Notices

Hynautic steering help

Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,210 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ G
If any of you guys have a used Hynautic H41 helm or a used Capilano 1275V please let me know.
I hate to say it but for the price that you are going to pay for either of those helms you would be better off adding a power steering pump, 2 hoses and a char lynn style orbital steering valve.

With the H41 you still need to add a reservalve. And still will not have the lock to lock you are looking for.
http://www.go2marine.com/product/932...ces-rv-60.html
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I hate to say it but for the price that you are going to pay for either of those helms you would be better off adding a power steering pump, 2 hoses and a char lynn style orbital steering valve.

With the H41 you still need to add a reservalve. And still will not have the lock to lock you are looking for.
http://www.go2marine.com/product/932...ces-rv-60.html
I'm thinking the same thing. I can get a char Lynn style helm cheap right now. I was looking for a easy way out. Just a bolt in deal, I already have a hynautic system in place with the pressure tank and lines. I really don't want a project, just want to get through the rest of the season. Then over the winter do something different.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats really a system for a much slower inboard boat...not really designed for what you have there...need to change it all out...
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered

Ok this stuff is kinda sinking in. I'm going to keep my hynautic K5 rams. They are in great condition and it has a nice bravo wing plate.

I'm going to replace the Hynautic helm pump and get a used char-Lynn 211-1009 helm that uses a power steering pump. I think that helm puts out 7.3 and I should see only a few turns lock to lock.

My new question is how much of the hynautic stuff that I have now can be used? Can I use my lines? Can I use my canister as a reservoir? I'm hoping I can buy the helm, a power steering pump, a few small lines.

I just bought the boat and I'm just trying to get through the summer. And this winter redo all the stuff I'm skimping on. Boat runs at 70.2 gps and at 10 turns it's just unsafe to drive and forget docking.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Go to here
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ernal+steering
My buddy did this to his Donzi, I am doing the same to mine right now. Simple system. He used a Euro steering valve I used Char Lynn they are identical.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure those lines will handle the 1000+psi, you will need the marine version(higher pressure @ lower RPM) saginaw pump, inline filter and possibly lines/fittings
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Default the same thing

Hynautic steering help-photo.jpg-64.jpgI have recently purchased a 28' boat with the same steering setup. it takes 7.5 turns lock to lock and has a speed master #3 drive that the rams mount directly to the drive end cap.

The problem I have is the transom brackets are mounted to high up past the crank centerline and the rams are being forced to move in and out as the drive goes through it's travel.

They are also to far away from the drive so I very little turning radius !

Docking is a joke to say the least!
this boat has the pressure reserve tank setup also.

Now since the system works my question is if I relocate the transom brackets further inboard and down even with the crank centerline that will move the total extended lenght out past the end of the drive cap. So do I make a custom wing plate to allow the rams to move through the full travel?

Or do i just scrap the entire system and start over?

This boat has a big HP engine that has twin turbos so it's going to be a fast boat and I want it to be a safe one.

I have added some pix showing the steering ram positons

Any advise here would be great thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hynautic steering help-photo.jpg-61.jpg   Hynautic steering help-photo.jpg-22.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
not sure those lines will handle the 1000+psi, you will need the marine version(higher pressure @ lower RPM) saginaw pump, inline filter and possibly lines/fittings
I'm hoping the lines with be fine going to the rams. They look like heavy duty lines. The 2 lines going from the helm to the rams say 4,000 psi. Then I have some shorter ones that say 1,000 psi.

I'm reading the Gm pump is the exactly the same as the merc. pump except the shuttle valve and spring that's behind the high pressure fitting. New pumps from a auto parts store are around 70 bucks. Very tempting. But I don't know if you can buy the correct marine valve alone to install in in the Parts store GM pump.

Would you know what size lines I will need going from the pump to the helm? And what size fittings. What's the least expensive route with the lines? I'm using a char-Lynn helm.

If anyone has a used power steering pump they want to see please let me know.

I'm sure this is a long shot but if anyone has some good used lines from the helm to the power steering pump please let me know.

Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited by Russ G; 08-02-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnywhale
Go to here
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ernal+steering
My buddy did this to his Donzi, I am doing the same to mine right now. Simple system. He used a Euro steering valve I used Char Lynn they are identical.
Thanks man. I have to join the board to see the pics.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Registered

I have one of these helm pumps, its been some time since I used it but mine was like 6 turns lock to lock. Let me know if you would like to give it a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.