Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Hatch accuator accelerator help?? >

Hatch accuator accelerator help??

Notices

Hatch accuator accelerator help??

Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch accuator accelerator help??

Trying to install this on my Baja Hammer, can someone shine some light on this for me as the instructions suck!

I recieved the actuator accelerator from CPperformance, and need a little help because the instructions are not good at all. There are 4 wires coming out of the box, a red, a black, and two whites. Here are the instructions:
1. Red 14ga to 12v + (Battery or solenoid)
2. Black 14ga to ground
3. White 14ga wires to linear actuator
4. Terminal strip to SPDT switch outer terminals.
5. Center Terminal on switch to ground

I guess where I am confused is there are two wires that connect to the actuator now. Are they a positive and negative? Also it says terminal strip, there are only two terminals, so I am confused on "center terminal???
Anyone have any experience with this accelerator?

thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

#4 in with out the abreviations would read "Terminal strip to single pole double through switch outer terminal."

This would be the back of your toggle switch in the dash I am assuming

Yes the actuator has positive and negative. They "flip" polarities when you run one way VS. the other.

The other two wires attach to the back of your single pole double through switch from what it sounds like.

It would have been nice if they gave you a diagram....
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ok I just looked at the unit on their web site. Are you sure that there is not a cover that you remove to access some more connections?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

No there is no cover you remove, it is a sealed unit, 4 wires coming out of one side (red, black, and two whites) on the other side there is (2) terminal screws..
Do I have to run new wires to the hatch switch?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

OK I got it then. No you should not have to run new wires from the switch. You will take the old wires that go to your ram and connect them to the two terminals. Do this were ever it is convenient and leaves you with enough white wire to make it to the trim ram. The white wires go as they say to the trim ram. If the wires going to the trim ram are already 14ga wire or larger, then you can splice the white wires into them. It does not matter what one goes were. The red to battery positive and black to battery and GOOD ground. If the unit runs in reverse then just swap your two wires on the terminal strips. This SHOULD do the trick. Now my suggestion is to put a fuse in there some place on the red wire going to the battery. You would need to know what the amp draw is on the trim ram. If you want to be safe 14ga wire can not handle more then a 20 amp load at 12 volts so go with a 20 amp or smaller fuse.

Last edited by Audiofn; 07-07-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Thank you, I believe I understand now, although you keep saying "trim ram", it is a hatch ram, but I assume that is what you meant to say.
It does have a 20amp fuse inline on the red wire.
So take the two wires were they connect to the hatch ram wires and connect those to the (2) terminals. Then take the two white wires and go to the hatch ram wires. Take red to positive side on one of the batteries, and the black to the ground side of the battery. Is this right?

Thanks Audiofn
Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When you are done, let us know how much faster it is. Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by djl7780
Thank you, I believe I understand now, although you keep saying "trim ram", it is a hatch ram, but I assume that is what you meant to say.
It does have a 20amp fuse inline on the red wire.
So take the two wires were they connect to the hatch ram wires and connect those to the (2) terminals. Then take the two white wires and go to the hatch ram wires. Take red to positive side on one of the batteries, and the black to the ground side of the battery. Is this right?

Thanks Audiofn
Sounds like what I would imagine they are talking about.

Jon
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered

They box is just a standard relay that eddie marine marks up, way up. When wired correctly they work very well. For others looking to buy, this read the thread below. Some good DIY info, with complete wiring diagrams and where to buy the relays:

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...ighlight=hatch
Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: HILLSBOROUGH, NJ OCEAN BEACH, NJ & LIDO KEY FLORIDA
Default Engine Hatch Lift Mount

Hope You Guys Can Help,
How Do You Install The Top Electric Hatch Bracket To The Hatch Itself If It's Only 1/2 Inch Thick And Vinyl Sun Pad Can't Be Removed, So You Can Thru Bolt The Bracket, I Guess I'm Asking Are 1/4 Inch Length Wood Screws Enough ? I Wouldn't Think So

Quick Reply: Hatch accuator accelerator help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.