Stepped hull or not??

Notices

Stepped hull or not??

Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 AM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stepped hull or not??

Just reaching out and looking for different opinions? Is having a stepped hull on the 30 a must? Would you pass up older 30's priced less for a newer stepped hull?
I understand it rides better, but don't think it's insanely faster, but could be wrong?
Please share your thoughts?
Old 11-03-2015, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Pretty sure there's about a 10 mph top end difference. That's quite a bit. So if top end is a priority ..........
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Pretty sure there's about a 10 mph top end difference. That's quite a bit. So if top end is a priority ..........
No way. If that were the case the 30 step CC would be running in the 80's.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I thought most single stepped hulls were good for about 4-5 mph over their straight bottom counterparts.

I'm on my first stepped hull and it's not a fast boat compared to many here but the handling issue is of no concern to me. Conditions here aren't great for high speed running, too rough most days, but when weather permits, I'll run her flat out. I follow the recommendations in the owners manual for trim and tab settings and don't attempt crazy high speed turns, there's really no point. Never had an issue and the boat feels super tight handling sensible turns.

All that said, would I always buy a stepped over non-stepped hull? Probably not. The steps will provide a bit of extra top end but how much time does anyone spend at WOT? Is it worth paying the extra? IMO, only if you want bragging rights to the faster boat.

In the op's case, I think your choice is more a case of paying extra for a newer boat rather than the step. Don't let the step make the decision, consider everything else about the boat, balance your money and treat the step as a bonus if you go down that path.

RR
Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I always thought at cruise steps make the boat more efficient. That's where most spend the time anyway.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I may be wrong but I thought they do 3/5 of bugger all until you hit mid-high forties. @ Wildman above, I guess that is cruise speed for many of us.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 11-03-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Originally Posted by showtime83
No way. If that were the case the 30 step CC would be running in the 80's.
I admit that I'm going by what I've heard and read. Boats are coming with more steps now and steps all the way to the bow. The single OL I think has 5 steps. New Sunnys have the steps all the way to the front. The newer Cigs make the straight bottom models look slow. Seems like there is a 10 mph difference at least. Maybe CCs are different animals or maybe I'm just wrong!! My little Donzi is stepless but it only rides on the last two feet of hull.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know that I would pass up a non-stepped 30 for a stepped-hull 30. However, it depends upon what you plan on doing with the boat. Most center console owners are more concerned about cruise speed and the ride in rougher water, rather than pure top-end performance. A little tab and a bit off throttle eliminates any porpoising in smooth water. Just my opinion though....
Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the straight scoop right from the source at Concept. Ask Susan Petterson why they went to a stepped hull. Her mobile is 941-650-5001 or email [email protected].
Old 01-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Matt said (showtime83), there is no way there is a 10 mph difference in stepped to non-stepped. The reason, as I understand it, Concept went with a stepped hull on the 30 was to counter the porpoise issue with heavier 4 stroke OB motors. My 30 has twin 225 Optis, so does Showtime 83s neither of us have the porpoise issue because we have lighter 2 stroke motors. Mine runs 65 MPH (GPS) and Showtimes is a little bit faster due to Sportmaster lowers and different bracket (motor height).

If shopping for a Concept 30, if buying straight hull I would buy with 2 strokes. I would only go 4 strokes on the newer stepped hull (because I love my 2 Strokes, personally I would not buy a Verado boat. But again, I just love the ultra low maintenance of my high winding 4 stroke motors)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.