Notices

Drilling out rivets?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling out rivets?

The little rubber bumpers on my engine hatch are in need of replacing and they're riveted in. I'm handy with a drill and all, even drilled out a rivet or two, but I don't want to mess this one up. I've got rivets and gun for replacement, or I might just use screws. But I'd like to have the option by not hogging out the holes.

So what's the best way?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I just redid mine. I drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a s.s screw. The little black bumper has a washer molded into it that i didn't know of. I replaced the black ones with larger white ones i found at the hardware store.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
The little rubber bumpers on my engine hatch are in need of replacing and they're riveted in. I'm handy with a drill and all, even drilled out a rivet or two, but I don't want to mess this one up. I've got rivets and gun for replacement, or I might just use screws. But I'd like to have the option by not hogging out the holes.

So what's the best way?

Use a little larger drill bit than the hole and brill only head of the rivet! Then use a punch to blow the tail out.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 454captiva
I replaced the black ones with larger white ones i found at the hardware store.
By any chance you have a picture or manufacturer/part number? The ones I find at Home Depot/ACE aren't totally white, more like a cream. And they seem like low-budget rubber. Just wondering if there's anything better out there.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The ones i found weren't exactly white either. They were a little thicker though. After time the black ones wore down so much they started to cut into the gelcoat on the mating surface below. I didn't want that to happen again so i went with the thicker material. No manufacturer or part # though. Just cheap bumpers i found at do it best. I would swap them out though if i could find some originals that weren't all deteriorated.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.mcmaster.com

Best place to buy this sort of specialty hardware.

For drilling rivets out...

Use 1/32" smaller drill than shank diameter of the rivet. I have some 1/16" red rubber sheeting I picked up at Lowe's in the plumbing department. They're like 6x6" squares. Anyway, I snip out a 2" square, drill a small hole in the center then duct tame a few plys over the whole top right over the rivet. That will keep it from marring if you slip. if it's a pop rivet and the shank is still visible, you can punch it down a little if the surface is solid. If you can get to it from behind, a dremel with a little cutoff wheel works great.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Thanks Chris. I checked Mcmaster and didn't see what I really want for a replacement: clear or white durable rubber. Everything I saw was either marring or black. But I noticed at the boat show last night that Formula still uses the same bumpers so I can just get OEM replacements or use the hardware store stuff.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually use a drill bit that is much larger then the rivet. Like a 1/2 incher. Then I drill off the head and then you can ussually drift them through easily. Some times you can drill off all the heads and seperate the parts then use a pair of flush cut dykes and cut them and push them through.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are pop rivets, use a very small diameter punch (or a small nail with the end ground flat) to drive the nail out, or at least below the level of the head. This will help keep the drill bit centered and avoid having to deal with the hardened nail. Use a drill bit with the same diameter as the rivet, but use light pressure, so the bit doesn't grab the rivet and make it spin. Once the head pops off, use a punch to knock the rivet body through the fiberglass.

If you don't knock the nail out first, you will ALWAYS have problems.