Notices

Betty Cook Era

Old 05-24-2022, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought he might be gone. That's a real shame - He seemed quite a character. Much appreciate the update.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:43 PM
Registered

Hi - I just typed a response on my phone and it went to a moderator but my laptop allows me to reply so apologies if this is a duplication.

I don't think you are being rude at all. Honestly, and I know anything about a documentary - but it's great that someone is making it. I'm not related to that at all.
I'm actually a writer from the UK - Betty was pretty popular here and I know people who remember the Cowes-Torquay race - that's how the subject came up. So I'm just doing to research to establish of there is a story worth telling - I know a fair bit about Betty already (albeit nowhere near enough yet) and she's an incredible woman.
I'm not sure if I will write anything at this point - I want to know more about the people around her because if I do write something (and I haven't agreed to yet) then for me, it is vital to get the facts right and represent those people fairly. All of the people I mentioned (and of course others) have a legacy that should be respected. But there is lack of info online about them and the people they were etc... They all were amazing support to Betty and formed one hell of a team - if I do write something, it would be wrong to misrepresent them - I cannot stand when people get this stuff wrong on film or in books so I'd like to ensure I can get it write - again IF I write this.
Unfortunately there are no books or memoires from them, so the collective memory of an amazing community like this is really helpful.
Honest, I'm no threat - I'm, actually trying to do this the right way around - so my sincere apologies of I touched a raw nerve or offended anyone - I'm genuinely trying to do this the right way. Because I am doing this informally at the moment, it's not really for me to say who I am talking to, you can take my word or not that I am - either way I mean no harm at all. It would be wrong of me to say that on a public forum until I agree to write something.

When I have a good picture of the people (and probably others I've missed) and if I agree to write something - I absolutely will take up anyone on their offer to talk about Betty or anyone else, especially relatives (I wasn't trying to fob anyone off, I'm just looking for the other people around Betty at the moment) - of course. but I'm not there yet! I'm still trying to work out who is alive etc.. It's very early days and I'm still doing the basics.

Sorry if that seems in some way mysterious - that's not my intention - I'm just keeping things confidential for now so I don't upset anyone!

I'm also genuinely sorry of you get swamped by people asking questions - that must be irritating. If you'd rather I dropped off the forum I am happy to, but I was just hoping for a little direction, not to get in anyone's face or upset anyone - the problem is, the more I read and the more I know, the more fascinating these people are and the more I want to know. I'm a writer and writers are fascinated by people.

Having such a community is amazing so my apologies if my note has trod on any toes! If you have any info that can help - thank you, but please don't feel obliged at all and thank you for everyone who has been so kind as to reply. I totally understand if you'd rather not respond, I genuinely do not want to tread on any toes or offend anyone and I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time.

Warm regards, David

David
Old 05-24-2022, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by David J. Keogh
Thank you!.I'm.actually trying to find people who knew (or knows if alive) John Connor, Don Holloway or Bill Vogel Jnr.

I'm doing a bit of research imto all these amazing characters. They achieved incredible things together!

David
Apologies, I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't interested in Betty- I will def have some questions once I've established what those questions are - I'm still trying to work out who everyone is and what they did etc... Thanks for responding - I'd love to chat once I'm ready - thank you so much.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:27 AM
Registered

Top Banana - Happy to chat privately - I can't message you on here yet though as not active enough!

Last edited by David J. Keogh; 05-25-2022 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Fprgotm to copy in original message so they know who I am replying to
Old 05-26-2022, 01:29 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts

The best thing would be to talk to John Connor if he's willing. Connor Marine Engineering Inc

I did a search "Betty Cook" and she showed up 492 times on our forum. Lots to read in those posts.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...archid=2711511

More Betty;

Betty's childhood home: 15 Stoddard Avenue, Glens Falls, New York.

