Notices

454 with trs

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Take the drive off, unbolt enginemounts and take her out !!!!!!!

Same way it will go back in and then stick the drive back on !!!!!!!!!!!
Total time..maybe 1 hour !!!!!
sounds like a plan! thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,217 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
sounds like a plan! thanks
Keep us posted on the time it takes to pull the drive and tranny. just curious
Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest way is to pull the drives, two trans mount bolts, four bolts on the pillowblock motor mounts, disconect hoses, electrical, and yank em out ! if ya do not mess with the motor mounts, and stack the trans to the gimble springs , she'll drop back in easy, drive should slip in easy, or get out the alignment tools !.. I have had my Scarabs motors/trans out 11 times in 3 years.. been there done it..you want to know the wrenches and socket sizes you need ..I have them memorized!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

hey guys thanks for all the info. now im a little new at the whole pullin the motor but takin all my stering bars and mounting brackett off the out drive took me about 15 min. but pullin the motor and tranny and makin sure what to take off so i have enough room to hook up all my oil coolers and rear cradell motor mount took me about 3hours but it was very easy having a boom truck not to mention i waited an hour for it to show up. now however i am dreading putting the damn thing back in the boat so if you have any pointers on what i should go ahead and put back on the motor before i drop it back in because i no its gonne take me a lot longer to hook every thing back up THANK AGAIN EVERYBODY!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Registered

pay close attention to the spring and washer between the trans and inner transom plate
Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove trans?? = trans cooler?? drain fluid? just something else to disconnect if you have one - shift linkage? - remove drive? - heavy sum be-ahh-ch.... Why create more work?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need to figure out some way to support the front of the transmission if you want to do it like that. You will have to slide the engine forward to disengage it from the transmission. Putting it back in will be even harder. I guess it can be done but it just isn't the usual way of doing it.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
You would need to figure out some way to support the front of the transmission if you want to do it like that. You will have to slide the engine forward to disengage it from the transmission. Putting it back in will be even harder. I guess it can be done but it just isn't the usual way of doing it.
I've done it that way 5 or 6 times now - never a problem - only supported trans after engine was out - letting it "hang" for a short period seems to have no ill effects - the tail of the trans cannot move up much, to let the front drop, because it is inside the transom assembly, and the outdrive shaft is still inside it. You still have to slide the engine forward when the trans is attached too - probably farther than you do when doing it this way. Use a leveling setup on your lift chain and it's even an easier job - one man either way - depending on your bildge layout. I don't even have to take my manifolds out of the boat - just slide them back. When no-ones paying you by the hour, you tend to find the easy simple ways to do things.
Attached Thumbnails 454 with trs-cig-27-cam-swap-05.jpg   454 with trs-cig-27-cam-swap-05-4.jpg   454 with trs-cig-27-cam-swap-05-5.jpg  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 05-31-2010 at 01:53 PM.