Notices

what fuel rail?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what fuel rail?

Hi Guys,
I am trying to change my 454 MPI fuel supply from an evap tank to a cool fuel pump.

i have the cool fuel set up and hoses but they don't fit the current fuel rail any solution's to my dilemma would be good

if i need a different fuel rail what would the part number be?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

Not sure about the fittings on the crossover but the p/n on the cool fuel rail is 802629 looks to be around $225 on bam's site
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

I have done several of these conversions and have allways used same fuel rail, the regulator needs to be removed and install plug assy.merc# 22-860348a2 and o ring #25-805531 replacing the stock fitting at other end of rail ,only i line from cool fuel to rail, the return line in rail becomes an empty tube the old regulator now becomes a pulsator as the cool fuel module has a reg in it
Joe

Last edited by Broomes Isle Joe; 08-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

You can always drill out and tap the stock rail and convert it to npt with efi hose or an hose, I did this to mine years ago. A few years later I bought rail stock and made my own twin rails, the stock only cost about 80$ and 100$ to local machinist to bore injector holes.
Here is a thread with some pics of my rail mods:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...mitations.html
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
AllDodge (09-06-2023), Xcomunic8d (09-07-2023)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Registered

some intresting solutions there guys
I thought that the fuel would have to be going round in a circuit and both holes at the end of the fuel rail would have to be either blocked off or tapped with a 90 degree hose as the dizzy would be in the way?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Registered

with cool fuel the pressure loop is internal'pump ,cooler ,reg all in cool fuel mod `the regulated fuel line tees out to the rail,from between pump and reg, no fuel returns from the rail,the return comes from the reg in the cool fuel to a "in" fitting on the water seperator filter,so the loop is from fltr to cool fuel and back to filter like the new vehicles are with returnless systems
Which works great on a stock engine if your engine is more than mildly modified "Artic Friends" rail mods are what you want, {very impressive work}
as well as larger pump,reg and lines and then I would return fuel to the tank
Merc uses cool fuel all the way up to 525 efi w/the returnless rail
and it is a bolt on conversion from vst
Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dont know why the pictures wont expand , I will respost them
Attached Thumbnails what fuel rail?-01.jpg   what fuel rail?-dsc02971.jpg  
Old 09-05-2023, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in this thread.

I am setting up my 502MPI and my old / parts motor has the fuel rail that is pictured above from arcticfriends (and I added to this post) and has the center fitting for the fuel line.

My new fuel rail only has the connections at the ends. I can get my fuel line onto that because it doesn't fit, the end of the line isn't correct. Anyone know how to get around this? My new fuel rail looks like the below attached.
My new fuel rail works with my intake and injectors so I want to use those.

Last edited by srdrago; 09-05-2023 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update image
Old 09-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by srdrago
Interested in this thread.

I am setting up my 502MPI and my old / parts motor has the fuel rail that is pictured above from arcticfriends (and I added to this post) and has the center fitting for the fuel line.

My new fuel rail only has the connections at the ends. I can get my fuel line onto that because it doesn't fit, the end of the line isn't correct. Anyone know how to get around this? My new fuel rail looks like the below attached.
My new fuel rail works with my intake and injectors so I want to use those.

what fuel rail?-861261t1.jpg
Drill holes out to the appropriate tap size and tap them to NPT, think 1/4" is what Ive done in the past
Old 09-05-2023, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Drill holes out to the appropriate tap size and tap them to NPT, think 1/4" is what Ive done in the past
ya that is what might be leading up to.

Current fuel line has this bulky end which won’t fit. The fuel rail has 2 holes at the end which is for this “push fitting” type of set up, tomorrow I can get an actual photo but you can see it in the drawing.

I am thinking of drilling, tap the current fuel rail then have a shop put a fitting on my fuel line, unless someone has a line for sale. The line looks like it should be #26 in this drawing. I don’t have that line apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.