Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
1998 Crownline 202 WIth 454 merc and Bravo 1 outdrive Question. >

1998 Crownline 202 WIth 454 merc and Bravo 1 outdrive Question.

Notices

1998 Crownline 202 WIth 454 merc and Bravo 1 outdrive Question.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Crownline 202 WIth 454 merc and Bravo 1 outdrive Question.

Hi I pulled the out drive to check on a slight vibration. It would vibrate if you revved it up around 1600 rpm in neutral and in gear with no load on it, but put it in the water under load and it was gone, and in the water in neutral still had the vibration.
I looked at the u-joints no rust no sign of any thing wrong, rolled over the gimbal by hand and felt smooth and had no play in it.
I think it was in my alignment because I noticed the side motor mount top nut was over 1/2" loose. I am ordering a alignment tool and will check than and tighten up the motor mount and see.

My question is; Is there anything else I need to look at while the drive is out? I noticed where it pivots the drive up and down has a little side to side play in it is that normal?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Registered

check alignment for sure if it is out you could lose the engine coupler and they are a real pain just changed mine side to side play could be the cable or the swivel shaft check cable first it is the easiest, swivel shaft is a pain in the rear
Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
10M
Registered

This might be a stupid question, but was the drive up when you were testing it? If it is trimmed up high and you rev it much past idle it will vibrate.