Betty Jean Young was born on February 4, 1923, possibly in Texas. She grew up in Glens Falls, N.Y., where she danced ballet from the age of 5. She earned a political science degree at Boston University and was an Honors Graduate from MIT. She put her husband Paul through college while she worked in MIT's nuclear science lab, then at Stanford Research Institute. She also participated in the presidential campaigns of John F. and Robert Kennedy. The Cooks' adopted two sons, Eugene and Gavin. Paul Cook started Rachem Corp. in the Bay Area and the Cooks became an enormously wealthy family. Next Betty became a world champion offshore powerboat racer. She won 17 races, 2 World Championships in 1977 and 1979, and was U.S. Champion in 1978, 1979, and 1981. Betty was the first woman to win the powerboat world championship in what had been traditionally a male-only sport. “Where is everybody?” Betty Cook asked when she became the new open-class world champion. The next boat didn’t arrive for 21 minutes. Her boats were named “KAAMA" for a female African antelope. She was early on dismissed as a wealthy and bored housewife, but the boys would quickly learn that Betty was tough as nails. She came in a 5'4" 115lbs small package, but like dynamite, she would break new ground, mostly in her Larry Smith designed and built Team Scarab boats.

Betty passed away, due to cancer, in Newport Beach, California, in December 1990.

May She Rest In Peace.

Good interview in Sports Illustrated 1980; Sports Illustrated

An interview:

Racing:

Last edited by larslindroth; 05-26-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:25 AM
Registered

Default Bill Vogel, a California offshore racing legend.

Hi everyone - I'm doing some research on Betty Cook (powerboat champion from the 70's) for some of her family and was wondering if any one can help point me in the right direction of people who knew the following (or if any of them are still alive - I know most are not)). Family or friends, anyone who knew them and can help me get to know their characters better.
It's before the era of the internet so naturally it's a little difficult to get all the information!

I'm looking for:

Don Holloway (Navigator - it's hard to fund out anything about him)
John Connor (Throttleman - is he still alive?)
Don Pruitt (Throttleman who I think taught her to race)
Bill Vogel Jnr. (Navigator/I think)
James Beard (Boat designer from the UK - Cougar)

It would be amazing if anyone were able to help me. I'm happy to contact them myself if I can find them on Facebook or by phone/email etc but it's really hard trying to track anyone down and I was hoping the experts in here may be able to help me!

Thank you in advance.

David
Mr. Vogel is possible to reach at his successful company, Vogel Properties Inc., Walnut, CA.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/wdvogel/

Bill left, Rocki "Benihana" Aoki center, Errol Lanier right.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:44 AM
Registered

Thank you so much larslindroth - I love those photos and glad to hear Bill V is still with us!
Like so many people in here, you must have a real passion for this stuff - I'm in awe of everyone, racers, engineers, designers - so many great stories.

Thank you again - very kind and much appreciated.

Warm regards, David
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (05-27-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi - I just typed a response on my phone and it went to a moderator but my laptop allows me to reply so apologies if this is a duplication.

I don't think you are being rude at all. Honestly, and I know anything about a documentary - but it's great that someone is making it. I'm not related to that at all.
I'm actually a writer from the UK - Betty was pretty popular here and I know people who remember the Cowes-Torquay race - that's how the subject came up. So I'm just doing to research to establish of there is a story worth telling - I know a fair bit about Betty already (albeit nowhere near enough yet) and she's an incredible woman.
I'm not sure if I will write anything at this point - I want to know more about the people around her because if I do write something (and I haven't agreed to yet) then for me, it is vital to get the facts right and represent those people fairly. All of the people I mentioned (and of course others) have a legacy that should be respected. But there is lack of info online about them and the people they were etc... They all were amazing support to Betty and formed one hell of a team - if I do write something, it would be wrong to misrepresent them - I cannot stand when people get this stuff wrong on film or in books so I'd like to ensure I can get it write - again IF I write this.
Unfortunately there are no books or memoires from them, so the collective memory of an amazing community like this is really helpful.
Honest, I'm no threat - I'm, actually trying to do this the right way around - so my sincere apologies of I touched a raw nerve or offended anyone - I'm genuinely trying to do this the right way. Because I am doing this informally at the moment, it's not really for me to say who I am talking to, you can take my word or not that I am - either way I mean no harm at all. It would be wrong of me to say that on a public forum until I agree to write something.

