Notices

496 HO Fueling issues

Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 496 HO Fueling issues

Hi all, sorry my first post here is a call for help but I need to get back in the water pronto ... summers are short up here

I have an '02 Campion Chase 800i w/a 496 HO. Hit the water today, boat fired up first crank, as always, idled out into the open water, throttled up everything seemed normal. After maybe 10 minutes of 40-50mph cruise, the engine started to sputter, lose power and even backfire. Initially thought ignition so dropped into neutral, throttled up slightly, same thing with no load, leading me to believe I had a fuel issue.
Took an hour to limp back to dock at idle, all the while cutting out, stalling, backfiring etc ... I got to shore, tok off the fuel filter/separator cartridge and drained it into a cup, no water in fuel but sure enough, lots of debris/dirt in the fuel. I drained it, tapped it out (no spare) screwed it back on and ventured back out ... Ran flawlessly to full throttle for about a minute then same thing but to a lesser degree. Limped in again and repeated same process, out again, ran great for maybe 2 minutes then crapped out again. Having no spare onboard (lesson learned) a great guy at the dock took the filter off his boat for me to try (not new) same thing, a few minutes of perfect running then sputtering and backfiring.

Has anyone else with the 496HO had issues like this? Do you think a new filter will do the trick or have I got a tank full of crap that'll need draining and flushing etc ... I just put $400 of fresh fuel in a few days back
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go a buy a auto zone, orileys fuel pressure gage,,install it to the schrader valve on fuel rail,,,its next to your antifreeze reservoir,you can move the reservoir a little for better access,run your boat should stay around 40psi while engine running
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, I'll b trying that today.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Pull out you pick up tube pump the gas put and look in the bottom of your tank its probably filled with debris and junk what its doing is sucking all that crap into the screen and plugging it from getting fuel pressure then when u shut it of that stuf falls back down in the tank until u start it up again
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

had a similar issue ended up being the screen on the boost pump was clogged up and fuel pickup was sucking air
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the fine small inlet screen on the primary fuel lift pump. It's the one on the same side as the fuel water seperator filter under that filter on a bracket. Remove the inlet fitting to that pump and check the screen for debris. Clean as necessary.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar