Notices

Small Block exhaust

Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lightning

Originally Posted by skaterdave
you might wanna check out http://www.boatheaders.com/index.htm
they make headers for small block that are true water jackets big tube headers and are alot less expensive than the rest.
I waited about a year for lightning to actually deliver the small block headers because I didnt want to go with a manifold type unit
(granted this was a long time ago)

I ultimately moved to the powerflows because lightning just wasn't delivering the small block product- my other lightning product experiences have been very good.

At the time I went with the powerflows the SS marines had a clamping issue.

The ability to slightly move the elbow is kinda neat it seems like the older units had a single clamp and the picture here it looks like its a double clamp setup now.

Any kind of tube setup is going to give better top end performance than a manifold but realistically it may not be worth the bucks if its your only modification- you are back to $ again.

Question- Baja 280- what have you done to your small block ? The expense of tube headers may not buy you anything over a manifold if this is your only mod or your mod is a low end midrange build

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Old 10-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

The ability to slightly move the elbow is kinda neat it seems like the older units had a single clamp and the picture here it looks like its a double clamp setup now.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
The only reason my setup has 2 clamps is because of the 1 inch spacer between the maniflold and the riser/tailpipe.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered

Default Imco pict

Heres a pict I snapped in the shop this morning of an Imco BB setup which is very similar to the SB setup.

The boat its is my friend Big "D's" 22 ft Cole Superhawk and its getting a hatch repair so I snapped a pict for you guys.

Although I really like and can recommend the Imcos if SS marine has the clamping issue fixed- the ability to rotate the elbow makes installation a helluva lot easier.

The shot of the tubes is my new Ilmor 710.

You can check out the build in the Laveycraft forum. The boats Killer.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Attached Thumbnails Small Block exhaust-dsc05611.jpg   Small Block exhaust-dsc05699.jpg  
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Registered

I love the Stainless Marine...gained 2 mph 150-200 rpm's.....
Attached Thumbnails Small Block exhaust-dsc01862.jpg   Small Block exhaust-dsc01863.jpg   Small Block exhaust-dsc01864.jpg  

Old 10-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Registered

I waited about a year for lightning to actually deliver the small block headers because I didnt want to go with a manifold type unit
(granted this was a long time ago)

I ultimately moved to the powerflows because lightning just wasn't delivering the small block product- my other lightning product experiences have been very good.

Any kind of tube setup is going to give better top end performance than a manifold but realistically it may not be worth the bucks if its your only modification- you are back to $ again.

Question- Baja 280- what have you done to your small block ? The expense of tube headers may not buy you anything over a manifold if this is your only mod or your mod is a low end midrange build

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Hi Uncle Dave
The engines are out,
Just refinished the boat 6 months ago, engines are stock 260's and the boat runs about 55. Would like to reach the 70 mark if I could
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

Well if the Engines are out - Nows the time.
Does your boat have external steering? (doubting it)
Bad news- thats a big delta.
Good news we can get you there.

Exhaust is the first thing you've gotta do- but take a look at what it bought Spillman- 1-2.

What's your budget?

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Old 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

Thumbs up sb exhaust

Well if the Engines are out - Nows the time.
Does your boat have external steering? (doubting it)
Bad news- thats a big delta.
Good news we can get you there.

Exhaust is the first thing you've gotta do- but take a look at what it bought Spillman- 1-2.

What's your budget?

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Good point...But, my factory stuff had issues-rust and corrosion; forced to do it & why not upgrade @ that time. I was hoping for 3+mph, but I also had to replace the Spinelli props that had been "over-labbed" and were full of cracks. My point is, I had to start fresh with Hydromotives and had Throttle-up lab & trim them. I think there are still 1-3mph w/more tweaking...but I am an optimist.
Back to the Stainless Marine; Installed I paid $4,500 for both motors- alot of $$ for 2mph! But, like I said I had to replace them & I would do it again all things considered- weight savings, sound & slight power increase.

btw, Uncle Dave, what external steering wouldyou rec. for my boat?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

Wow.... I just wanted a little more HP. Didn't know I needed external steering.
What do I do? Please give me some hints Uncle Dave...
Need to keep the Budget below 12K.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Oh Ya. Forgot to mention. The boat only has Alpha drives.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

i'm running stainless marine with dry pipes on procharged 434's.made 725hp with drag car headers on the dyno. bolted my manifolds on to see how much i would lose . i gained 15hp !

Quick Reply: Small Block exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.