Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
is there a cheap way to do hydraulic steering hoses? >

is there a cheap way to do hydraulic steering hoses?

Notices

is there a cheap way to do hydraulic steering hoses?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baja_brian
Just use lots of tape and wire. You should be good after that.

If you head down to loto let me know, I am there almost every weekend.

I was thinking about Okoboji just the other day. I was craving some of them "better than sex" pina coladas.
that is gonna have to be some killer tape lol

loto is in the works, also okoboji and harlan county. harder to get away for a weekend with kids...
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I checked several hydraulic shops in the Omaha area when I had a hose leaking on my Pantera. Nobody had the fittings with the correct flange angle except the Aeroquip dealer just south of 108th and Harrison St.

I'm pretty sure you know, or at least know who Pulte is. He has the light gray 28 Baja with big power and monster stereo. I know you have both been down at Rick's at the same time before.
im gonna have to check them out or order online. i like the idea of the reusable fittings.

does anyone know the correct fitting flange angle i need?

i think the hose is a -6 or 3/8" if i am not mistaken. does anyone know the difference between 1 wire and 2 wire?

does the return line need to be the same as the rest of the system? or can i use the same hose with some type of slide on and clamp fitting? it is not under the amount of pressure everything else is...

doesnt seem like any of the manufacturers want to give out the info onine for stuff like this... latham especially has very little info online for guys like me that are piecing together setups.

griff, now that you say what Pultes boat is i know him, talked to him several times last year. that baja 280 is the next model i am looking at buying. his motors are SWEET! nice guy
Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done doing all my steering lines. All but my return are -6 JIC. The return I used npt/jic in the the cooler, then push loc jic's.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered

does this part # sound right?

AEROQUIP # FJ9122-0806S

Female (37 Degree) JIC Swivel
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

ok thats wrong it think this is it FJX-06-05?

which is -6 or 3/8 37 degree female swivel 5/16" thread
Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

i have the option to buy latham thru hull fittings for 50 each and includes 1 90 deg fitting each which looks to be about 15 each and then buy rubber hoses OR i can buy a stainless thru hull kit from cp or hardin and get 2 thru fittings, 4 90s, the fitting on the outside is attached so that pretty much knocks out 6 stainless fittings that are roughly 15 each so 60 total in fittings and i get stainless braided lines to the ram for 180 bucks. if i buy the latham ones i am 100 on the thru hulls, 60 in the 4 other fittings i need on the outside of the hull that doesnt have the hoses. ok, thats figured out

my helm has male adapters on it, it was a imco helm so i am assuming based off of their website (much better than lathams!) that they should be -6 JIC which they list as 9/16"-18 thread 37 flare which sounds right to me. what is throwing me off is the bajo fitting i need for the steering pump is listed on cp with a 5/16-18 Thread X -6AN... so what i am thinking is that the 2 lines to the rams will be identical -6 9/16"-18 thread? and then the hose for the pump is gonna have 9/16 on the helm side and 5/16 on the pump side? then the return line will have a 9/16 on the helm side and a slip on fitting on the cooler side. does this sound right or am i all sorts of confused?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I am not sure. I just used lots and lots of PURPLE tape.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

I made all mine with hose that was overkill, I think it is rated at like 5500psi or something, all my fittings on my hoses are -6 jic, reusable they call them. I think I used parker fittings, that are stainless. the only hose that is push lock is my return, however they slide into the hose, then have a -6 female jic, going into the cooler the fittings are 3/8npt male- 6 jic male, that way I never have to cut the hose to get them off, just put a wrench on them. The thru hull fittings were npt to jic. I hope this helps out better.