significantly lower to where I had to buy it.

Last edited by reidp; 08-22-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Registered

Post 3: The nice tandem axle trailer that I believe Jim possibly put under it did not convey, but nonetheless came with the current and decent triple axle trailer which just needs a little work.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:53 AM
Registered

Post 4: We immediately pulled the the corroded 1992 454s and assessed and removed what marine conversion pieces we might need that weren’t compromised. We had an existing set of 1970-71 vintage 427 Crusader 320hp freshly rebuilt just sitting, originally for another project, a 1969 Chris Craft Commander 31, but that boat by now had some newer 454 TBI’s from another Blackfin I’d had. So the 427s just needed a home and this was a natural. We just swapped over some cooling system parts for a more plug-n-play installation.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:02 AM
Registered

Post 5: The 1992 swap to 454 Crusaders from original 440 Chryslers resulted in some 4” to 3” to 4” exhaust plumbing so we replaced the entire exhaust system including the mufflers, which ironically are still made identically. While I’m not complaining, she is rather quiet, but my very pro-boat wife bought into this unique and extra roomy boat as our version of a Lake Norman pontoon. We’ve been classic boaters for 30+ yrs. The boat will spend the majority of her, or my, remaining years here on fresh water Lake Norman in Mooresville, NC, with the occasional trips to the NC inner banks.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Registered

Post 6: Installed new Lenco electric trim tabs. Original Bennett parts spent too much time submerged. Also original tabs extended outside of chine-line because of the radius of the transom, which had me scratching my head and trying to imagine the extra drag and spray esp from the 90° turn-downs on the edges when deployed.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:11 AM
Registered

Post 7 Cary 28: For the past few years before my purchasing she apparently sat outside without a top, just maybe the large bimini, and the result was the abundant teak taking a beating. We removed what we could easily remove, including all of the strips surrounding the inside of the aft cockpit, and refinished it and other teak in-place. Looks great now. Also added teak pieces around the helm to cover up previous penetrations no longer needed. We’ve got a few more pieces we still may replace.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Registered

Post 8 Cary 28: In the cabin we replaced the original hull-liner ceiling carpet along with the side panels. All of the original teal vinyl upholstery was professionally cleaned and still looks unbelievably remarkable. (And I’m assuming it’s original as it still has the old mfr’rs tags on them). We plan to borrow or re-purpose back sides of several cushions to create forward combing pads as was an original option, and will hope to cover some less than attractive repainted and worn surfaces. The hull was repainted sometime before Jim bought the boat as he told me in a conversation last year. The paint job was very well done and has held up well but they did paint over several thru-hull fittings which I’ll clean up later. And where moist cushions sat on the paint for the extended period it naturally did some damage. We had the floor panels repainted with non-skid as had been done before so unfortunately the original plank molded look in the gelcoat is long gone,

Last edited by reidp; 08-22-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Wrong text
Old 08-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Registered

Post 9 Cary 28: Replaced the entire steering system as any parts under the floor were corroded, and plus it was 48 yrs old. Surprised it was original cable but we went with what matched with input from the mfr. Apparently the steering wheel was replaced from what’s shown above as we got it with a 3 spoke black rubber grip, which we may be replacing, not sure. Steers great now but we’ve not put her thru her paces yet, only idling around last Saturday during a soft launch and engine cooling test, as we’d never seen her in the water yet, and only run from the hose n bucket. First run last week was with no interior to allow for access to engines/systems etc.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Registered

Post 10 Cary 28, whew! I plan to re-launch in the coming hours, with most all interior parts reinstalled except for the front built-in seats which are still out for painting. The complicated four-piece engine boxes are now back in as well, and helm box bolted back down as last week we had it securely balanced with ratchet straps fore and aft for testing. Cardboard on the floor is obviously protecting the new finish until all testing is complete. We also replaced the badly worn clear acrylic covers over the engine gauges and port-side cooler?? with classic tinted acrylic. Maybe I can now post a few pics.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:59 AM
Registered

i’ll post up more pictures as the progress continues, and maybe some running footage from today if we’re lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.