Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
What ethanol treatment are you guys using? >

What ethanol treatment are you guys using?

Notices

What ethanol treatment are you guys using?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that you read my post just before this.

Also...

Mercury Debunks More Ethanol Myths

Mercury Marine, the world's largest manufacturer of marine engines, recently held a webinar to debunk some of its own myths about ethanol. I attended with interest. The first myth was that there are fuel additives that can prevent all issues associated with ethanol-blended gasoline. For example, no fuel additive can prevent ethanol from acting like a solvent. The second myth was that fuel additives can make stale or phase-separated fuel useable. "Fuel cannot be rejuvenated," Mercury determined, and they noted that it's a myth that ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided. Here are some quotes from the Mercury Marine webinar.

"There is no active transfer mechanism for ethanol molecules to reach out and 'grab' water molecules out of the air. Under normal storage conditions, even in a vented fuel tank, it just does not happen at a level or rate that is relevant."

"Major multi-billion dollar companies with enormous resources have improved gasoline additives but there have been no recent breakthroughs involving 'magical technology.' Claims made by companies about 'space-age,' 'revolutionary,' or special proprietary technology should be looked at with a high degree of suspicion."

"E10 Ethanol absolutely IS an acceptable fuel for everyday use."

"E15 Ethanol absolutely IS NOT an acceptable fuel."

"After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system 'dry.'"

"Don't immediately assume E10 is the problem."

Last edited by KachinaShadow; 12-23-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I read this article too. About three times, slowly. So I will try the empty tank option this winter for the Fountain. But I went the previous 6 winters using full dose marine Sta-Bil and full tanks of 93 octane E10 and never had so much as a brief engine miss on restart in spring. I also change my water separator filters after the first time out in spring.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

So is that article saying that I do not need to use any kind of ethanol treatment during summer use?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KachinaShadow

"After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system 'dry.'"
I'm far from an expert, but common sense tells me E10 also has the potential to keep HIGH levels of water moving through the system, which could pose a problem.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I would use something, IMO. These links has more reading and opinions.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...s-testify.html

There is one more I'll look for and post the link. Found it:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-solution.html

Last edited by 97FASTech; 12-23-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: new info
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Capt, just google "ethanol harmful to engines?" Should seal the deal.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

it seems as though every problem the boat has nowadays is blamed on ethanol fuel. I doubt it's true.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Pismo10
it seems as though every problem the boat has nowadays is blamed on ethanol fuel. I doubt it's true.
True, but the fuel still needs to be stabilized if sitting for periods of time.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Star-bright startron and Seafoam. Recently, I began using CRC motor treatment with startron: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...126577943.html
Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a video....youtube I think which proves all negatives I have considered of the ethanol. The minute you have space for air in your tank the ethanol starts pulling moisture.

If you have a tank vent that is not a flush mount after only 1 hour of running with air moving over the tank vent can result in a significant amount of water in the tank.

That is where the problems come from. The water. If it gathers in your carburetor it will quiclky corrode the brass needle and seat as well as jets. Also, everyone knows passing water into the engine is never good.

Another note: just personal opinion...I HATE SEAFOAM!!!!

I tried it a few times and it always led to issues! Again, just my personal opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.