Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
loud rattling noise from engine compartment >

loud rattling noise from engine compartment

Notices

loud rattling noise from engine compartment

Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when my ujoints broke i could only idle my boat what happenend was they were never greased and orignall from 1988 just the bearings in the caps came out into the bellow and the caps came apart i just bought a new shaft and had conneticut driveshaft put a set of heavy duty ujoints in it and nothing else broke un the drive good luck
Old 05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
If your U-joints were rusty, they were rusty for a reason.... Water. There should not be water in there. I'd say you probably have a small leak in the bellow.
i agree,u joints,and bellows,replace the gimble bearing while you are at it.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

tinman 565 I guess your too irrogant and idiotic to have any sense to know that if you have nothing nice to say then don't say nothing, I guess you werent taught that earlier in your life thats just too bad. As far as ruining peoples day im responsible enough to have sea tow so if things go bad I don't have to bother other boaters sea tow comes out but I can't expect you to know that since you can't understand to keep your stupid comments to yourself. instead of coming to someone else's thread to talk bs because you got nothing better to do why don't you just stay out of the conversation that is if you can resist ,or is it that you need the attention that bad? come on act your age. If you got picked on when you were younger and you got made fun off so now your bad behind that keyboard to me thats just childish so like I said be smart enough to stay out of the thread because from what I can tell you really don't have too many friends. Oh and by the way aren't you the one who started your boat out of the water and your neighbor told you to put it in gear and you put it in gear and then it got stuck in reverse? yeah that's what I thought, before you question other people's knowledge you should question your own. As to the thread I really appreciate everyones informative input im glad there's people who are actually on here to help out

Last edited by 272bajadriver; 05-16-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Registered

like i said...your the perfect example of an irresponsible boater. Buy your kids the best life vests you can find...unless you wanna put off doing that too....lol.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

lol sure thing tinman your such an idiot man grow up I feel pretty bad for your kids with such a role model that they have to look up to such as yourself lol happy boating
Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 AM
sandman
Gold Member

I little lesson I learned: You already know that the gimbal brng, ujoints, bellows need to be replaced. Now that the outdrive is off, take a hard look at everything else. Im not sure if ujoints failing would cause stress on the input shaft into your upper. (bearings/seals) Have someone inspect it if you dont know what to look for. See if you can get a visual on the rubber area of the coupler. Does it have cracks? another inspection you can do anytime the boat is on the trailer, with the drive in nuetral, grab the prop and push in then turn quikly back and forth. If there are chipped/burred gears you will feel it and hear it. This little test saved me a destroyed lower unit. Inspections and maintenence are critical on these things. When was the last time you inspected the seawater pump impellor or had your exhaust/header pressure checked? (this one caused me a destroyed motor) And even after all that, accept the fact that sometimes sh*t just breaks for no apparrant reason. A few extra hours in your driveway could save you an entire boating season. All this is coming from a guy who's boat has been on the trailer for the last two seasons due to a destroyed motor. Have a fun safe summer.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sandcraft
I little lesson I learned: You already know that the gimbal brng, ujoints, bellows need to be replaced. Now that the outdrive is off, take a hard look at everything else. Im not sure if ujoints failing would cause stress on the input shaft into your upper. (bearings/seals) Have someone inspect it if you dont know what to look for. See if you can get a visual on the rubber area of the coupler. Does it have cracks? another inspection you can do anytime the boat is on the trailer, with the drive in nuetral, grab the prop and push in then turn quikly back and forth. If there are chipped/burred gears you will feel it and hear it. This little test saved me a destroyed lower unit. Inspections and maintenence are critical on these things. When was the last time you inspected the seawater pump impellor or had your exhaust/header pressure checked? (this one caused me a destroyed motor) And even after all that, accept the fact that sometimes sh*t just breaks for no apparrant reason. A few extra hours in your driveway could save you an entire boating season. All this is coming from a guy who's boat has been on the trailer for the last two seasons due to a destroyed motor. Have a fun safe summer.
I agree it just takes a little bit of preventive maint. I do the same I go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I have only been towed twice once because of a plastic bag I didn't know I ran over, overheated and blew the motor and another time my new to me boat had a bad gas gauge.(boated all my life) I check everything every time. I even change the water pump and housing every year and the belt that drives the water/fuel pump. If you treat it like an airplane most of the time you will be ok.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Not to take sides, but I think what tinman was implying is if the ujoint let go, the bellows could be torn and the boat quickly sink. No time for seatow when that happens, and it happens.

Carryon
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

That was exactly my point...which also entailed repairing a problem as soon as you can, before it causes a larger problem (more money, destruction, physical harm, etc.). Going out and having fun is one thing, but going out when you know there is something wrong is just ignorant. It can turn fun into a life or death situation REAL quick. A 27' fishing boat SANK in 4 minutes here on Lake Ontario last summer, a half mile from shore because of a problem in the drive/transom area. All the occupants ended up ok, (after being pulled from the water...some holding life vests because they didnt have enough time to get them on before going overboard) but got the sh*t scared outta them. These arent vehicles we are driving on the road...we are on water...usually deep water...your not getting out and walking. If something bad would have happened to his boat on his last outting...the FIRST thing he would have said after he got back to land was "I prolly should have had that noise looked at".
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

I definitely see your point and I don't disagree with it but there's also a respectful way to talk to people when they ask for help on the forums. Jumping on someone and saying they deserve what they get isn't really respectful nor is it called for. But I definitely see the point. As far as motor it's a new motor with new risers, headers everything. When I put the outdrive back on the ujoints got a little wet and rusty because of where it was stored, I didn't think it would let go so soon but I was definitely wrong so yes lesson is learned, but just remember you cant just go on the forums disrespecting people like that when they ask for help so hopefully my point is seen as well. Thanks for the input and help from everyone, hopefully within the next week I'll have some time to pull the outdrive off and see what damaged was caused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.