Notices

hydraulic steering

Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic steering

So I have a 1994 Baja and gimble plate pun is wearing out which is giving me play in the steering, I've heard to repair is will cost around 4gs. I can buy external hydraulic steering way cheaper than that, and will be a much better setup than what I have. My question is has anyone done this is it hard to do, running single outdrive. I'm a very capable weekend mechanic, but this seems like it could be smuggle over my head.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tony2times
So I have a 1994 Baja and gimble plate pun is wearing out which is giving me play in the steering, I've heard to repair is will cost around 4gs. I can buy external hydraulic steering way cheaper than that, and will be a much better setup than what I have. My question is has anyone done this is it hard to do, running single outdrive. I'm a very capable weekend mechanic, but this seems like it could be smuggle over my head.
I think if your gimbal ring is already worn, you are going to need to fix it. I once had a single ram add-on system and my gimbal was worn. It still created a dangerous situation. When I accelerated hard, the boat would pull to the star. side. Once my gimbal ring was repaired, the problem went away.

Also, it didn't cost anywhere near 4K to replace the gimbal ring.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im aslo need to replace the gimble ring and pin. Im an automotive mechanic for years and was also wondering if this is something that can be done at the house to save money? I know theres a couple of holes that have to be drilled at the top of the gimble housing and then plugged after work in done Im assming this is to gain access to a bolt or a pin of some kind? Any help would be appreciated thanks so much.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

jrmarine.com and it will show how this is done to remove and replace your gimbal ring. You can send it to them and have it welded up on the worn issues.

They offer the swivel shaft pin if needed along with a S.S. Gimbal ring if that is needed to combat heavy salt water use. Good luck
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by swan2
Im aslo need to replace the gimble ring and pin. Im an automotive mechanic for years and was also wondering if this is something that can be done at the house to save money? I know theres a couple of holes that have to be drilled at the top of the gimble housing and then plugged after work in done Im assming this is to gain access to a bolt or a pin of some kind? Any help would be appreciated thanks so much.
Check out www.jrmarine.com
Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tony2times
yes you can you can go one cly full hyd. you take out the cable and replace with hoses you have to take the steering wheel out and replace that talk to bill he set me up with imco http://www.diamondperformanceparts.c...cat=261&page=1 once you put this on you will love it ,the drive does not move no play at all!!! well worth it and easy to put on

Last edited by bajabob; 09-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Take the extra time and pull the motor and transom assm to repair the ring then put the full hyd system on.

Imco makes a very nice affordable system.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered

that pin does nothing when full hyr in install. why waste your money and time?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered

thats what I have heard if I go full hydro I wont have to fix the pin at all. I have looked at Latham Marine stuff, looks alittle complicated. Even the baja dealer suggested the same thing. He said it would be 4gs to repair it, pulling motor drive basically how explained it anything that is black. right now I have only about 1 inch of play either way when I move the drive with my hand.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bajabob
that pin does nothing when full hyr in install. why waste your money and time?
Except hold the top of the ring on the boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.