Hinge Pins Stipped/Gimbal Bellhousing

Notices

Hinge Pins Stipped/Gimbal Bellhousing

Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
What about having them drilled out and just going to High Performance Hinge Pins that simply pound in. The HP ones don't have any threads and are installed and removed with a slide hammer. Then all you would have to do is drill the bellhousing out the size of the hinge pin - not have to worry about threads, etc...??
The HP gimbal ring is a solid piece where as the standard gimbal ring has a pressed fit bushing in the ring and the HP bell housing has a press fit bushing. If you use the HP pins on a standard ring there will be too much slop and it will come apart...

How do I know this, cause I tried it once back in the late 1990's. We had a customer who needed to get running for the weekend and we didn't have all the parts to put it back together. We had an HP bell housing and pins laying around so I drilled/tapped the ring for the retaining bolts and put it together. Putting it together it seemed like it was going to work but when we pulled the boat on monday to replace everything with the correct parts, the belhousing was loose as chit and dangerous...

I got lucky there wasn't a failure but I'll never do something like that again.. Mind you it was well over 10 yrs ago and I'm older and wiser now.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 774 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
The HP gimbal ring is a solid piece where as the standard gimbal ring has a pressed fit bushing in the ring and the HP bell housing has a press fit bushing. If you use the HP pins on a standard ring there will be too much slop and it will come apart...

How do I know this, cause I tried it once back in the late 1990's. We had a customer who needed to get running for the weekend and we didn't have all the parts to put it back together. We had an HP bell housing and pins laying around so I drilled/tapped the ring for the retaining bolts and put it together. Putting it together it seemed like it was going to work but when we pulled the boat on monday to replace everything with the correct parts, the belhousing was loose as chit and dangerous...

I got lucky there wasn't a failure but I'll never do something like that again.. Mind you it was well over 10 yrs ago and I'm older and wiser now.
Good to know - it was just a shot in the dark.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every piece of equipment that goes into space uses helicoils; you should be fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Heli coils today a re-assembled bellhouing. I torqued hinge pins to 135ft# and used the lock tite. Felt pretty solid. Manual says 150ft#s, but was not going to risk taking it that far. JR Marine states that I should be fine.

I will check them again later in the season make sure still tight.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like mentioned several ways above don't sweat the coils! Many do not know this but every single hole in a Volvo out drive is coiled from the factory and have been for 30 some odd years. When you do it use the LocTite primer and the red ultra loc, I always coil any shaky thread.