Notices

454 carb choice

Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 carb choice

i have a 454 30 over 10.1 compression with air gap intake 049 heads,12212-14 howards cam .
i have a 800cfm quadrajet on it now. Do i need something bigger? When i do get something bigger how do i connect the linkage and bracket to a holley carb? thanx

Last edited by Smithelectric; 06-27-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will see better performance with a holley DP in the 750-800 range...
Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered

The Q jet jetted properly will give same wide open perf. As the Holley. If you are looking for that mid range punch when on and off the sticks go for Holley. 800 will work fine. Eather carb get a big area flame assrestor. Hooking up linkage most likely you have to use the type that goes under carb, thin plate that as an arm that linkage hooks to. Any of the aftermarket co. Have them. You made be able to modify the set up you have already. Depending what type cables you have in boat you may have to change throttle cable
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll probably get trashed for saying this but,nothing wrong with a quadrajet for general duty .800 cfm should be plenty for that motor.A Quadrajet, if set up properly is a reliable carb
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by motor
I'll probably get trashed for saying this but,nothing wrong with a quadrajet for general duty .800 cfm should be plenty for that motor.A Quadrajet, if set up properly is a reliable carb
You hit the nail on the head they are great carbs. Very easy to jet and great fuel economy I have used them both on boats and cars, had no choice on carb. when drag racing in super stock they were always just as fast top end. The only thing that I could never over come in boats was that hit a holley gives from there big accelerator pumps when you hit the throttle.