neutral switch question... >

neutral switch question...

Notices

neutral switch question...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral switch question...

suspect i need to replace neutral switch. i removed the shifter / throttle 'box'. was able to lift out approx. 6 inches or so. all i saw was a lot of cables. no sign of a switch. is this the correct area to look for neutral switch? 1994 baja 272. thx ahead of time for any help.

Last edited by bigblueheaven; 06-04-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On mine its on the engine's Were the linkage bolts to the risers.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
On mine its on the engine's Were the linkage bolts to the risers.
thx, but i checked there. no switch. seems like i read somewhere that it's located / attached to shifter / throttle levers? would love to find a diagram smewhere. no luck in that search either.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Registered

If there is a wire(2) coming out the bottom of the shifters and there is no other controls on your shifter. Then thats your neutral safety switch. The switch has a little metal arm that comes out of the switch.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by whoya
If there is a wire(2) coming out the bottom of the shifters and there is no other controls on your shifter. Then thats your neutral safety switch. The switch has a little metal arm that comes out of the switch.
no other controls on shifters (trim control is on the dash). two cables (thick red or black i believe) and 1 grey thinner 'coated/insulated' one on the bottom of 'shifter' box. the grey one runs up into the shifter control. there are no other wires or cables leaving from the bottom of that box.

by the way, if it matters / helps, it's a kiekafer shift / throttle control.

thx.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

I forgot what brand is in my old Baja.
There should be two wires in that insulated coating.
If you cut them and put them together this will bypass the switch you can see if the switch is the problem.
Problem usally starts by having to jiggle the shifter to get the boat to start.
You can bend the metal tab up more so it makes better contact.
I cant post pictures here of mine.
If you pull it apart(assuming its the same as mine):
There should be a couple of pins that hold the cables in place on the shifter. If you remove those then tilt the throttle box they will unhook, the cable ends just hook on. Remember how they go.
After you take the bolts/nuts out there is some balls and springs in it, do it very slowly and pay attention how everything comes apart. Before you pull it apart you can see the switch up in there.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

I forgot what brand is in my old Baja.
There should be two wires in that insulated coating.
If you cut them and put them together this will bypass the switch you can see if the switch is the problem.
Problem usally starts by having to jiggle the shifter to get the boat to start.
You can bend the metal tab up more so it makes better contact.
I cant post pictures here of mine.
If you pull it apart(assuming its the same as mine):
There should be a couple of pins that hold the cables in place on the shifter. If you remove those then tilt the throttle box they will unhook, the cable ends just hook on. Remember how they go.
After you take the bolts/nuts out there is some balls and springs in it, do it very slowly and pay attention how everything comes apart. Before you pull it apart you can see the switch up in there.
pictures would be awesome. i'd really appreciate it.

i would hate to cut wires. although i guess i could just re-connect them if this isn't the issue or if it is, reconnect regardless. just hate cutting any wires.

cannot see a 'metal tab' to bend.

yes, last season i had to jiggle shifter from time to time to get it to start. had this problem on previous boats.

the boat hasn't been run yet since winterization. 1st time startup this season. turn key and nada. no noise, no click etc.etc.

i knew i would have to face this sooner or later since last season had to jiggle shifter from time to time to get it to start. kinda surprised that it wouldn't start right out of the gate this season.

anyway, a picture, just to be sure, would be great if its not too much trouble.

disregard. just re-read. you 'can't' post pictures here. misread 1st time. can u email pictures?

Last edited by bigblueheaven; 06-05-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added sentence.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

I never took pics of it apart.
I have a pic of it though. Can't post pics here though. If you want you can post your email and I can send a pic.
If your worried just slice open that casing and you will see the two wires. If you cut the wires you can just splice them back together.
I put a longer wires on mine so it would make it easier to install and remove.
If you have access to a ohm meter you can cut the wires and check the switch with a ohm meter across both leads from the shifter.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

I never took pics of it apart.
I have a pic of it though. Can't post pics here though. If you want you can post your email and I can send a pic.
If your worried just slice open that casing and you will see the two wires. If you cut the wires you can just splice them back together.
I put a longer wires on mine so it would make it easier to install and remove.
If you have access to a ohm meter you can cut the wires and check the switch with a ohm meter across both leads from the shifter.
[email protected]

thx a bunch.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Registered

Im sorry I can post here. I was thinking I was on one of the other sites.
The wire you see running up the shifter is because I made the shifters light up.
Is this what you have?
Attached Thumbnails neutral switch question...-shifter.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.