Finally pulling the trigger

Notices

Finally pulling the trigger

Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
Randy--- black baja could be right
I've had the same oil issue--- builder used stock pan and hv pump drained oil out of pan until it was sucking air. Then it blew a filter line rated for 2500 psi and by the time I got it shut down spun a bearing
Not sure what size pans you have but make sure they are big!
When I bought my boat it had the same oil pressure dropping problem. Turns out there were no windage trays in the oil pans. Eventually I figured out it was windage because when it would happen there would be a burnt oil smell, probably from oil hitting the pistons excessively. I did wipe out my main bearings in one engine before concluding what the problem was so make sure you're not testing this theory too much before you do something.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I recommend using a MasterLube accumulator/pre-oiler. I have one on my boat and use it to pre-oil the motor before starting, and as an accumulator when running hard or in rough water. Very cheap insurance.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Well I replaced the oil senders in both engines, they both read close to equal but approximately 20 psi lower than my manual gauges. I guess I should call Livorsi & see if there is a resistor to put in line to make them more accurate, at least I know there is 20 psi even if the gauges are close to 0. I said earlier in this thread if I have any problems with my mounts I would give Sam (The Deep) first dibs on telling me "I told you so". I was looking things over last night & saw the mount nuts had worked loose, Sooo I pulled the drives, checked the alignment, still good, so I cranked the nuts down & did what I should have done and double nutted all 4. I also found a small oil leak, it feels like a fitting down at the block adapter so I will have to get a mirror down there for a better look. I have a friend that wants to try my shorties & he has stock length XRs so I think that is next to figure out my slippage issue, he also has some 30p 5 blade hydromotive (I think that's the name) props to try so stay tuned to my adventure in trying to find the big 90. Randy
Are you sure you have the correct senders???? The Merc senders are made for the standard sweep 0-80psi gauge. If your gauges are different, you may need a different ohm sender.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Griff, the senders I installed are BWD 80psi senders, I ohm checked them & they read almost identical as compared to the sierra ones I also bought which did not. I was more concerned that they read the same so I can narrow things down to wiring or gauge. I really don't want to pay mercs prices if I don't have to. I am a lot more comfortable after running the boat with both electric & manual gauges at the same time, at least they aren't bouncing around & the engines aren't starving for oil. My gremlins are manageable & I physically know whats going on so I am less worried about it. Now I have to find my small oil leak & get that fixed then I can continue with dialing the boat in. Randy
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I hope you get it figured out randy, I know I'm tired of working the gremlins out of mine , kill them 1 step at a time
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I got the header off & stuff out of the way, not quite sure if the adaptor oring is leaking or the an fitting so I need to pull the adaptor off. That will be tomorrows project. Woo Hoo. At least it isn't anything broken. Randy
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lucky you, I've been fixing my own screw ups
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Depending on what Livorsi/Gaffrig gauges you have, you may need to get senders from them.
Also, don't use sealer on the sender threads. It prevents it from grounding properly.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

CP Performance owes me some money so I talked to Mike & he is sending me 2 oil pressure senders & 2 water temp senders. I will see if that cures my gauge gremlins. When it cools down a little I will pull my oil filter adapters, have 2 new ones on the way. If all goes well with that all I need to tweak inside the boat is the water pressure sender location then I should be free to continue dialing in the drives & props. Randy
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well guys I'm back again, I replaced my oil filter adapters, no more leaks. I replaced the block plugs with the older merc brass ones, where the water pressure fittings were I put T fittings in with the pressure tap facing up. Reinstalled my oil temp senders, changed out my -2 inch sportmasters with stock length XRs, installed some 30p 5 blade Hydromotive props & went out to play. The water pressure gauges work like their supposed to, my oil temp is about 190 @ cruise up to 220 @ full throttle. I noticed a top temp of 250 when I held it open but temp went right back to 190 after slowing down. The boat came up on plane much better but 5 blades is still too much prop. 83mph @5000 with 1.50 ratio & 30p 5 blades. Works out to 12.39 or so prop slip, much better. I have some 30p 4 blade bravo 1s to try, not sure what they will do I'm guessing I'll pick up 200 or so rpms, I would like to be at 5400 if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.