When I have a good picture of the people (and probably others I've missed) and if I agree to write something - I absolutely will take up anyone on their offer to talk about Betty or anyone else, especially relatives (I wasn't trying to fob anyone off, I'm just looking for the other people around Betty at the moment) - of course. but I'm not there yet! I'm still trying to work out who is alive etc.. It's very early days and I'm still doing the basics.

Sorry if that seems in some way mysterious - that's not my intention - I'm just keeping things confidential for now so I don't upset anyone!

I'm also genuinely sorry of you get swamped by people asking questions - that must be irritating. If you'd rather I dropped off the forum I am happy to, but I was just hoping for a little direction, not to get in anyone's face or upset anyone - the problem is, the more I read and the more I know, the more fascinating these people are and the more I want to know. I'm a writer and writers are fascinated by people.

Having such a community is amazing so my apologies if my note has trod on any toes! If you have any info that can help - thank you, but please don't feel obliged at all and thank you for everyone who has been so kind as to reply. I totally understand if you'd rather not respond, I genuinely do not want to tread on any toes or offend anyone and I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time.

Warm regards, David

David
David

Thanks for the reply and yes, there are still many people who are alive and can help with this project of yours.

I was in Cowes in 2017 with Richie Powers, we were made honorary members of the Dry Martini boat team. We had a great time and have a great deal of respect for the English Offshore Racers.

The Toll family from Poole, have been restoring a few of the old race boats and Ian Toll, has recently launched his clone of the 36 foot Cigarette KAAMA that Betty won the Cowes - Torquay race back in the 70's.

They might be a good place to start as they already have a lot of documentation on the races of the era, that she competed in.

Looking forward to helping keep my old friend Betty's name alive. She truly was one tough racer, who just happened to be a woman.

Charlie
The following 2 users liked this post by Top Banana:
hblair (05-26-2022), larslindroth (05-27-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Registered

Thanks Charlie, that's really kind - we just managed to get hold of the Tolls actually so good timing - we are hoping to speak to them this/next week.

I did manage to speak with John Connor - he's a lovely guy (and also helping with the documentary too, which is nice). He seems to have lost contact with Don Holloway and Bill Vogel too in recent years - Bill I think I can track down through his company - Don is proving more elusive! I did find out Don and Betty didn't see eye to eye at the end when he worked there (they remained cordial still) but that was the reason he moved on from their successful partnership - but without speaking to him it's hard to know why - they had another navigator for a year, but then Bill V joined them and fit in to the team like a new glove!

The one who is most elusive however, is James Beard - finding anyone who knew James is harder I guess as he died so young and didn't appear to have any family I can find - yet! We know Steve Curtis at Cougar (son of Clive) so hopefully he can point us somewhere, but if you or anyone else has any clues...).

And I absolutely want to keep Betty's story alive - everyone talks very highly of her although it is difficult getting to know her as a person as she seemed to be a slightly different person to everyone she interacted with - I'm not sure how close anyone really was to her - but lots of people have positive stories and lots of people met her and are happy to char about her, so I have a fair sense of her.

I've done a lot of the research now but I really do appreciate the help from you and others and I promise, if this happens, I will do my best to ensure accuracy all the way! I'm not a Hollywood type writer! (Having seen Speed Kills recently, I'll steer clear of that type of writing and film making for sure!).

Mind you, life would be so much easier if we had the internet in the 70's.... ha ha ha. Ah well, research is part of the fun I suppose.

Hope you are well and have a great week.

David

P.S. To you and everyone else - Thanks for making me feel so welcome in here. Loving the camaraderie in here on most threads!
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (06-02-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 02:30 PM
Registered

Erik Nordskog, grandson of the late powerboat racing legend Bob Nordskog is the custodian of some of Betty Cook's personal media. This footage was shared by Erik a little less than a year ago.

He's a very multi-talented, and kind soul.

P.S. Dear David, I wish you the utmost joy in your writing. D.S.

Last edited by larslindroth; 09-06-2022 at 05:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by larslindroth:
1983ScarabIII (09-06-2022), TexomaPowerboater (09-08-2022), ThisIsLivin (09-19-2022)