I think ECM- help >

I think ECM- help

Notices

I think ECM- help

Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think ECM- help

I have a 98 cobalt 252 7.4 mpi Volvo . Ran great until the other day. Shut the boat of and now it wont run. It has spark, seems the computer is not allowing fuel. I was told I need an ECM. But I cant find one. Does anyone have a source.

Is this a common problem...
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered

ECUs hardly ever go bad, check fuel pressure, and your deadman switch (tether on your control), check the breakers & or fuses on the motor. I can get an ECU if you need one, but I bet that is not your problem. I have to head out for a race in San Diego this weekend later tonight. I will be back Monday night, call me on Tuesday if you have not figured it out.
Brad
530-525-1638

Last edited by Brad Johnson; 09-16-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: no contact info
Old 07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Registered

Its been a while but I am still having this issue. I was not getting the 12volt to the fuel pump relay. So I jumped the 12 volt to the relay and it ran great for about an hour, then stalled. When I restarted the she jumped to three thousand RPM and stayed. I have replaced the oil pressure sender and re-fastened all the grounds.

I have a hard time believing its the ecu. It has to be something silly.

Any help on this would be great.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your breakers, there should be one hidden down by the low pressure fuel pump, and I think 3 right on the front of the engine... I had a very similar problem (I have the 7.4gi in a 99 232 Cobalt), and what happened was the lower pressure pump went bad and tripped the breaker which also controls the ignition. I did end up replacing the fuel pump and it runs fine now. If you don't get anymore help here check the Volvo forum on www.iboats.com and post there, there are a lot of Volvo guys on there that have helped me out in the past.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Thanks I am back into this project. My work does not allow me any free time during the summer. So now I can jump back into this.

I will check the relays and replace the low pressure pump.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered

As crazy as this sounds, I am still trying to fix this. I have replaced the relays and both fuel pumps. Today I borrowed a scanner from a friend and I get code 43. Electronic spark control malfunction.

Any info would be great.....Thanks