Notices

home made tools that work

Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made tools that work

Heres a few tools i made over the years.After our wreck in 2001 i found couldnt lift a bravo anymore,left arm just wasnt much good anymore,so i made a little gadget to bolt on the top cover,just scrap from around the shop but now i could pick it up with the cherry picker and move it a around.later i found the picker was to hard to get back in the shop with a drive on the end of it so i made this two wheel cart to fit the hight of my drive,now i could slide the drive onto the cart and take it anyware very easy,again made out of scrap around the shop.Made a drive stand out of some old pipe and 2x2 bedrails i found along the road, used it since 1990 didnt cost anymore than the welding rod.We always pulled our engs outside the shop so then we had to pick them up with the picker and get them in the eng stand inside,a real pain.My wife works at the hospital and came home one night with this 4 wheel cart they thrue out because it got rusty and wanted to know if i had a use for it,with a little changing i had my cart to move an eng.inside.When we were racing i had extra engs on the floor so i built these rolling stands out of old trailer axils so i could test run them or just roll them out of the way.Well this thread is suppose to be about home made tools and ideas so these are mine.
Attached Thumbnails home made tools that work-dav.-010.jpg   home made tools that work-dav.-006.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-001.jpg  

Old 12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default The rest

Heres the rest
Attached Thumbnails home made tools that work-tools-005.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-003.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-004.jpg  

Old 12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Mel!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default couple more

A drive storage stand so there not laying on the shop floor to stumble over.My shop is 32ft long and my boat on the trailer is 35ft so when hurricain charlly hit in 03 i had to let her sit out in the open,enough stuff flying around at over 100mph that it messed the paint up real good.When wilma came thrue in 05 i was ready,i made a removable tunge that takes about 5min. to remove and makes it 32ft.and i had her inside.
Attached Thumbnails home made tools that work-dav.-009.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-008.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-007.jpg  

Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a Wilton C1 vise on a home made 316 stainless receiver mount for all that dirty metal work you want to do outside. Great mobile tool! Yes, it clears the tailgate when opened.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 05-31-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll take a picture tonight of a gimbal bearing installation tool that we made from a bearing race from a TRS, flat steel plate from an axle u-bolt, Alpha shift shaft seal assembly and a 1 ft. X 3/4" threaded bolt!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

I'll also post a picture of a special socket I made for removing the shift cable on an Alpha drive.... Basically, it's a deep impact sockect that's been milled down to fit inside the helmet! A standard 3/8 socket won't work because of the plastic guide that sticks out...and you have to put a vice grips on the end of the socket... This took me 15 minutes to make on a belt sander!

In addition....a snake I made that makes removing/installing shift cables 100% easier!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Homeade Gimbal Bearing Intall Tool

Here's the gimbal bearing installation tool... Part #: ST-101
Attached Thumbnails home made tools that work-tools-007-large-.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-008-large-.jpg  
Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Shift Cable Re-Installation Tool

Here's the quick and dirty shift cable installation tool....

Take an old shift cable.... remove the stainless steel rod that's threaded into the cable..... cut off the threaded end of the rod. Slide the small threaded piece on to the old inner shift calble....

When removing the old shift cable, dissasemble the barrel assembly and thread your homeade cable on to it. Then go outside the boat and pull the old cable out...

Next, unthread your cable tool from the old cable...remove the inner cable from your new shift cable and thread on your cable tool.... go back inside the boat and pull your new shift cable thru....

It'll save you quite a bit of headache having this special tool (snake).
Attached Thumbnails home made tools that work-tools-009-large-.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-010-large-.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-011-large-.jpg  

Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Alpha Shift cable removal tool'

A normal 3/8" socket is too short...

It's a deep impact socket, machined down to fit inside the Alpha Bell housing so the plastic bushing tube doesn't need to be removed...
Attached Thumbnails home made tools that work-tools-014-large-.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-012-large-.jpg   home made tools that work-tools-013-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: home made tools that work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.