Help with new trailer setup >

Help with new trailer setup

Notices

Help with new trailer setup

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new trailer setup

I have a rusted out eagle trailer and I just picked up a used vanson trailer in great shape for free on craigslist. The vanson had a 24 foot fiberform on it and its built like a tank. I want to put my 223 formula on it but the old trailer had solid bunks and the new one has keel rollers and adjustable bunks. Should I take the rollers off and make solid bunk mounts or will I be good with the formula on the keel rollers and adjustble bunks? The boat would fit perfect on the new trailer with a little bunk adjustment. But I am unsure if this is the best way to carry the boat.... any opinions?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

I would never use a roller trailer. In my opinion, it is hard on the boat with inadequate support in needed areas and dangerous to tow. Take your measurements offf the Eagle and convert your new trailer to bunks--its not difficult and you will sleep much better not to mention your boat will thank you.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by goldeneyee
I would never use a roller trailer. In my opinion, it is hard on the boat with inadequate support in needed areas and dangerous to tow. Take your measurements offf the Eagle and convert your new trailer to bunks--its not difficult and you will sleep much better not to mention your boat will thank you.
+1
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
+1, I did the same thing! went from eagle to adj bunk. No rollers, would not want boat to roll of trailer as I have seen before!

I faught mine for 2 hours, then finally used a buddy's measurements and worked perfect!!

congrats!! The best thing I did was put my old eagle in a very large trash can!!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

So no to the keel rollers or full rollers? I have wood bunks but only rollers on the keel. I am afraid if I use the bunks only the supports on the bunks will not be strong enough without making them fixed with like 2x4 box tubing witch would be a lot of work.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

I think most folks have missed the point that your "new" trailer only has keel rollers and is not actually a full roller trailer - which is not optimal for hull support. That said, the best thing for your hull is a full bunk style trailer - if the bunks are positioned properly. So measuring your old trailer (assuming it was built for the boat) up to get the critical dimensions is your first move.

Assuming that you can move the bunks on your new trailer to match the spacing, length and height of the original trailer, you should be able to dump the keel rollers. Remember something about adjustable bunks though, they can come out of adjustment pretty easily too. Locking them in place is highly recommended.

Finally, don't forget one other critical measurement / adjustment. The center of balance (which affects tongue weight) on an Eagle is set at the factory when they design and weld up the trailer. Eagle's usually tow like champs because this is done properly. If you don't get this adjustment right on your new trailer, you might have a perfectly supported boat on something that's a white knuckle tow.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 908 Posts

I have the keel/center rollers on my trailer. The boat barely even touches them and they are not supporting any weight. They just help a little with centering the boat.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I have the keel/center rollers on my trailer. The boat barely even touches them and they are not supporting any weight. They just help a little with centering the boat.
Very good point - as always!