Notices

Single turbine V bottom?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 375 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Single turbine V bottom?

I'm planning convert my 34' Scarab to about 1400-2000hp single gas turbine (T58, T53, T55, isotov tv3 or some else) with arneson asd 8. Boat will probably run 90-100mph if it stay stabile. It's long story to tell all my plans, but I have few things that need opinions. What is the max prop shaft rpm to run with surface piercing prop? How rpm affect to chine walk, stern lift, prop slip and efficiency? Is big pitch, low rpm better than small pitch, high rpm? My old scarab engine room will reduce weight much, how about center of gravity? How much weight I should leave in engine room? How much you think Scarab 34 can run with 1500 turbine hp (boat will be much lighter with single turbine...) what would be absolutely max speed that hull can handle (I drive only small lakes)? Transom and engine room is already reinforced.
I have seen Y2K boat with turbine, does anyone know how it runs? speed, handling? Yes, it's total different boat than old scarab, but I just like to know.
Sorry my worse english.......
Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend the T53 for many reasons. Here is my e-mail address [email protected]. I can answer all of these questions. I love this idea. Lets talk Jim.
Originally Posted by ksalmine
I'm planning convert my 34' Scarab to about 1400-2000hp single gas turbine (T58, T53, T55, isotov tv3 or some else) with arneson asd 8. Boat will probably run 90-100mph if it stay stabile. It's long story to tell all my plans, but I have few things that need opinions. What is the max prop shaft rpm to run with surface piercing prop? How rpm affect to chine walk, stern lift, prop slip and efficiency? Is big pitch, low rpm better than small pitch, high rpm? My old scarab engine room will reduce weight much, how about center of gravity? How much weight I should leave in engine room? How much you think Scarab 34 can run with 1500 turbine hp (boat will be much lighter with single turbine...) what would be absolutely max speed that hull can handle (I drive only small lakes)? Transom and engine room is already reinforced.
I have seen Y2K boat with turbine, does anyone know how it runs? speed, handling? Yes, it's total different boat than old scarab, but I just like to know.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with Jamesp7453.
Some random thoughts.
The 53 is shorter then the 58 by about two feet.
The 53 also has the proper gear reduction unlike the 55 which will require a custom gearbox.
The 55 really cant compare horsepower rating because it is twice that of the 53 or the 58.
I would mount the 53 as deep in the bilge as possible to aid in honoring a low center of gravity.
Run a top mount starter/generator available from SCS gearbox.
You will have a much better selection of propellers keeping with the 6600 propeller speed.
You can mount the 53 either way.
You can run the drive shaft right under and straight to the arneson with no dropbox
like this
Exhaust is at rear.

Last edited by KNOT-RIGHT; 12-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

or you can run a short shaft to a arneson with a drop box.
like this.
Exhaust is forward
Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

If you get a chance take Jamessp7453 up on that email he can provide you with some very competitive pricing and support on the T53.
here is some of his children

Last edited by KNOT-RIGHT; 12-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know what you need.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Registered

t53 is probably the best turbine for me... It's smart mount turbine backwards (exhaust rear), driveshaft under turbine. Is there chain drive in turbine "dropbox", or gears? machining, milling, tig welding etc, etc is not problem to me, so I will do whole powerline myself.... Drawjob about arneson style surface drive is ready. Does anyone have #6 style propshaft spline drawing with dimensions to share? material of propshaft is also ¨bit unclear. Are UNS 31803 (F51) 1.4462 or UNS 32760 (F55) 1.4410 strenght enough, so I won't lose expensive prop and blow my turbine.....
Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ksalmine
I wonder what ever happened with that project. It's been a while since this site was updated? http://www.turbokart.com/turbineboat2.htm
Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Registered

There are no posts in 4 years... Run out of money or got difficult problems, who knows?

Did anybody have experience about Turbomeca engines? TM333 (good pressure ratio!), Turmo or Makila. They are 1200-2300 hp range engines... Reduction gear is not problem, I have tons of different planetary gears, so it's simple to do 5:1 - 3:1 reduction and drop power shaft rpm down.

I think I won't use transmission, there will be only crash box to drive forward with turbine. Using auxialiry engine, could be smart. for instance Toyota Yaris 1.0, 65hp, full aluminium engine (weight about 70kg) with it's own transmission and clutch. So I can drive under 10mph speeds, full silence, and use it at generator. All auxiliary equipment, 12v, 24v generators, water pumps and steering hydraulics can be driven by tiny toyota... It can also produce warm water to swimplatform shower, in Finland we have cold waters...