Notices

WTB-Cary 28

Old 08-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

VERY cool boat!... and great to see in it's period correct form!
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I always wondered where that went after Jim sold it . Thanks for keeping us informed and I look forward to seeing more.
That boat is just off the scale in terms of classic originals from the beginning/early days .
Can't help but be reminded of the Magnum 40 hull every time I see one of those .
Lucky guy ! !
Old 08-23-2020, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ran her again yesterday and today. I’m most always optimistic but try to remain realistic as well when so often dealing with these older boats and vintage engines. The boat performed great, while the engines, props, and fuel system still need further attention. Port would only turn 3500 and Stbd 3700 with what I believe are the original 1972 factory 16x20.5” wheels, but this still made 37.5 mph. I’m sure these stock 427s are down slightly to the 1992 carbed 454s that it last ran 44-45 mph per a conversation with Jim, but I didn’t think it’d be off quite this much, so it looks like we’ll need to lose at least and inch or two of pitch. Plus we’re now losing fuel prime on the port engine which the factory supplied electric fuel pump won’t overcome if she sits for an hour, so any input on that issue would be appreciated. I’ve got 40 gal of fuel in the single 125-130 gal tank. The stbd engines pulls fuel fine and the pumps are both brand new.

In the video below of her running around 30-35 mph, I was pleased to see her carry the bow as high as she does, as later Blackfin versions had hook added to the bottom, I guess to make it act more like a fishing boat. And for the second time since install several months ago, one of the tabs refuses to work. It’s in the switch assembly and not the actuator and I had even previously received an RMA from Lenco to send it back and then it started working again. But I believe the tabs will be used mostly for weight distribution as she planes off incredibly easy. The boat certainly looks a bit more sporty or racey with the bimini folded forward, and definitely makes it easy to picture this hull as the race boat it originally was.

Last edited by reidp; 08-24-2020 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add video. Correct typos
Old 08-23-2020, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Few more pics and video.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (4.65 MB, 106 views)
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (4.65 MB, 46 views)

Last edited by reidp; 08-23-2020 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Text corrections
Old 08-24-2020, 01:53 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts

Fantastic update. Congrats to a classic beauty that was pretty much a step above anything else quality-wise when she was new. Glad she found a great home. Enjoy!