Notices

fuel pick up in tank?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GERRYM454
I use copper pipe and non lead solder it into a steel fitting and cut to needed lenght. I install the fitting witha gas resistant sealer and have never had a failure. the parts are universally available and inexpensive.
I would probably not use copper as it might work harden and crack from vibration. I don't think those outboards would like to lean out...
Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I know USCG rules are you need check valves. But I delete them as a possible source for fuel blockage. I would not use plastic tubes for fear of the plastic getting hard and cracking. Use aluminum or the copper pipe. It really is quite easy to make a new one.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Registered

IMCO makes tanks and custom pickups in house. the prices are very reasonable. I had a custom 3/4" pickup made for mine... The stock 3/8" just was not going to work. They can make something for you, or pull a stock screw in type from there stock. you will be very happy with the service and price.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

The pics are before I cut to size and angle cut the end. Its best to keep the pickup about 1/2" or so from the bottom with a 45deg angle cut. That will solve any water build up on the bottom of the tank just let your water sep filters do what they are there for. Some guys install the pickup too high and then after some time the water builds up and one day you are sucking lots of water. Better to keep the tank clean by sucking off the bottom and like I said let the sep filters do the work.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Thanks DonROC for tha pics any Idea on cost?

I will try calling them I am cautious of some metals like copper because of the ethanol in the fuel these days and possible additives in the future. I use methanol on my turbocharged cars and It doesnt like some metals very much So I always keep that thought in my head when dealing with fuel.

I figure that probably why the swtich to plastic was made but that one from imco looks like stainless?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered

My boat currently has no check balls / anti siphon valves

Thats how it was when I got in there figured if the MFG wanted them they'd be in there.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
Thanks DonROC for tha pics any Idea on cost?

I will try calling them I am cautious of some metals like copper because of the ethanol in the fuel these days and possible additives in the future. I use methanol on my turbocharged cars and It doesnt like some metals very much So I always keep that thought in my head when dealing with fuel.

I figure that probably why the swtich to plastic was made but that one from imco looks like stainless?
Its aluminum, you wont have any fuel compatibility issues with it. Im a dealer so wont give my cost but I bet they would make you one for under $100 shipped. Now thats a deal. Let me know how you make out.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Registered

Ok, dumb question. My pick up tube won't come out. It appears to be welded to the tank. It's a 280 PQ Silencer. I've been having what may be a fuel block problem (I've discussed on other threads). Any suggestions how I can remove/replace the existing tube?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevewy
Ok, dumb question. My pick up tube won't come out. It appears to be welded to the tank. It's a 280 PQ Silencer. I've been having what may be a fuel block problem (I've discussed on other threads). Any suggestions how I can remove/replace the existing tube?
Block it off and install one like the one in my pictures, 3/8" would work but I would want a 1/2" just in case you install some fuel hungry engine down the road and a 1/2" wont cost any more. You can test what you have with a vac guage, plumb one in with clear hose and read it while you are running down the lake, allso look for any air bubbles. If the motor starts starving and you see the vac guage climbing then you have a restriction. Anything over 4" is an issue.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevewy
I had that happen to me, I removed the fitting and thought I would have the pick up tube come up with it, wrong, it broke and was stuck in there. I ended up using a easy out to spin it up and out. Mine had just seized to the tank, copper tube to aluminum tank.